Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

New Wheelset

(1/4) > >>

bdub:
Hey Guys, haven't been following the forum for awhile but I built a 057 a few years ago and opted for some pretty cheap wheels. Now I am looking to upgrade to a better set maybe even carbon if I can afford. I however am not very versed in wheels, hubs, etc, so need some advise. If you guys had $500 to spend on some new wheels what would you guys go with to outfit a 057?

Midwest-MTBer:
So I ordered my wheels right from Peter when I bought my frame, so I'm not sure how much shipping would be. I purchased the FHR930C Wheels with DT Swiss 350 hubs. If I was to do it all again I'd actually buy the HR935C wide rims. They have a 30mm interior width vs the 25mm width I have currently. Not saying that I'm not happy with my current setup, but the extra width would really help spread the tire even more. Whatever you decide to do I recommend the DT Swiss hubs highly.

bxcc:
Is $500 your max budget? If so, try to find some of the new Stans wheels. I have the Crest MK3 rims laced to DT 350 hubs and I've been very pleased with them. The are quite narrow at 23mm inner compared to what I normally like but they are on a XC singlespeed so they are fine.

If you could push it to $650ish, Peter can do most of his rims (pick your flavor) laced to DT 350 hubs using Sapim double butted spokes for about $650 shipped to the US. It's going to be VERY hard to beat that price for some good quality carbon rims and name brand bullet proof hubs. To save some weight, opt for the centerlock version of the 350 hubs.

lRaphl:
Going with novatech hubs instead of DT 350 would bring the price down closer to your budget. Check with Peter what he can do.

You can also check there. I built a wheelset with their 36mm rims.

http://www.carbonbicycle.cc/proshow.php?cid=68&tid=9&id=184#.WQCiojffO70

bdub:
Thanks guys. $500 should be my max budget, don't want to make the wife angry.

One last question I had on rim width. I see a pretty big difference in sizing and want to make sure I get the ones that will fit the 057 and my style the best. Typically I do your normal cross country riding, nothing extreme or to crazy. I live in Utah so my rides consist up climbing up the mountain and then riding back down. What do you guys think would work the best and what size can my frame accommodate?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version