Author Topic: 29+ Carbon Speed CS-496 frame: BB questions  (Read 5912 times)

ro7939

29+ Carbon Speed CS-496 frame: BB questions
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:17:41 PM »
I am ready to order new frame and just emailed Peter.

Does CS paint HT frames?  Approximate cost for a very bright green (almost flourescent)?

I presume the frame comes without a crank, but please confirm. 

Website specifies "BB92" bottom bracket.  I want to shop for a suitable carbon crank.  Exactly what do I shop for?  What specs do I need? 

Thanks very much!

BTW, I'm a Clyde (heavyweight), and the 29" carbon wheels Peter made for me have been rock solid, absolutely phenomenal, the strongest MTB wheels on which I ever rode.  Peter's service is fantastic, recommend 100%.   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:29:19 PM by ro7939 »

tripleDot

Re: CS-496: BB questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 01:26:24 AM »
CS offers paint job for both HT & suspensioned frames. Iirc it was around US$50-60 for the first color, US$10 for each additional color... I think.

Frame doesn't come with crank or bb adaptor (or headset for that matter). It does comes with a thru-axle bolt. What type of crank to buy have a bit of flexibility as you can choose bb adaptor to match your crank size (or brand). Ex. In my case, I went with Shimano XT hollowtech cranks (non-boost) and got myself a BB92-BSA adaptor.

And congratulations... do post your build (with pictures)!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:41:54 PM by tripleDot »
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

bxcc

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
The Sram GXP cranks work nicely for BB92. Just got to get a Sram GXP BB92 bottom bracket. Both of my daughter's bikes have that setup and it's been flawless.

I definitely want to see pictures of the frame! The only thing holding me back on this frame is that BB92 is the only option. Not that it's a bad option, just that I can't run my Phil Wood eccentric BB for SS use. (Full disclaimer, I'm a huge fan of XMCarbon, but all the standard 29er frames have 440mm chainstays or longer. This one would work perfectly for a trail-ish 29er singlespeed in the short chainstay hole.)

ro7939

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:13 AM »
IIRC I run Shimano M7000/M8000 cassette (11-46) on my CS rims, mounted to my Spec Fuse HT (nothing stock except the dropper post, which has been remarkably reliable considering my weight).  Is there any issue mounting a compatible 30T ring to the Sram GXP crank you mention?   

I plan to bring my current bike (Spec Fuse HT) and the new CS frame to one of my LBS to transplant parts.  I can't justify buying tools and spending days to do what reportedly takes them less than 2 hours.  I'm old and this is likely my last upgrade (famous last words).

Do you recommend a particular vendor for the GXP, or just the usual suspects like Chain Reaction?  I bought only my fork from CR but price and service was stellar.  I supported my LBS a lot, but for high end components I can't justify spending several hundred dollars more locally (my favorite LBS would not budge from SRP on a fork).  I saved about $300 buying my Magnum Manitou Pro fork from CR (a great fork and fantastic value for $500).

No reply from Peter since last week, he must be swamped. 

I was wanting day glo green, but it looked meh on a bike at my LBS Saturday (ordered new not-yet-shown at Bontrager website SE2 Team tires 29 x 2.6).  My first choice is "miami (day glo) blue" ala 2016 Trek Stache 5.       

Thanks for your help! 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:30:31 PM by ro7939 »

bxcc

Re: 29+ CS-496 frame: BB questions
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
Your cassette will be fine. The only thing you do NOT want to mix / match with is the shifter and derailleur, those need to be the same brand.

I would just have the shop source the BB. The retail is around $40 and since they are installing it, they can make a couple bucks off of it.
http://www.jensonusa.com/SramTruvativ-GXP-BB92-Bottom-Bracket?_br_psugg_q=gxp+bottom+bracket

Where are you located? You can not purchase Sram products from Europe anymore so you will have to look stateside. What length are you looking for? What's your budget? Carbon or aluminum? If it were me, I would probably go with this one. Carbon arms and a direct mount spider. Just pull the spider off and get the direct mount ring of your choice.
https://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-Speed-Silver-42-28T-Crankset/dp/B00553ZNS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529515261&sr=8-2&keywords=gxp+175

I hope that helps

ro7939

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 03:28:28 PM »
Your cassette will be fine. The only thing you do NOT want to mix / match with is the shifter and derailleur, those need to be the same brand.

Thanks.  Yes, I plan to transplant everything from my current bike except the steering head bearings, BB, and crank.  I'd consider the transplant myself if not for the internal cables.  I've read they can be a hassle.

I would just have the shop source the BB. The retail is around $40 and since they are installing it, they can make a couple bucks off of it.
http://www.jensonusa.com/SramTruvativ-GXP-BB92-Bottom-Bracket?_br_psugg_q=gxp+bottom+bracket
  Yup, I came to the same conclusion when I saw the prices. 

Where are you located? You can not purchase Sram products from Europe anymore so you will have to look stateside. What length are you looking for? What's your budget? Carbon or aluminum? If it were me, I would probably go with this one. Carbon arms and a direct mount spider. Just pull the spider off and get the direct mount ring of your choice.
https://www.amazon.com/Truvativ-Speed-Silver-42-28T-Crankset/dp/B00553ZNS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529515261&sr=8-2&keywords=gxp+175      I hope that helps

I'm in Cache Valley, N. Utah.  AFAIK my current 175mm crank seems fine (no pedal strikes now, hoping for similar clearance with the new frame).  I'll order that crank immediately after you say it's OK for my 240 lbs.   

