Author Topic: Racing experience on chiner.  (Read 1378 times)

PrincessZeeeeta

Racing experience on chiner.
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »
Hi. I'm newbie XC racer and I want to buy IP-057 frame. Does anyone have race experience on that frames? I mean how hard it can be used without damages. It has pretty sweet price, but I worrying for my teeth, lol.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:43:42 AM by PrincessZeeeeta »

PrincessZeeeeta

Re: Race experience on chiner.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »
Another one question: how stiff that frame?

adbl

Re: Race experience on chiner.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »
I built my 057 one year ago and have beating the crap out of it ever since!!! This is my first hardtail. I've always ridden full squish bikes so i was concerned about the harsh ride as you are. I am 53 years old, 210 lbs, strong and ride 2-3 times a week. Here in North Carolina we ride a lot of single track that tends to be very rooty so if there's any terrain that will  test your teeth chattering theory it's here. I ride on Maxxis Ikons front and rear 2.25 so not the widest tires. The bike complete weighs in at 22lbs. It is wicked fast!!! I'm sure there are lighter frames out there and i know my bike could drop a pound/pound and a half but the bike feels light, fast and more maneuverable than anything else i've ridden. I love the bike!!! There is not a nick, scratch or crack on it. The design has been proven over the years and the carbon layup schedule has not been changed because they don't want to screw with the reliability. If you search you won't find many posts about failures.

The frame is very stiff! So stiff i change the bottom bracket twice a year. I'm now going to invest in a RWC BB with ceramic bearings and see if it last longer and pedals smoother. When you get out of the saddle and hammer on the crank it takes all the power you can give!!!. The only thing to think about is power transfer to the rear wheel is so direct you need to put thought into what tire you are going to use to get the most traction you can. When i stand up it's so easy to break loose my Ikons....lol! I'm considering switching to the Maxxis Ardent Race to gain a bit more traction without killing the rolling resistance.

All in all it's a great bike and would recommend it to anyone considering a hardtail. It's that good!!!

Sitar_Ned

Re: Racing experience on chiner.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 06:03:18 PM »
Been cranking on mine for over 2 years now. I weigh about 210-220 geared up and the frame has been great. No problems at all.

I think the 057 has completely proven itself at this point. I can't recall a single reported failure of any kind.

charlesrg

Re: Racing experience on chiner.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:45:59 PM »
I raced 057 and 036, won several races on them even a state championship. Now racing is a broad term. I won cat 3 races, those are low grade races. I'm racing cat 2 now and haven't won any race yet, I training to get there.
Yes the bike can take a beating. But like anything it can break.