Author Topic: Another CS-MB01 Build has started!  (Read 3436 times)

gohloum

Another CS-MB01 Build has started!
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
So, some of my riding buddies have been so impressed with the punishment I have put my bike through (and a few serious crashes), that one of them forked up some greenbacks and I ordered him a frame that I will be assembling.

So far, the build will be SRAM XX1 11 speed drive train, Fox Stepcast 32 fork (black), Hope Tech3 X2 Brakes, and a slightly used set of Easton wheels with MI hubs from his backup bike.  We are working out the details on some of the other components, but once I have more info and pics, I will post them.

He ordered the same size frame as mine. Currently, mine sits at 20.3lbs with GX drive train and carbon wheels from Peter.  I think my my wheels will be a little lighter, but his drive train is considerably lighter.  Hopefully his will be sub 20lbs when complete.   ;)

More to come soon!

gohloum

Re: Another CS-MB01 Build has started!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »
So, here are some pics of the build and a few with it next to mine.  I almost like the black fork better, LOL!

XX1 Drive train and Hope Tech 3 X2 brakes.

And for those of you wondering, yes, those are vintage Shimano M-737 pedals on the bike.  I needed something mounted so I could take it for a test ride.  :-)

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
Sharp looking bikes! Thanks for sharing.

A few questions, if you don't mind:

- Is that a chiner seat? How do you like it? I'm curious about longterm durability with those, but interested due to the price, weight, and surprisingly positive reviews in regards to comfort that I've read.

- Do you think the frame inserts in the seat stays effectively absorb terrain?

- What was the weight? Sub 20lb?

Bhaalgorn

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
- Is that a chiner seat? How do you like it? I'm curious about longterm durability with those, but interested due to the price, weight, and surprisingly positive reviews in regards to comfort that I've read.

I've definitely wondered the same about that saddle, and I'm curious to hear OP's thoughts.

MTB2223

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 06:52:38 AM »

I've definitely wondered the same about that saddle, and I'm curious to hear OP's thoughts.
The saddle is crap. It's cheap and it's crap. Used the same saddle for a couple of month and it didn't hold my weight (82kg) and shown a crack. Bought one for my 8yr old son, and the same problem.
Pictures: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,184.msg5658.html#msg5658

It's better to buy this one, is slightly heavier (15gr), but more durable.
https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=126354;menu=1000,4,37
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:55:14 AM by MTB2223 »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
Oh okay.. Thanks for the heads up, MTB.

The one you suggest, it seems I can't find for sale in US. I'm sure it's available just under a different name.. I'll search a bit.

Jerryno

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 11:05:41 AM »
What chainring did you manage to fit? Is that 38T?

Le Duke

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Minion SS on an XC HT...

Why do you hate speed?

gohloum

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »
Sharp looking bikes! Thanks for sharing.

A few questions, if you don't mind:

- Do you think the frame inserts in the seat stays effectively absorb terrain?

- What was the weight? Sub 20lb?

I can't speak for the seat on the new MB01 other than a short test ride and it seems comfortable.  However I find the full carbon seat on mine to be more comfortable believe it or not, and with a gloss finish, it's easy to move around on to position weight on technical sections. I actually rode a buddy's bike last week with a padded high end Selle saddle and hated it.  Feels like the leather grabs at my shorts and I couldn't find a comfort zone.

Yes, the inserts do take some bang out of the ride.  I used a follow cam under the seat and there is about 3-5mm of vertical movement on harder hits like root and rocks.  Probably another reason why the carbon seat doesn't chatter my back teeth out, LOL!

My bike is 20.3.  Mainly because I have GX on it and it's not the lightest, especially the crank.  His bike is basically the same weight, but that's because of wheel set and those tires are heavy, I weighed them and they are 825g!  Mine are 613g front and 641g back.  His bike sits at 20.6, but I imagine if we switched wheels, his would be high 18s or low 19s.

gohloum

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
What chainring did you manage to fit? Is that 38T?

My bike has the blue KORE 34T.  We put a RaceFace 36T on it. With a SRAM GXP BSA bottom bracket, I used both 2mm spacers + an extra 1mm spacer on the non drive side.  As the bike sits, you could put a 38 on it, there is enough clearance, but I would move that 1mm from the non drive to the drive side just to make a little extra space.  A bigger ring has a better chance to get bent by obstacles, so just in case, make some space.  1mm isn't going to whack out the chain line.

gohloum

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
Minion SS on an XC HT...

Why do you hate speed?

It was the customer's choice of tires, and it was a setup specifically for CRP Trail here which is basically a 10 mile, clay, pedal track.  Yeah, they are a little heavier, but they roll super fast and there's not much technical on that course.  We have several riders running them on that course and they work quite well.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »

I can't speak for the seat on the new MB01 other than a short test ride and it seems comfortable.  However I find the full carbon seat on mine to be more comfortable believe it or not, and with a gloss finish, it's easy to move around on to position weight on technical sections. I actually rode a buddy's bike last week with a padded high end Selle saddle and hated it.  Feels like the leather grabs at my shorts and I couldn't find a comfort zone.

Yes, the inserts do take some bang out of the ride.  I used a follow cam under the seat and there is about 3-5mm of vertical movement on harder hits like root and rocks.  Probably another reason why the carbon seat doesn't chatter my back teeth out, LOL!

My bike is 20.3.  Mainly because I have GX on it and it's not the lightest, especially the crank.  His bike is basically the same weight, but that's because of wheel set and those tires are heavy, I weighed them and they are 825g!  Mine are 613g front and 641g back.  His bike sits at 20.6, but I imagine if we switched wheels, his would be high 18s or low 19s.

Awesome.. Thanks for the reply.

I love the dampening tech that's being incorporated into frames. Looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

carbonazza

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 04:18:20 PM »
... I find the full carbon seat on mine to be more comfortable believe it or not, and with a gloss finish, it's easy to move around on to position weight on technical sections...

You could try a Gub 1156 (available on thew web, mainly from aliexpress between $40-$50).
I started with bare carbon models too, but the little padding(if it can be called like this) of the gub makes it my preferred saddle so far.
I did recently the cobble rich Tour of Flanders with it, and no pain :)

bxcc

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
Not to derail the thread but I recently got a Gub 1159. It's 138mm wide and is nearly identical to my Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle from 2013 (before the WSD versions). Unfortunately I'm waiting for my new tires and the trails to dry out so I haven't tried it yet. $38 shipped so it's an affordable experiment.