Author Topic: What do you say?  (Read 1749 times)

83Butch

What do you say?
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:31:00 AM »
Hey everybody! So I've been on a chiner for the last two years now (currently a cs-821 from Peter) and i find that every single time i go out i have to explain what its is I'm riding and that "no it isn't the (fill in the blank) bike" and that it's a Chinese open mould frame. Then i seem to have to explain the whole process of how it works, and that yes i built it myself and no i don't  worry about it exploding on me every time i go out.
So basically my question is, What do you tell people?.
I'm always tempted to say it is just a sticker less (fill in the blank) Bike and get on with my ride but that just feels to disingenuous to me.

Carbon_Dude

Re: What do you say?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:45:32 AM »
When I had my Chiner bikes, sometimes I would just say it is a custom build out of Asia.  If they asked more questions I would tell them the frame was custom, I selected the model, frame size, the carbon weave, bottom bracket, and paint color and it was customized to my order.  Saying it that way really got people's attention, since that's not something you get to do with the big brand bikes.  Then I would go on to say I hand selected all the components, and built the bike to a spec that's usually found on bikes costing 2-3 times more than I have in the bike.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:54:02 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

TheBrandon

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:32:18 AM »
I always have my phone and would just do a mock up on some made up shit.  This is my ET Phone home Edition 29er. Show them the pics lol. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ku45cIcfIrqKMm3-BUbTg1L9tMmCA8NMaw https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ev5Jt9yO7gWW6RccKXV44C3UE-DyiZTvYg https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xfa-yiFcUD-w7gnkHHdXcNz5JPvwUv6Hcg Haters will say these are fake.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
I always just say it's a custom carbon bike. If they have questions after that, then I go into more detail about the process, and if they are interested in potentially buying one I just direct them to the forum.

Klaster_1

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 12:21:16 PM »
Over here if you see a bike rocking raw carbon look, in 95% of cases the frame would be an open mold one. People would usually ask "is that a chinese frame?" or "who's the maker, where do I get one?", and will understand right away when you reply about "chinese carbon". Second most popular question would be about prior experience, which was quite solid in my case. Due to obvious economical reasons big brand carbon frame are way too scarce.