Author Topic: Fresh 2017 hong-fu FS 29ER  (Read 11243 times)

Luke.moore

Re: Fresh 2017 hong-fu FS 29ER
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »
Shoot them an email. They are quick to respond.

McFaker

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »

The fs27 is more of a  trail bike vs an xc bike with the fm058

Thanks for the breakdown. Any idea when the fs27 will be available in 19"?

danK

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »
Received info quickly from Hong Fu. The 19" is slated for midmonth release at the earliest. With shipping and purchasing a high quality rear shock the total price delivered to US is pretty darn good. But I, like many others, don't want to be an early adopter/guinea pig. Part of me thinks looking for a similar geometry new in box closeout frame from a US-based company with warranty and easy customer service/returns may be a good option to consider. And it's always good to have options which the Hong Fu certainly is!

McFaker

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 01:57:30 AM »
Thanks Dank. I thought some members were already sold on the fs27. I was pretty sold myself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've got from this awesome forum is:
1) there has not been a good trail bike out of China. By good I mean modern geo and quality suspension kinematics.
2) there have been some reliable fun hard tails.
3) there have been some catastrophic failures (mostly road bikes?)
4) there have been some unique offerings, mostly of the plus and fat variety.
5) most of the fs bikes have had significantly lower quality suspension hardware and stiffness compared to the brand names.
I know you get what you pay for. It seems like the value is in the high quality hard tails and roadbikes. But if the fs27 and fm058 are identical in performance to the '17 spark plus and race models with close to the same weight and durability then at 1/3 the price (including shock) they are a great value! My biggest holdup is : is it safe? I like to get rowdy and definitely plan to hit jumps with it. Have any of the Chinese bike been proven to take all mountain level abuse?

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 06:17:57 AM »
I have a CS-036 wth carbon rims from peter and I don't have any issues with suspension flex. I know other people have had it, but neither me or my friends can feel anything. This could be a lack of knowledge, but I'm pretty sure I just got a good product. In terms of all mountain use, I'd say I've whipped this bike pretty hard a number of times. Last summer when I was in Copper Harbor Michigan riding their trails I didn't hesitate to take this on one of their most difficult trails. It's actually a downhill track, but I passed up on doing 2 of the features. I'd say that if you're not an idiot when you use your bike, the 036 is passable and fun to use on the whole mountain. If your launching to flat landings, it's going to stress the bike and your body a lot. Just for comparison, my friend rides a 2017 remedy 8 and aside from the grumblings about shorter suspension travel distance, he had a blast on the 036. We both ripped it pretty hard. I think it's up to you. The 036 isn't designed to be an enduro bike. It's designed mostly for rough cross country use. I'm not much of an aggressive enduro rider, so it works out great for me. But every once and a while when I decide to ride some extra rough stuff, this bike has made it through.

danK

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2017, 07:20:24 AM »
Thanks Dank. I thought some members were already sold on the fs27.
I should have been more specific. I inquired about the FM058 29er frame which has not been released yet in a 19" size.

charlesrg

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »
Thanks Dank. I thought some members were already sold on the fs27. I was pretty sold myself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've got from this awesome forum is:
1) there has not been a good trail bike out of China. By good I mean modern geo and quality suspension kinematics.
2) there have been some reliable fun hard tails.
3) there have been some catastrophic failures (mostly road bikes?)
4) there have been some unique offerings, mostly of the plus and fat variety.
5) most of the fs bikes have had significantly lower quality suspension hardware and stiffness compared to the brand names.
I know you get what you pay for. It seems like the value is in the high quality hard tails and roadbikes. But if the fs27 and fm058 are identical in performance to the '17 spark plus and race models with close to the same weight and durability then at 1/3 the price (including shock) they are a great value! My biggest holdup is : is it safe? I like to get rowdy and definitely plan to hit jumps with it. Have any of the Chinese bike been proven to take all mountain level abuse?
Please don't buy either FS27 or FM058 thinking you're getting a Scott frame for a 1/4 of the price because you're not. It's not going to be as light neither as strong. The linkages are not the same quality and durability either.
Example: Scott frame weight 1770 grams with shock. China frame weights 1950 without shocks. Scott and high quality brands use high quality Carbon Fiber properly laid for stiffness and strength on the right places.

Buy because you want something cheap that you don't care if it breaks and you ended up having to replacing it out of your pocket.
I own three China frames, have broken the IP-036 in two places so far and I already have my M06 on order. I finished my first build in 2014, with my usage I estimate life expectancy of up to 2 years. I run an XL frame, weight 190lbs and enjoy going fast on the rocky descends. I race about 15 times per year.

I've seen brand frames break. And some brand frames also have similar quality to China Frames.
I enjoy my China frames because I can ride careless about damaging the bike. Scuffs and Marks are stories to tell and not things to hide. I always ride like I stole it.

If I had the funds I would definitely get a Scott or Trek frame. Perhaps next year on a good team deal.

danK

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
Much appreciated Charlesrg!

McFaker

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »
Thanks for the honesty Charlesrj. I'm glad you and midwest have enjoyed your FS bikes. I think the most prudent bike for me to pursue is a plus hardtail for light trail use.

Le Duke

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
Looks like Lamere is selling a version of this frame. About a third of the way down the page.

https://www.lamerecycles.com/deals

PeterXu

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 09:42:07 PM »
Looks like Lamere is selling a version of this frame. About a third of the way down the page.

That is exactly same CS-FS27 frame :)

Luke.moore

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 10:09:54 PM »

They fit a 2.35. That means the minion ss is going in the rear of mine.

Le Duke

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 10:41:07 PM »

Are you changing the rear brake mount location as previously suggested?

McFaker

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 11:10:19 PM »
@peterxu have you been able to get the fs27 rear brake cable routing and caliper mounting locations fixed?

culoduro

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2017, 08:32:20 AM »
Is the head angle on the FM058 69 degrees or more like the 67 degrees of the miraclebikes and yishun versions?
Thx!