Author Topic: Ican P8 full suspension build  (Read 45346 times)

R_Pierce

Re: Ican P8 full suspension build
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2018, 05:28:32 AM »
You can see all the way down the head tube and inside of the down tube if you remove the fork.  The layup on these is just as strong any any other IMO.

tripleDot

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:34:19 PM by tripleDot »
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Bos

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
So I Stuck my normal rear wheel in there and went for a ride... You guessed it. Nothing happened.
The rear shock I have in there has a firm compression tune and its not ideal. The suspension works but its not what It should be. I can feel its just a little harsh. I found a 200 x 57mm Float Performance DPS EVOL on Ebay UK which I'm going to pick up on a business strip in 2 weeks.
Another thing that didn't work out so well; The Dropper post I had is also not working out very well at the moment. Though the effective seat angle might be 73 deg on paper It gets slacker the higher the seatpost is raised. Does that make sense? My seatpost had a setback which stretched out the cockpit completely. I don't have a shorter stem than the 75mm at the moment, so I will test it with a 50mm and see if it helps, but in my experience it just feels like I'm sitting further over the back wheel.
So I'm selling off my old frame and dropper before buying more stuff. But I'm getting a dropper with Zero offset.

So how was the ride? Coming from a Ali FS frame I could feel the lighter weight immediately. The frame is also very stiff. Besides the carbon which is naturally stiffer, the wide rear end which dwarfed my 2.25 Ardent Race 29'er tires must play a part.

The geometry feels pretty good so far. I'm actually quite enjoying smacking corners and lofting off kickers. Its got more pop than my old bike thats for sure.
Need to do a "proper ride" on proper trials for a couple of hours to give a better report so, Until then..

R_Pierce

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2018, 02:15:00 AM »
You can measure the seat angle yourself by using a ruler or other long straight object and run it from the center of the BB to the center of the seat post at the top.

Mine  measured about 73 degrees measuring to the center of the seat post at ride height for me.  So pretty slack.  Measuring how bikes are measured (top of head tube level to where it intersects the seat tube) its 74 degrees just as stated.

Also, why wouldnt you just buy the adapters for the rear wheel?  There is no way the drop outs are setting in their square without pinching the frame.  Its not possible.  The bikes designed for a 148 drop out spacing, not 142.  Thats a 6mm (nearly 1/4 inch) difference.

To each their own I guess.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:16:48 AM by R_Pierce »

Bos

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2018, 05:30:28 AM »
Regarding the seat angle:
It would seem the Effective seat angle is slightly flawed because the longer/higher the seat post the slacker the effective seat angle becomes. It is correct for a sweet spot but I'm perhaps at the upper limit on a Large.

Regarding the wheel spacing. I wouldn't do it if it would damage anything. I will upgrade my wheelset eventually and have had some spacers made. Like I said 3mm per side / make that 2mm per side. (my frame was closer to 146mm spacing anyway) I had some spacers turned in the workshop here at work but I need the disc spacer.

I have done 3 rides since and I'm really enjoying the bike. Its a pity I don't have a dropper post at the moment since it definitely gives one an edge in hairy situations. The 120mm feels plenty right now and I'm starting to wonder what the 135mm is going to feel like once I get my shock next week. Will be nice to do a comparison though. The EVOL airspring should allow me to sit higher in the travel anyway which is what I'd like.
I think a remote for the rear shock will be a nice upgrade since I'm only really using the full open mode for downhills at the moment. Its just to active to use when not necessary, especially when at the flick of a switch it can feel like my Rocky Mountain element did. This is nice though and a perfect compromise if it can be controlled through a remote. Bending down to flip the lever on the shock is going to get tired pretty quickly.

One last thing. is it just me or do the cables inside the downtube rattle like hell? I'm considering shoving some foam in there to quiet things down.

pedro

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
Hello, I wonder there will be any clearance issues with rear shock with reservoir like rockshox monarch plus rc3?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:47:39 PM by pedro »

carbonazza

« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2018, 01:53:49 PM »
One last thing. is it just me or do the cables inside the downtube rattle like hell? I'm considering shoving some foam in there to quiet things down.
There is an existing post here about using some foam. But I can't find it...

On my bikes I did cut an insulation tube used for heating pipes.
Cutting a section of about 30mm by 20mm, and about the length of the downtube.
Then remove the fork, and insert it from the headtube down to the bottom bracket.

Canyon have an interesting approach.
They have a hole between the two inserts to screw the bottle cage in the downtube.
And a special plastic hook, grabs the cable suspending them in the middle of the downtube.

thesmokingman

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2018, 01:04:14 AM »
Foam sleeve... there is an actual bike product, norattles and another but I cannot remember the name.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00K85ASYA/?coliid=I1QUYQ9S8X7AWY&colid=3511P7RWFNKOU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Bos

« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2018, 07:54:25 AM »
Foam sleeve... there is an actual bike product, norattles and another but I cannot remember the name.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00K85ASYA/?coliid=I1QUYQ9S8X7AWY&colid=3511P7RWFNKOU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is a very cleaver Idea. Thanks!

samroy92

« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »

Is it easy to perform maintenance and replace cables after inserting the foam into the tube?

thesmokingman

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »

Is it easy to perform maintenance and replace cables after inserting the foam into the tube?

What maintenance are you going to do on it besides replacing housing? In either case it will be as difficult or easy as it was getting the sleeve in there in the first place.

carbonazza

« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2018, 03:16:05 AM »

If you go full hose.
An easy way to replace it, is to have a ~1mm steel cable, with 2x the shifter length that you put into the hose.
Then into the new hose, in a row, so they touch each other, with the cable going out of the end of the two hoses.

Pull the old out of the frame, while pushing the new inside, insuring they stay in a row together.
So even if you have foam, the new hose follow the path of the old.