Author Topic: Head tube angles  (Read 1898 times)

endo.alley

Head tube angles
« on: November 04, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
I am wondering if anybody knows about upcoming frame models. And more specifically, will there be FS models with slacker head angles? I recently built an Ican P-8 set up as a 29er. And while I am very happy with the bike, the main suggestion I would have is to make the same bike but with a 1-2 degree skacker head angle. This seems to be the direction that many manufacturers are going towards.

Klaster_1

Re: Head tube angles
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:41:49 AM »
Uhm, P-8 already has a 68 degree head tube angle and it seems to be marketed as an AM frame. What sort of riding-type you are talking about: XC, trail, AM, enduro, DH? What fork did you put on your P-8?

adbl

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:05:10 AM »
Yes, that would be my question as well. My DengFu M06 has a head tube angle of 68.5 and i'm running a 120mm fork which puts me at 67.5. I wouldn't want to go any slacker than that. As a matter of fact i'm thinking about dropping my fork down to a 100mm just to gain that degree back. Unless you're looking for a specific type of ride like DH or some crazy Enduro stuff, why would you feel you need a more slacker head tube angle?

ijak

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »
68 is steep as hell. in 2016 many large companies doing AM and Enduro is at the 66/65 degree, at least in North America. Currently all china companies are way behind the curve with their bikes. The only exception is the P9 but even then you only get the 66 degree if you do long travel 160mm fork on a 29 or 27.5+ tire.

If you look at any EWS bikes from 2016 onwards, all bikes are in the 64-66.5 range.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:24:02 PM by ijak »

adbl

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:28:17 AM »
This goes along with another post about modern geometry on Chiner bikes. Most of these builders are not in the design business. They are manufacturers. The designs come from big box companies for the most part and because new designs are copyright protected, the manufacturers are not permitted to use any of the IP (intellectual property) from the companies they build for.

If the specs you listed are for current Enduro bikes then you probably won't see them in Chiners until the copyrights expire in a few years.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:29:49 AM by adbl »

endo.alley

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
"Uhm, P-8 already has a 68 degree head tube angle and it seems to be marketed as an AM frame. What sort of riding-type you are talking about: XC, trail, AM, enduro, DH? What fork did you put on your P-8?"...  I used a Fox 34mm, 140mm fork. When I set this bike next to a IBIS Ripley, for example, the IBIS is much slacker. Even though this bike with a 140mm fork is theoretically similar to the Ripley, at least on paper. I think it may actually be a little steeper than Ican says it is. Don't get me wrong. I really like the bike. But I have grown accustomed to bikes with hta of around 65.5 -66.5 degrees. Much smoother feel at moderate fast descending speeds. ... " The designs come from big box companies for the most part and because new designs are copyright protected," I haven't seen another designed big box bike that is exactly like a P-8. Transition Smuggler (an aluminum frame from a couple years ago) is very similar. But the geometry is not exact. My initial setup fro the P-8 is with a 200mmx 57mm rear shock. This increased the travel a little to maybe 130mm or so. And I have installed some offset eyelets in the shock to slack it ever so slightly. But when you start changing eyelet length you have to be careful with seat tube angle also. So while I really enjoy the bike. And while a light build 140mm 29er seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of the trail riding here in Western Colorado; I am just saying that 1-2 degrees more hta slackness in this frame design would be a real good thing. Just my opinion.