Author Topic: Advice on FS 29er  (Read 3277 times)

TheBrandon

Advice on FS 29er
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
I shared this on the MTBR boards but wanted to bring over here.  Thank you in advance everyone who has pioneered and made took some risk regarding these CB frames.

I have an old 26 hardtail Trek 4300 I built up and a Trek Cobia 29er hardtail stock I've been riding. I'd like to build a 29. I ride 95% of the time on trails in the woods. Quite a bit of climbing but I am not on a mountain so I'd say 50/50 climb and downhill. Mostly technical but single track. Lots of roots, sections with quite a few rocks and things like that. What frame should I be looking at for FS to build? I ride a fairly low skill set, my bunny hop is an excellent 2 inches off the ground and I can manual easily 2 inches haha. So I suck is what I am saying. It's not uncommon for me to nail the chain ring on something I am climbing over or attempting too. Between XC and Trail bikes I've been going a bit in circles. So any suggestions on what frame type and why I should be eyeballing it? This will be my first complete build from scratch. Not afraid to take some risk on a new frame so long as it makes sense. If it matters, I am 5'7 195lbs. 30 inch inseam. Thanks everyone!!!

adbl

Re: Advice on FS 29er
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
Great questions to ask! Sounds like you're riding area i alot like North Carolina where i live. All single track in the woods, lots of roots, climbs, tight and twisty. I've been riding for 8 years and although my skills have gotten better, i'm still an amateur. Not a pro by any means.

I started out on a 26 FS classic XC setup. I did well until i built my first Chiner 29 carbon hardtail. WOW, what a difference!!! It really opened up my game. My skills and therefore my fitness is so much better now. The 29er is a little more slack and compared to he 26er i no longer feel like i'll go over the bars. I built the 29er hardtail as a XC bike because i wanted it fast and nimble but over the last 6 months i've been making it more "trail like". Wider rims and tires, more nobby for more grip, shorter stem and wider bars. 1x10 gearing with a wide range cassette. It gets better and better BUT, i've come to the conclusion i need to come back to a full suspension bike. Too many rocks and roots to keep the power to the ground with a hardtail. Not really being able to enjoy downhills as much as i'd like to. So for me i'm looking at the CS-821 or the DengFu M06. Neither bike a huge travel bike but a little more than 100mm. Slacker head tube around 68-68.5 degrees. Steeper seat tube angle around 73.5 for climbing. This new philosophy about how a trail bike is set up is geared more towards speed and handling than travel. I think for anyone facing the conditions we face, this is the best way to go! Just my $.02 worth  ;)

TheBrandon

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
Thanks adbl, awesome response!!  You took a lot of words right out of my mouth regarding experience!  The CS-821 is one I've been eyeballing. What bike did they base this frame off of?  Also was looking at the CS FS29.  Same with M06 (what did they base this off of?). 

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »
If you're interested in a 29er, my advice would be full suspension with around 110-130mm of travel in the rear, 120-140mm of travel up front.  Peter has the CS-FS29 available at xmcarbonspeed.com.

However, if you're like me, and your willing to try something new, either a FS 27.5+ or a 29+, I have one of each and have not looked back.  I had x-country oriented Chiners and while they were really good, once I started riding plus bikes, I enjoy riding more than ever.  It's up to you but if you're building a new bike, give Plus a try.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

adbl

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
Thanks adbl, awesome response!!  You took a lot of words right out of my mouth regarding experience!  The CS-821 is one I've been eyeballing. What bike did they base this frame off of?  Also was looking at the CS FS29.  Same with M06 (what did they base this off of?).

I don't much about the FS29 but i'm pretty sure the CS-821 is based off the older Scott Spark and the M06 is similar to the Yeti ASR with a little more travel. The biggest difference between the two is the M06 having a solid rear triangle as compared to a pivot. To me i would think it would make the rear feel a little more stable and also work the shock differently. I'm still deciding which would benefit me and my riding style/conditions more.

TheBrandon

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
If you're interested in a 29er, my advice would be full suspension with around 110-130mm of travel in the rear, 120-140mm of travel up front.  Peter has the CS-FS29 available at xmcarbonspeed.com.

However, if you're like me, and your willing to try something new, either a FS 27.5+ or a 29+, I have one of each and have not looked back.  I had x-country oriented Chiners and while they were really good, once I started riding plus bikes, I enjoy riding more than ever.  It's up to you but if you're building a new bike, give Plus a try.

Carbon_Dude, for starters thank you.  I've enjoyed reading a ton of your post in various threads since I've discovered these boards. I have never ridden a 27.5 but still love my 26 and have thought a bit about how a 27.5+ may be a good landing spot between what I have.  If I drilled on my 26 I am sure my skill set for things like a manual would improve and on a 29 its a lot harder for me to bunny hop and doing the most basic of skills.  I've been watching a ton of videos between the two sizes and thinking about the trails I ride and my skill set.  Would you say the FS29 is more of a trail bike vs a XC?  Do you know what this frame is based off of?

I don't much about the FS29 but i'm pretty sure the CS-821 is based off the older Scott Spark and the M06 is similar to the Yeti ASR with a little more travel. The biggest difference between the two is the M06 having a solid rear triangle as compared to a pivot. To me i would think it would make the rear feel a little more stable and also work the shock differently. I'm still deciding which would benefit me and my riding style/conditions more.

Thanks again!  That is tough between the two for sure, I've been watching the build threads with the M06.

I am trying not to over analyze as I am sure at my skill it may not make a huge difference between the frames but hoping to get what will be a nice upgrade from what I have.

adbl

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 02:36:54 PM »
I am trying not to over analyze as I am sure at my skill it may not make a huge difference between the frames but hoping to get what will be a nice upgrade from what I have.

No need to worry about over analyzing here, that's what we do best  :P Even though a Chiner build is much cheaper than building a name brand it's still a decent chunk of change and we are always looking to get the most bang for our buck. Most importantly get the bike that suits us the best!

lRaphl

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »
I would add that most of the time you can't really try the frame before buying it so over analysing clearly is a good thing before pulling the triger! :)

TheBrandon

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 12:20:54 PM »
I would add that most of the time you can't really try the frame before buying it so over analysing clearly is a good thing before pulling the triger! :)

Thanks!  I was hoping to get an idea of how these are modeled or close regarding geometry and what it was based off of so I could track some of them down and give it a test  (fully realizing these are not, will not be the same bikes). Since I am not a highly skilled rider, I think getting close idea would probably suffice!  Really leaning towards the CS-FS29.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 06:52:58 AM »
TheBrandon, I have not checked the geometry but it's possible the CS-FS29 is based on the latest Scott Spark.  At least the suspension design appears to match up.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

TheBrandon

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 07:40:23 AM »
TheBrandon, I have not checked the geometry but it's possible the CS-FS29 is based on the latest Scott Spark.  At least the suspension design appears to match up.

On the FS29, what size would you be looking at if you were me? I'm short and stocky. Literally almost always dead center for small to medium. 30 inch inseam. Arm length is 24 inches to finger tips.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 07:48:14 AM »
It's probably really hard to say but a small frame on most bikes is usually for people that are pretty short.  Not knowing what size is right for you, a MED frame probably fits the majority of riders who are less than about 5'-9" tall.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA