Author Topic: CS-FS27 Build  (Read 13119 times)

Luke.moore

Re: CS-FS27 Build
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
So I talked to the graphics people today. I'm going hand the frame over to them (stripped down) before I complete the build. They are working up an idea of what needs to be done to protect the paint. I'll let everyone know details as soon as I get some.

Luke.moore

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
FYI - Rear rotor size is listed as 160mm. I have 180mm rotors with a 20mm spacer.  I put the spacer and caliper on and it was 20mm too tall for the rotor. I direct mounted the caliper and it fit  the 180mm rotor perfectly. I don't have any 160mm rotors to test with but i would guess that they would be too small.

Luke.moore

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
Does anyone know how to unlock the rear triangle? It's rigid right now...probably that way for safer shipping.
Speaking of shipping it only took a week for the bike to show up after it was shipped. No custom issues at all.

bxcc

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »
One week is awesome!

What do you mean by locked? Once the dummy shock is removed, it should go through its travel pretty easily.

Luke.moore

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 01:55:39 PM »
One week is awesome!

What do you mean by locked? Once the dummy shock is removed, it should go through its travel pretty easily.
It didn't come with a dummy shock...nothing at all in there. Its just solid, like it's locked somewhere.

Luke.moore

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »
So...I'm pretty sure I mounted my tubeless Maxxis Ikon tire backwards. I don't think I want to fix it. Thoughts?

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »
Your shock situation is certainly an odd one.. I'm wondering if one of the bolts is seized? I'm curious to hear how you fix that issue. In terms of the tire I ran a tire backwards for a few months and I honestly didn't notice a huge difference. You might wear the tread down faster if the treads are angled towards the intended direction of travel though. I'd ride it a bit and if you get bored one day then flip it around. I've found resealing my tires to be a breeze once they're ridden for a bit.

McFaker

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 04:29:46 PM »
I'm really curious what's going on with your rear triangle. I would loosen all the suspension hardware half a turn and see if it moves freely then.

As an aside, do you own a torq wrench? If not I would definitely recommend getting one. I have a park tools set which includes a 1/4" drive wrench, Allen and torx bits, it was like $80. I couldn't help myself on Black Friday and bought basically the same thing at harbor freight for < $10. Without a sale you can probably get a 1/4" torq wrench and bit set from harbor freight for $20.

Luke.moore

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »
I'm really curious what's going on with your rear triangle. I would loosen all the suspension hardware half a turn and see if it moves freely then.

As an aside, do you own a torq wrench? If not I would definitely recommend getting one. I have a park tools set which includes a 1/4" drive wrench, Allen and torx bits, it was like $80. I couldn't help myself on Black Friday and bought basically the same thing at harbor freight for < $10. Without a sale you can probably get a 1/4" torq wrench and bit set from harbor freight for $20.
The frame and wheels are at the graphics place. I'll try loosening the triangle as soon as i get it back.  I also emailed Peter about the issue. Hope it's something easy.
I did get a cheap torque wrench from Amazon and it works great so far. Figured that and a bike repair stand were pretty important.

bxcc

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 06:52:24 PM »
Definitely keep us posted on the lock up issue.

As for torque wrenches, it's good to get them calibrated when you first get them if they haven't been at the factory. If you can get them checked periodically, that's good too. If they stay in a case and aren't abused, once every few years is fine. I use them almost everyday so mine are checked every 6 months but that is quite excessive for most. Dropping them on concrete, say off of a toolbox, voids the calibration too. That's just a PSA about torque wrenches.

Luke.moore

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »
Definitely keep us posted on the lock up issue.

As for torque wrenches, it's good to get them calibrated when you first get them if they haven't been at the factory. If you can get them checked periodically, that's good too. If they stay in a case and aren't abused, once every few years is fine. I use them almost everyday so mine are checked every 6 months but that is quite excessive for most. Dropping them on concrete, say off of a toolbox, voids the calibration too. That's just a PSA about torque wrenches.

What kind of place calibrated a torque wrench?

mnguyen1224

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 10:50:34 PM »
You get this thing built up yet?  Any rides?

Luke.moore

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:32 PM »
You get this thing built up yet?  Any rides?
Not yet.  The paint protector film guy is taking forever. Over three weeks now. Never using him again. Sorry for the delay in the build.

tripleDot

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2017, 12:31:50 AM »
3 weeks?  Is he wrapping every bolts and nuts individually too?
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Luke.moore

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 01:08:50 AM »
3 weeks?  Is he wrapping every bolts and nuts individually too?
So i got it back today.  He used his plotter/cutter to make a template so there are no visible seems. It looks really good. Pics in the morning. 

The rear triangle just needed to be loosened at the top pivot an 8th turn and it swings freely. I've got it roughly together and the build was easy. I ran the rear break outside until i figure out how to cut the hose to feed it through the top tube. Ill need a bleed kit then too. 
Another problem with the rear shock is that it will be impossible to attach the pump to the stem on the shock with the shock mounted. Ill play with the offset bushings tomorrow to see what i can do about that. The stem is too close to the frame right now.
I'll update more in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:32:34 PM by Luke.moore »