Author Topic: Hi there! Question about doing a 29er build  (Read 1405 times)

somnambulistz

Hi there! Question about doing a 29er build
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:43:26 AM »
Hi everybody!

Names Jordan, been riding a scott heavy 29er with studded tires throughout the Canadian winter (it's a hardtail altus custom build i got like new), and i kinda spent the farm on a road bike for charity rides, but really love my 29er for comfort and urban knocking around. Especially with big city pot holes and small paths (the use for this bike as I am not a mountain biker per say).

I'm lucky enough to have a LBS that will build any bike under the sun for me, and can't dump a huge amount into a custom 29er build but by the same token can't buy the high priced boutique ones either.

Knowing my frame size, and with your collective knowledge, i was wondering if you could shed light on the best way to get a chiner frame, and what you feel is the best on the current market (i am looking for plain black and simple). I have purchased groupsets from CRC and know that there is savings to be had, but don't want to jump into a frame where finding the right headset and other parts becomes problematic.

From the pictures in the forum they look like a spectacular alternative and since they can run slicks i'm thinking this would be a great strength training / urban A-B bike.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out and keep safe out there!

charlesrg

Re: Hi there! Question about doing a 29er build
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »
My recommendation is to find a model that you like and then clone the parts on the build list.
There are lots of posts that share the build list.
So once you decide on the frame, you order the parts accordingly. if the headset is a concern you can order one with the frame.
On the model, there are so many, and each set for particular use type. Plus tires, big travel, XC racing lightweight.
You need to check the geometry and see how it will fit on you and the use that you will put.
If you want to be anal about it, go to bikecad.ca and draw your current bike and the new frame you want to buy so you can check the fit.

somnambulistz

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 02:05:27 AM »
awesome ty so much!

i'll keep everyone posted for sure. I can't justify 4K on a mountain bike for urbanscapes, it's just too much....

mr.doom

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
I just ordered a frame from Ebay as it was cheap and simple. If I wanted a new 29er with a  suspension fork and components I would have got a factory plus bike, parts are expensive.