Author Topic: Belt Driven Carbon  (Read 9692 times)

charlesrg

Belt Driven Carbon
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »
Has anyone seem any of those ? I've gone through the dark corners of the web and could not find anyone making it.

I'm looking to build a belted cyclocross bike, most likely will use Nuvinci N360 or N380 or perhaps Alfine 8 or Alfine 11. Not sure yet, but sure I want a belt so after wet rides I can hose it off and be done with it.

Anders_MUC

Re: Belt Driven Carbon
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 07:32:20 AM »
In order to mount a belt drive you need a frame with a chainstay or seatstay that can be opened. You can divide a chain, but you can't divide a belt.

I doubt that there are any suitable carbon frames available at all.

SportingGoods

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:10:12 AM »
This would work with the CS-496. Not a CX frame though, but it would work thanks to the unique design of the chainstay.

Patrick C.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:37:49 AM »
Would you still need an eccentric bottom bracket or some other way to tension it? 

Jerryno

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »
Nope, you won't find a chiner frame for belted cyclocross bike.

I hope you plan a single-speed, I am against transmissions in the rear hub. The only thing that I would approve is http://pinion.eu/en/. The transmission is in the right place, there is belt option, it has great gear range, it is weather proof & maintenance free and they have some frame options in carbon (not sure if cyclocross though).

If you find anything share the bike on the forum, it would be very interesting to see such build.

charlesrg

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
This would work with the CS-496. Not a CX frame though, but it would work thanks to the unique design of the chainstay.

Thanks. I ended up building it in Titanium. Bike works well. Used a chinese firm to put it together after I drew the frame.