Author Topic: DENGFU M02?  (Read 2816 times)

huskydriver

DENGFU M02?
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »
Does anybody have a review or experience with this frame from Dengfu?  I'm looking into the WCB-M-062 and have read good reviews, but have also seen this frame and am looking to purchase a road frame and mt. bike frame.  The place I'm looking at getting it only has the road frame I want, but has the M02 frame that looks similar to the WCB-M-062.

https://outdoor-bicycle.en.alibaba.com/product/60661632068-222177406/Hot_sale_29er_carbon_fiber_mtb_frames_china_mountain_bike_frame_M02.html?spm=a2700.8304367.0.0.0fErju

maui400

Re: DENGFU M02?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »
The head angle of 71.5° would be a no go for me. My favourite chiner frame is a Tideace FM-M009. Have a look on aliexpress.

huskydriver

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
The head angle of 71.5° would be a no go for me. My favourite chiner frame is a Tideace FM-M009. Have a look on aliexpress.

So not sure how exactly that would affect me.  I'm making the move to 29'er from a 27.5" which I love because I love how it handles and how I can kick it around on really technical trails.  My main priority is racing.  29er's have always felt slow and sluggish to me.  How will that 1/2 degree really affect me.  Wouldn't I be better off with the 71.5 vs. the 70?

steven-iam

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:57:28 AM »
So not sure how exactly that ( 71.5°) would affect me....

FYI... All the new bike frames have less than 69 ° slack and short chainstays. That frame would be obsolete.

gohloum

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 06:45:29 PM »
FYI... All the new bike frames have less than 69 ° slack and short chainstays. That frame would be obsolete.

That's a bit of a BS statement.  Go look at Niner, who focuses on 29er builds.  Their hard tails are 70 degree and just redesigned this past year.  Also the Giant XTC Advanced sports a 70 degree.  If memory serves me correctly, the Specialized Epic hard tail is > 71. 

Obsolete, absolutely not.  Granted the chain stays are a few MM longer depending on what bike you compare it to, but a lot of the bikes handling has a lot to do with the complete geometry, not just head angle and chain stays.  Then you have the fork itself.  What is the offset?  This will also come into play with how the bike handles.

Some things to consider:
Where will you be doing most of your riding?  What will your average speeds be?  I was in a similar situation as you, but I came from a 26" wheel.  I purchased the CarbonSpeed MB-01 and I did so based on the geometry, and being located in southwest Florida where it's generally flat with a few rock quarries around to get a few drops and technical riding in.  Basically, my average speeds are between 10-16 mph most of the time.  Having a BMX background, I wanted to build an extremely agile 29er, which I did.  I actually pushed the boundaries by doing 2 things:

1 - I went with the Fox Factory SC fork in 44mm rake instead of 51mm
2 - I'm 5'10" and on the border between a medium and large frame.  I went with medium to shorten the wheelbase just a little.

Coming from a smaller bike, something else to consider is your wheel setup.  You will want to minimize the rotational weight was much as possible, because when a wheel is spinning, the gyro effect fights changing direction.  I would recommend carbon rims, tubeless tires, and try and select tires that are < 700g. 

steven-iam

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
That's a bit of a BS statement....

Those are strong words... But FYI here are the head tube angle specs for some of the very top XC bikes.
Specialized S-Works Epic = 69.5
Cannondale Team = 69.5
Yeti ASR = 68.0
SantaCruz Tallboy = 68
Giant Anthem Advanced = 68

gohloum

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
Those are strong words...

Strong like my BO after a ride in this crazy SW Florida heat and humidity!  ;)

Ahh.. Yes, you are correct in those numbers, but you are also referring to full suspension bikes.  He is looking at a hard tail.  FS will generally have lower head tube angle, along with higher bottom bracket and other geometry variations. 

Then you also have to throw in the discipline factor - XC/Trail/All Mountain/Enduro/Gravity-Downhill.  Hard tails are pretty much XC only, except for dirt jumpers and Free Ride, but none of these 3 disciplines experience ultra high speeds (or rarely), most of the time under 25mph and averaging more like 12 - 15mph, and 25mph on a hard tail with any kind of terrain bumps, rocks or variation is gonna be sketchy. 

When you start to get into All Mountain and into the Gravity disciplines, more intense descents and speed are usually involved.  Enduro and Downhill, well, those are the extreme Gravity ones, serious speed.  If you look at bike geometry based on discipline, you will find the more slack head angles, higher bottom brackets and longer suspension travel on the Gravity bikes. 

So, there is a lot more to it than just the head tube angle, but that being said, the key here is to compare hard tail geometry with other hard tails.   8)

steven-iam

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »
He is looking at a hard tail. 

Oops, you are correct sir... I was thinking FS. Stay Hydrated my friend.