Author Topic: Charles M06 XL build  (Read 8378 times)

charlesrg

Charles M06 XL build
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
New frame just arrived. I will post the build progress here as I go through.
So far the frame arrived and it weights 2070grams.

It will run XX1 on SID XX fork and XT brakes. I'm moving the components from my 036 cracked frame.

Klaster_1

Re: Charles M06 XL build
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:57:30 PM »
I'm moving the components from my 036 cracked frame.
What happened to your 036 exactly?

adbl

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »
Ooooo i'm very interested in this build. I have been eyeing one of these frames up for a while now. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on how it rides when you're finished.

charlesrg

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »
I'm moving the components from my 036 cracked frame.
What happened to your 036 exactly?
First I broke the left seatstay. I replaced it and done another 200 miles on it. Now I've a crack on the junction of the top tube and seat tube. So to replace that it will be major work. Instead of getting another 036 I decided to get this M06 as I thought to be better.
So far I'm very happy with the M06. The hardware junctions are better, I imagine it will have much less play.

charlesrg

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »
Ok, build is complete. I will be changing the seatpost next week but that's all it's missing. Weights 24.6lbs complete including pedals.
Wheels are All Mountain Carbon hookless 35mm wide. Tires are Maxxis Ikon 2.35
Highlights XX1 on Eagle cranks

I can easily make this bike weight 23lbs by changing the XT brakes to XTR and putting my XC wheels on it.

I didn't ride it yet. 3 things to note. Frame Rear wheel axle space is too wide, it's definitely out of spec, should be 142 but its like 146, for a moment I thought the shipped me a boost rear triangle.
The Rear wheel play is much less than the IP036. The play on the IP036 is pretty big, but I still won races with it. It really didn't affected my ride.
The bike geometry is really slack.
Will post more after riding this weekend.

RS VR6

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:34:49 PM »
Bike looks good 8).

Is there a way you can measure the head tube angle? I'd be using a 100mm fork too.

charlesrg

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
Bike looks good 8).

Is there a way you can measure the head tube angle? I'd be using a 100mm fork too.

The drawings show a 68.5 head angle. Better follow the drawings as my measurements without proper tools will be worst.

charlesrg

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
I've done a test ride and I can compare it to ip036 and IP057.
Geometry makes it more nimble and better to climb. The BB drop is low and I still need to get used to it. In my first turn I already scrapped the crank.
When comparing to the 057 the bike just climbs better even with the added weight. 24 vs 21
Now comparing to the 036 I feel the bike is much lower and aggressive. At the same time with a slacker head angle I feel it would be harder to go over the bars.
The hardware and finish details of this frame is also much better. The pivots are better and the bike has no play up/down. The rear sideways play is also much less than the 036. Feels much more solid.
Definitely an upgrade from the 036.
Only issues so far is the rear axle space is out of spec and I feel I got a wrong batch. This is causing me ghost shifts when I apply high torque on pedals.

Questions please let me know.

jaytee

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:26:43 PM »
The more you ride the better you'll like it. I also have the rear spacing out a few mm and at first had a bit of ghost shifting but i tracked it down to the full cable where it goes under the the BB at first i had zip ties around the cables to stop rubbing on the BB.
I replaced inner and outer cable and ran a piece of plastic tubing over the cable in a arch where it passes from the main frame to rear so it can move freely with the suspension and it now has crisp gear change.
I tried 100 forks at first then went to 120m fox 34s  seems to really suit the frame for me ......loving his bike so far.

adbl

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »
When comparing to the 057 the bike just climbs better even with the added weight. 24 vs 21

So, i have an 057 as well and it climbs very well. You feel the M06 climbs even better? That would mean the pedaling efficiency is really good! Do you feel any pedal bob under load?

adbl

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »
I tried 100 forks at first then went to 120m fox 34s  seems to really suit the frame for me ......loving his bike so far.

I'm looking at this frame as well and was going to build it with a 120mm fork. Do you feel it makes the bike feel more enduro like or is it just as quick and nimble as a xc bike? I would like the bike to still be quick and nimble but also want to take advantage of a little more travel and slightly slacker geometry. Yes, i want my cake and eat it too  ;D

charlesrg

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »
The more you ride the better you'll like it. I also have the rear spacing out a few mm and at first had a bit of ghost shifting but i tracked it down to the full cable where it goes under the the BB at first i had zip ties around the cables to stop rubbing on the BB.
I replaced inner and outer cable and ran a piece of plastic tubing over the cable in a arch where it passes from the main frame to rear so it can move freely with the suspension and it now has crisp gear change.

Thank you for the suggestion on the cables. I left a good slack down there. Do you have a picture of  your BB cabling ? Curious about the plastic piece.
The bike really does climb well. Better than my 057 hardtail. And when compared to the 036 the slack in the front is a plus to avoid going over the bars.

charlesrg

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »

So, i have an 057 as well and it climbs very well. You feel the M06 climbs even better? That would mean the pedaling efficiency is really good! Do you feel any pedal bob under load?

When you compare efficiency would you sacrifice a bit on bobbing versus grip?  The m06 has a very short chainstay, shorter than the 057. When climbing almost all your weight gets applied on the rear for you to move forward and before slipping the suspension moves. Specially on roots and rocks. The 057 might climb well in the road but on the trail I'm with the M06.
The 057 gives too much tire  slippage due to longer chainstay and lack of suspension.

lRaphl

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »
The 036 is often speced at 110-120mm of rear travel. Do you feel any difference with the 100mm of the M06 or it seems to have the same amount of travel as the 036?

charlesrg

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »

I'm looking at this frame as well and was going to build it with a 120mm fork. Do you feel it makes the bike feel more enduro like or is it just as quick and nimble as a xc bike? I would like the bike to still be quick and nimble but also want to take advantage of a little more travel and slightly slacker geometry. Yes, i want my cake and eat it too  ;D
Depending how hardcore you want to go on Enduro. Usually enduro guys 120mm or more. I would put this bike more on the XC category.
I'm going to race XC on it, may try an enduro however I don't think it's a bike to win enduro races. At least in my area the enduros are very rocky and have some downhill sections that 100mm won't really do at the speed required to win.
By the way, I'm running 2.35 tires on it without rub, I think that's as wide as it would take.