Author Topic: take chance on $15 NECO  (Read 5282 times)

danK

take chance on $15 NECO
« on: March 31, 2017, 06:37:43 AM »
About to place order for 057, and it seems a few warn to stay away from the NECO headset, but a search shows few riders have no issue for years.

I'm a Cane Creek 40 series kind of rider, no need to spend big bucks on a headset, but is the overwhelming consensus "stay away from the $15 Neco" and go with a $30 Cane Creek, or is the Neco a good way to save a few bucks?

Thanks. Great forum (obviously joined moments ago).

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:42:07 AM by danK »

exzos

Re: take chance on $15 NECO
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 06:43:58 AM »
Very impressed with the quality on mine

MTB2223

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:07:11 AM »
it seems a few warn to stay away from the NECO headset, but a search shows few riders have no issue for years.
That's nonsense. The NECO headset is a good headset. The best you can get for the money. The CC isn't as twice better than the NECO. When there's water or mud in the headset, the CC is warned out as quick as the NECO.

I've got multiple NECO headset on stock. If one of the  current headsets is warned out, I'll replace it. Once in a year or two. We're all riding NECO (three chiners, three NECO's). And they last at least a year without problem.

danK

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »
Thank you!

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 08:00:52 AM »
I had the exact same thoughts when I built mine and ended up going with the CC. If I had to do it again (when I do it again) I'll probably just go with the Neco.

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:22:37 AM »
My vote would be to get the NECO and then a CC lower race. The two generic frames i have, both came with the NECO headsets and they have been fine. But the lower race does not have any seals to it. It's just an aluminum lower race. I think the CC races that have some seals built into them would be a good addition if you thought it would help. And they are only $10 from any LBS.

RS VR6

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »
What I do like about those aluminum crown races is that they are split. No need to hammer it on. Same with removal...no tools needed.

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »
That's nonsense. The NECO headset is a good headset. The best you can get for the money. The CC isn't as twice better than the NECO. When there's water or mud in the headset, the CC is warned out as quick as the NECO.

I've got multiple NECO headset on stock. If one of the  current headsets is warned out, I'll replace it. Once in a year or two. We're all riding NECO (three chiners, three NECO's). And they last at least a year without problem.

Maybe the CC would last 2 years or longer?

danK

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 10:16:08 PM »
This was my first Chinese frame but multiple LB rims are in the garage. Service has been better or quicker than some US-based companies! In fact, I had a highly regarded long low slack aluminum 29er HT based out of Utah on the short list but the company never replied. I know emails get lost and phone calls are missed for good reason, and it's not to bash anyone, merely pointing out Peter's quick customer service. Looking forward to having a backup bike and pseudo gravel/bad weather ride.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:41:47 PM by Sitar_Ned »

adbl

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
No need to worry about Neco headsets. I have one road bike and two mountain bikes that i abuse with Neco headsets and no issues at all. Still feel smooth and sturdy. One place to spend your money though is bottom brackets!

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 07:43:42 PM »
This was my first Chinese frame but multiple LB rims are in the garage. Service has been better or quicker than some US-based companies! In fact, I had a highly regarded long low slack aluminum 29er HT based out of Utah on the short list but the company never replied. I know emails get lost and phone calls are missed for good reason, and it's not to bash anyone, merely pointing out Peter's quick customer service. Looking forward to having a backup bike and pseudo gravel/bad weather ride.

Oops. I went to post a reply in this thread quoting you, but accidentally edited your comment instead. Sorry about that. I think it's back to it's original wording.

gohloum

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »
I have a NECO on my bike and it's great.  I did some snooping around on Aliexpress, and BTX has the exact same headset with no branding for $9 instead of $15.  It's on my new build and working just fine.

BTX seems to have a few things out there that look interesting.  I've seen a set of aluminum wheels for around the $160 mark for a set.  This season, I'll probably order a set as an emergency backup in the event I bust up one of my carbon wheels.  It's a reasonable price to keep me pedaling while dealing with repairing my main wheels (like ordering a new hoop which will take at least a week to get here).

Their 29er hard tail frame looks interesting too. 

GuitsBoy

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
I have had probably 6 or 7 NECO headsets over the years.  One time I developed some creaking and clicking, and when I pulled the fork, the lower bearing had come apart.  Come to find out the bearing only had about half the balls it was supposed to have.  But this was an isolated incident.  All the other neco headsets Ive had have been flawless.