Can I fit that crank to my current bike till my new CS frame arrives?:
"2016 Specialized Fuse HT, Crankset: Spec Stout XC, forged alloy, 148 specific chain line, PF30, Cr-Mo spindel, 30T, 76mm BCD spider"

Shall I need special ring spacer(s) for the 11 speed cassette?  Is the shop likely to have such?   

Thanks a ton for your help.

Anyone know why my editing buttons don't work?  I saw no obvious fix in the settings.       
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:38:57 PM by ro7939 »

tripleDot

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 01:01:42 AM »
Thanks.  Yes, I plan to transplant everything from my current bike except the steering head bearings, BB, and crank.  I'd consider the transplant myself if not for the internal cables.  I've read they can be a hassle.

My group set was also transplanted from my XC. The only problem we had with the internal routing was for the rear brake. Routing from chain stay up to brake lever, we were hitting a "bump" making it really difficult for the hose to push thru. The solution we did was routing it from the opposite direction... start from top tube down to the chain stay. It went thru without a snag. But that means you would have to cut the hose from the brake banjo connector.

Also do note that with transplants, check your hose and cable lengths, they might come up short. In my case, I pretty much replaced all my brake hose and shifter cables primarily because they were a tad short.

Shall I need special ring spacer(s) for the 11 speed cassette?  Is the shop likely to have such?

My XT 11s cassette fits well without any spacers added. But I did have to add brake rotor spacers to align it with the brake caliphers.

Btw, regarding Peter not responding, he just PMed me today that he is currently in Macau.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:15:03 AM by tripleDot »
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

bxcc

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 04:54:54 AM »

I'm in Cache Valley, N. Utah.  AFAIK my current 175mm crank seems fine (no pedal strikes now, hoping for similar clearance with the new frame).  I'll order that crank immediately after you say it's OK for my 240 lbs.   

Can I fit that crank to my current bike till my new CS frame arrives?:
"2016 Specialized Fuse HT, Crankset: Spec Stout XC, forged alloy, 148 specific chain line, PF30, Cr-Mo spindel, 30T, 76mm BCD spider"

The internal cable routing is pretty straight forward. I've done 4 generic frames and only one had an issue. That was the Workswell 29+ bike and it was because there was some extra epoxy in the chainstay that was blocking the house. The easiest one was my daughters frame from Peter. That was a breeze!

And yes, definitely pay attention to the cable lengths. That's the only issue with transferring brakes from one bike to the next. I would plan on replacing the shifter cable either way.

No spacer should be required if you're sticking with the same wheels and axle widths.

Crankset, I would have no issue running that at 240. But if you're concerned about durability and want to save a few bucks, this would make an excellent choice as well. You will probably still need a new chainring though as this one is 12spd. It may work with 11 speed but I'm not sure on that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Truvativ-Descendant-6K-Aluminum-Eagle-Crankset-GXP-12s-175mm-with/302715820839?epid=2263231586&hash=item467b44db27:g:hs4AAOSw8Z9a30b6

ro7939

Re: 29+ Carbon Speed CS-496 frame: BB questions
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »
Re. my 6-3 height and 240 lb weight v. the listed carbon crank: I should have mentioned I'm almost Medicare age, and don't do jumps, at least not intentionally! 

Sram said the crank's OK for me.  I order the crank this morning.  No reply yet from Peter, curious what's up. 

I have 34" inseam, and read today of a guy on a Medium frame with the same inseam.  I can't fathom riding a Medium frame.   

samroy92

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 01:21:00 PM »
I got in touch with Peter, he was on travel for something but he'll be back in the office tomorrow. I am sure he's way backlogged with emails. I ordered the CS-496 June 13th, but still don't have the tracking.

ro7939

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »
I very much appreciate all the build notes.  I shall assemble them into a document and bring such to the shop transplanting parts.

Looks like I'll be waiting a bit for my frame, especially considering the paint option.  Frankly, I'm a little surprised that buyers so frequently order natural black carbon finish.  I have nothing against black, but prefer a more cheery color on my bikes. 

Of all my bikes, my all time favorite was the "miami blue" on the 2016 Trek Stache 5 (the first known production 29+ HT, 10 speed, rigid carbon fork).

I'm hoping Peter can fasten a nice black "Carbon Speed" decal to the down tube, or something similar, for contrast.

I very much enjoyed all my interaction with the many Chinese vendors with which I have dealt (mostly electronics till I met Peter).

carbonazza

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 04:45:20 AM »
The Sram GXP cranks work nicely for BB92
That is what I thought too. And stopped mounting PF30/BB30 for GXP instead.
Until DUB arrived, probably announcing the end for GXP in the future.

A BB92 with DUB will suck to easily replace standard bearings.
30-40€ for a BB is not that expensive, but compared to my disposable $2 chinese bearings  :(

samroy92

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »
My CS-496 frame has reached the US! Will update thread with pictures of the unboxing... Expecting it next week