Author Topic: Charles M06 XL build  (Read 8377 times)

charlesrg

Re: Charles M06 XL build
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »
The 036 is often speced at 110-120mm of rear travel. Do you feel any difference with the 100mm of the M06 or it seems to have the same amount of travel as the 036?
My IP036 was running on 100mm. The travel on this is the same. The bike is lower to the ground but travel is same. The big difference here is climbing and reduced the rear wheel play.

lRaphl

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »
Quote from: charlesrg
By the way, I'm running 2.35 tires on it without rub, I think that's as wide as it would take.

Are the Ikon 2.35 true to size?

My IP036 was running on 100mm. The travel on this is the same. The bike is lower to the ground but travel is same. The big difference here is climbing and reduced the rear wheel play.

I'm running X-King 2.4 on my 036 (they are true to size) and sometimes when I corner really hard the rear end flex so much that the tire rub on the chainstays. So if the rear of the M06 is stiffer, it's good news.

charlesrg

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
By the way, I'm running 2.35 tires on it without rub, I think that's as wide as it would take.

Are the Ikon 2.35 true to size?

I'm running X-King 2.4 on my 036 (they are true to size) and sometimes when I corner really hard the rear end flex so much that the tire rub on the chainstays. So if the rear of the M06 is stiffer, it's good news.

I think the 036 has larger tire clearance than M06. I will measure take the measurements to ensure it's accurate. I was running 2.35 on the 036 as well with no rub. Keep in mind wheel width also plays a big role on how wide the tire will set.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:45:28 PM by charlesrg »

charlesrg

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 10:44:10 PM »
By the way, while ordering I asked Melody about the bottle cage, and she said not to worry. So I tried to fit a bottle in and the results are in the pictures.
This are my smallest bottles. So no chance using this with a top loader bottle cage. They do work on a side loader but only the small bottles.
I think the bottle cage holes should have been made lower. Sometimes this kinda of failure makes me wonder if they actually ridden any of this frames before started selling.

Klaster_1

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 02:58:24 AM »
I think the bottle cage holes should have been made lower.
Definitely this, my backwards mounted shock barely clears the bottle. Maybe you should try lower sitting cage or a zip tie, like what Steven did.

charlesrg

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
I think the bottle cage holes should have been made lower.
Definitely this, my backwards mounted shock barely clears the bottle. Maybe you should try lower sitting cage or a zip tie, like what Steven did.
My solution was to put a side loader bottle cage. That allows for small bottles to fit.

charlesrg

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »
Did my third race on the bike. Issues with pedals hitting the ground on turns are starting to become an issue. In my last race twice I ended up unclipped on a turn due to pedal hitting rocks.
The bobbing of the frame is also becoming a bit of a pain. I'm planning on recording it with a gopro to see how much it interferes during climbs.

lRaphl

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »
Do you think the bobbing would still be an issue with a platform mode on the rear shock instead of your fully open / locked out one?

charlesrg

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »
Do you think the bobbing would still be an issue with a platform mode on the rear shock instead of your fully open / locked out one?
I'm not sure what do you mean with platform mode. Rockshox has Lock/Unlock and the lock is not 100% lock. I guess if I had a fox shock I could put on 100% lock that would help. However I think bobbing has to do with the pivot points and geometry of the articulations. Design also influences anti-squat and anti-rise.

lRaphl

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »
With platform mode, I mean the "Trail" mode of fox, the "Pedal" mode of Rockshox or "Drive" mode of DT Swiss to name a few. The drive mode of my DT Swiss X313 shock reduce bobing on my IP-036 to nearly zero.

charlesrg

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
Farewell my dear M06 frame. Today while racing the frame just broke in half. There was no Crash. I was still able to finish the race but I won't be racing on it again.
It lasted 13 months however I didn't use during the winter. Not sure if I should buy a brand frame or replace this.
This is my third chiner I broke.
So far I broke an 036 rear triangle another 036 seat tube and now the top tube. None of them crashing.

samroy92

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 01:37:06 AM »
Farewell my dear M06 frame. Today while racing the frame just broke in half. There was no Crash. I was still able to finish the race but I won't be racing on it again.
It lasted 13 months however I didn't use during the winter. Not sure if I should buy a brand frame or replace this.
This is my third chiner I broke.
So far I broke an 036 rear triangle another 036 seat tube and now the top tube. None of them crashing.

Damn. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh?

mechDad

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 12:58:02 PM »
wow, I know it sucks to have a frame break like that, but to be able to walk away from a break is always good. Will a brand frame survive your racing any better -- who knows??

charlesrg

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
I weight between 185 and 190, yesterday I was at 190.
I finished the race riding it. As I was going through some ruts I heard a big BANG, and thought was the seat that moved, however when I finished the race I noticed the extra suspension linkage that was just created.
Brand frame would have definitely be replaced at no charge with an extra sorry from the manufacturer. I'm trying to see if seller will accept the warranty as there was no crash. They advertise 2 years, this was 13 months.

mechDad

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 01:52:12 AM »
some brands don't cover racing in their warranties. Not considered normal use or some such rubbish. Hope your claim goes well.