Author Topic: Charles M06 XL build  (Read 8459 times)

charlesrg

Re: Charles M06 XL build
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »
some brands don't cover racing in their warranties. Not considered normal use or some such rubbish. Hope your claim goes well.
Haven't seen brands saying that warranty don't cover racing, if any brand did that I would not buy from them. Specially for XC or CX bikes that are race machines.

mechDad

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
Haven't seen brands saying that warranty don't cover racing, if any brand did that I would not buy from them. Specially for XC or CX bikes that are race machines.

Yes, its always good to ask to see the warranty before buying.
Think it's just wrong to build and sell a bike that is clearly for racing on, but then exclude the bike from warranty for racing it.

I wouldn't want to list any manufacturers here, but if you did a google search on "warranty excludes bicycles used for competition", you can see lots of examples of this going on in the small print, etc...

I've never known anyone to have a warranty claim refused because of this, but then I don't know many people who race, and have had to make a claim.

charlesrg

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »

Yes, its always good to ask to see the warranty before buying.
Think it's just wrong to build and sell a bike that is clearly for racing on, but then exclude the bike from warranty for racing it.

I wouldn't want to list any manufacturers here, but if you did a google search on "warranty excludes bicycles used for competition", you can see lots of examples of this going on in the small print, etc...

I've never known anyone to have a warranty claim refused because of this, but then I don't know many people who race, and have had to make a claim.

I googled it and I could not find much beyond a brand called Orange that gives 1 year warranty on racing and this thread.  Don't think any brand would harm themselves by excluding racers from their warranty, racers are some of the top ambassadors for the sport.

charlesrg

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 10:32:48 PM »
So far I'm getting no response on my e-mails to request warranty. I'm getting a feeling that the seller will try to just walk away. 
With brand frames with warranty available in the market for $1500 including shocks, it will be hard to justify buying a chiner frame with no warranty or reputation.

mechDad

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 03:10:01 AM »
I googled it and I could not find much beyond a brand called Orange that gives 1 year warranty on racing and this thread.  Don't think any brand would harm themselves by excluding racers from their warranty, racers are some of the top ambassadors for the sport.

OK, here is one for example, Giant is a fairly well known brand, but this is from their USA terms and conditions....

5. Exclusions. THE ABOVE WARRANTY, OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY, DOES NOT COVER NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION OR THE BICYCLE IS USED FOR OTHER THAN NORMAL ACTIVITIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FAILING TO FOLLOW THE OWNER’S MANUAL OR USING THE BICYCLE FOR COMMERCIAL ACTIVITIES OR IN COMPETITIVE EVENTS, INCLUD­ING BUT NOT LIMITED TO BICYCLE RACING, BICYCLE MOTORCROSS RACING, STUNT RIDING, RAMP JUMPING OR SIMILAR ACTIVITIES, AND TRAINING FOR SUCH ACTIVITIES OR EVENTS.

Like you said before, when I read things like this, it makes me look elsewhere for a bike. This exclusion may not get used much, but knowing my luck it would happen to me.

All besides the point really, as you are trying to get support on your frame. They should at least respond to your emails. I am guessing they responded to you fairly quickly when you made queries on purchasing.

carbonazza

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 04:51:20 AM »
Why say you were racing  ??? ?
If you hit the frame, ok it is on you.

But if there is a structural flaw that shows up after a few months of racing, instead of a couple of years of normal use, it is the same.
There was a flaw anyway.

Some very interesting videos on youtube about carbon parts, look for: luescher teknik

charlesrg

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »

OK, here is one for example, Giant is a fairly well known brand, but this is from their USA terms and conditions....

5. Exclusions. THE ABOVE WARRANTY, OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY, DOES NOT COVER NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION OR THE BICYCLE IS USED FOR OTHER THAN NORMAL ACTIVITIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FAILING TO FOLLOW THE OWNER’S MANUAL OR USING THE BICYCLE FOR COMMERCIAL ACTIVITIES OR IN COMPETITIVE EVENTS, INCLUD­ING BUT NOT LIMITED TO BICYCLE RACING, BICYCLE MOTORCROSS RACING, STUNT RIDING, RAMP JUMPING OR SIMILAR ACTIVITIES, AND TRAINING FOR SUCH ACTIVITIES OR EVENTS.

Like you said before, when I read things like this, it makes me look elsewhere for a bike. This exclusion may not get used much, but knowing my luck it would happen to me.

All besides the point really, as you are trying to get support on your frame. They should at least respond to your emails. I am guessing they responded to you fairly quickly when you made queries on purchasing.

Great you shared that. I definitely look at Giant differently now. It will be good trail talk topic if I catch a friend training on a Giant bike.

Shipwrecked

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
Curious to know what your new frame will be. I'm now on a Ican S8 for 500km's and it is performing well (no races). I only had to replace the shock bolts as they didn't fit the purpose (got bended). The weight for an Ican S8 XL frame (20,5") is 2300gram and in my opinion these additional grams are a contribution to the frame strength. I'm 98kg geared up. 

final forum

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »

Great you shared that. I definitely look at Giant differently now. It will be good trail talk topic if I catch a friend training on a Giant bike.

My giant Trance and Reign both had a sticker on the handlebars saying this bike is designed for competition. I assume that disclaimer is for the lower end bikes.

charlesrg

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »

My giant Trance and Reign both had a sticker on the handlebars saying this bike is designed for competition. I assume that disclaimer is for the lower end bikes.

Their website does not state that. Sticker vs policy I think policy take priority. It's a big bummer, but avoidable, I would not buy a Giant based on their policies.

mechDad

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »
This is why I didn't want to mention any specific brand names. I am sure there are many people who have had nothing but the best experiences with Giant warranty.

To be fair, they are not the only one's to specifically mention racing. While most others use a more generic term of "normal use". Who's definition of normal use though???

The other lovely t&c exclusion you see a lot is something along the lines of  ... "This warranty is void if the bicycle was not properly assembled by an authorised xxxx dealer."
Now, I can see why they have this, why should the brand be responsible for some ham fisted home mechanic breaking the frame during build, then try and claim it was defective.

But... there have been lots of people with cracked carbon seat/top tubes. Were all these results of frame defects? or results of bike build, etc? If you know you didn't cause the issue, but the brand thinks you did, it can cause problems with a warranty experience.

As you said in another post, at least with a brand bike, you can walk into an authorised shop and talk with someone. They are most likely to help you out, especially if you purchased from them in the first place. While a chiner frame manufacturer may ignore your emails as is what is happening now. Hard to beat a LBS on those points.

Those Yeti frame looks super cool btw. Wishing I could afford one.