Author Topic: BB30 or BSA....  (Read 1530 times)

huskydriver

BB30 or BSA....
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:44:39 AM »
like the title says, BB30 or BSA.  I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the BB30.  I'm getting ready to order two frames.  I know BSA is just easier to deal with, but are their any drawbacks to using the BSA?  I have a chinese road and cross frame both in BB30, but just curious if anybody has had any issues in the mtb.  What advantages would I have with the BB30 over the BSA?  I'm ordering the Trident Thrust xc frame, and if you have any comments on the frame I'd appreciate those also.

adbl

Re: BB30 or BSA....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 04:18:47 PM »
My M06 has a BB92 bottom bracket. I've been riding it for 1.5 years now with no issues or creeks. I think a lot has to do with the installation. You really should buy the proper tools to press the bearings in straight and firm. Other than that make sure the frame you are buying has enough strength in the bottom bracket area. Press-in bearings need more support there than threaded bottom brackets. No doubt BSA bottom brackets are much stronger (in my opinion). The threading of the bearing cup into the frame creates it's own anchoring point. Plus it's easier to remove the bearing for a thorough cleaning and greasing! I'm not sure how a press-in frame would tolerate frequent installation and removal of the bearing cups.

huskydriver

Re: BB30 or BSA....
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 07:28:35 AM »
Ya, it's a good question, but once the cups are pressed in place I'm not sure how often you would be replacing them.  I'm not sure if there's any truth to say BB30, but I've read that on some other press in BB's it actually allows for a stiffer and beefier BB area and thats why they go with press in.  My road bike frame is a BB30 and I'm running Campy Ultra Torque cranks so it needed a different type of press in cup, but regardless, I haven't had any issues or creaks out of my road bike and I've probably got over 5000 miles on it.  The Trident frame is going for $249 shipped, so I may just get one in BB30 as well......LOL!!!!