Author Topic: Maintenance pains  (Read 2445 times)

325racer

Maintenance pains
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
I've had my 057 for almost 3 years now and decided to do a little extra maintenance, well not much, but it turned into a major pita.

Initially I was just changing grips and cable on my xx1 gripshift.  I had always had issues with shifting in a couple years, which I thought was due to a kink in the shift cable.

Upon inspection, etc, I found the internal routing tube seemed to be damaged, so I began routing a full length cable housing.   It was quite a pita to get the full cable through the frame and into the hole in the frame.

Additionally, the shifter body was broken where the adjuster threads in.  This piece is held on with a screw, but Sram doesn't sell it.

I ended up glueing the part together, running the cable and everything seems to shift better.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of my issues, in all the work I took the crank off in attempts to get batter access in the BB area (forgot it didn't give any access), well, when reinstalling the crank, the bolt snapped..  the only plus is, it didn't harm anything else and didn't get stuck, so now I need to pick up a new bolt before I can ride it again.

gohloum

Re: Maintenance pains
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »
I feel your pain.  However, growing up in bike shops, I generally do and inspection, cleaning and any dialing and tweaks about every other ride.  A lot of it has to do with your riding style, but if you ride regularly, I would recommend checking your bike or having it serviced at least every 2-3 months if you ride consistently.

I'm in Florida, so sand is a huge issue and keeping the drive train clean is impossible.  I average about 50 offroad miles a week and I have found that changing out my chain every 3 months is cheaper than replacing the chain and cassette every 9 months.

325racer

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »
Apparently my torque wrench isn't working in anti-clockwise, because I promptly snapped the replacement bolt.

I thought the first was due to fatigue if being on/off a few times.

So now to find another bolt locally...  This one took 40 minutes of searching at the store.

Patrick C.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
My -057 is two years old, and I'm seeing some bubbles under the paint where the front derailer cable exits.  Maybe I've been pushing too hard or holding it too long when upshifting? I didn't think it was a problem, but that may be why it doesn't always upshift right away.

I'm in Florida, so sand is a huge issue and keeping the drive train clean is impossible.  I average about 50 offroad miles a week and I have found that changing out my chain every 3 months is cheaper than replacing the chain and cassette every 9 months.

I never thought of the chain as a "wear part" :)