Author Topic: Ican P8 full suspension build  (Read 44874 times)

R_Pierce

Ican P8 full suspension build
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:53:23 AM »
Hello guys, I was torn between going with Peter and the FS27 or going with Ican and the P8.

I ended up going with the P8 as it was closest in Geometry to my current bike (which I love)

So, I plan to document the build here for others that may be interested in this frame.

The build will consist of the following:

Ican P8 Medium
Rockshox Reba RL 120mm fork
Rockshox 200 x 51 Monarch RT3 Debonair rear shock
Raceface Atlas 50mm stem
Raceface SixC 785mm Carbon DH bars
Magura MT7 brakes (180 rear, 203 front)
Raceface Turbine Cinch 170mm Crankset
Wolf 32 tooth Oval Chainring
SRAM XX1 Eagle 12 speed drivetrain
27.5 35W Hope Hoops wheel set with Pro 4 hubs and 27.5 x 2.8 Nobby Nics
DNM 100mm Dropper Seat Post with Wolf Lever.

Ill start attaching pictures as I build up the frame, but initial impressions are very good!  The frame is awesome build wise, and aesthetic wise.  Pivot has zero side to side play, and all of the bearings/bushings move very freely!  Rear triangle doesnt bind in the slightest!  (I must admit this was a worry after reading about other bike manufacturers with this issue)

And then the custom decals I had NLdesigns draft up.  I based the design off of the Transition Patrol Carbon bike.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:08:15 AM by R_Pierce »

R_Pierce

Re: Ican P8 full suspension build
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:10:18 AM »

acedeuce802

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:52 AM »
The frame looks great! Good luck with the build.

R_Pierce

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »
Alright, got my old frame stripped of all the goodies, and everything transferred over to the new frame.  The brake hose and fittings, as well as the shock bushings didnt arrive until later, so Ill get them all done in the morning.

Went from an e*thirteen 9-44 tooth cassette to the Eagle setup.

Bike complete including rear shock came in at 30.3 lbs.  Cant wait to take it for a rip this weekend!

(Yes, Im aware the levers are pointed up.  No I will not ride like that.  They are set in the bleed position for when I get the hose)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:55:38 PM by R_Pierce »

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:02:46 AM »
Nice bike and nice pictures.
Thanks for the reference of the decals, I might need some in the near future.

As said many times already here, clamping the top tube on the stands should be avoided.

R_Pierce

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 07:15:24 AM »
A little common sense goes a long way when clamping a carbon bike.  It's not tight.  But yes, that's a solid principal to go by for sure!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:20:50 AM by R_Pierce »

R_Pierce

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:23:18 AM »
And I'll post a couple final pictures here in a couple hours.  Installing the shock and brake hose this morning.

lRaphl

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 10:20:40 AM »
Can you post a picture of the holes under the rear shock bottom mount please?

Thank you!

R_Pierce

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
Can you post a picture of the holes under the rear shock bottom mount please?

Thank you!

Here are a couple that you can see it a little.  There is only one exit hole and one entrance hole into the chain stay.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:42:21 PM by R_Pierce »

R_Pierce

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:46:48 PM »
And took it for the maiden voyage today!  I have a few things that I need to work out on it, and one of them is pedal strikes.  GALORE!  Im running 30% sag though in the rear shock, so Ill take that down to 15% or 20% and see how that does.  Im coming from a hardtail, so it may just be getting used to when to pedal again.  And the bike is FAST.  First trip out on it today and was just going for a leisurely (or so I thought) slow pace and ended up setting 2nd and 3rd best times in Strava.  So it definitely gives confidence!!  A couple finished pictures below as well as what I used for travel on the rear shock:

lRaphl

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
I think I didn't express myself properly. I'm talking about the place where the bottom of the shock attach. I want to see if there are holes for a remote shock cable. Is the dropper cable goes through there also?

Thanks! :)

R_Pierce

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
There is no hole where the bottom of the shock attaches.  I actually ran my dropper post cable fully internal, but it has an option of coming out of the side of the down tube and then entering back into the side of the seat tube.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 06:43:45 AM »
Awesome build, R_Pierce.  Cant wait to see some pics with the new fork installed, and maybe a couple ride reports once shes completely dialed in.   Bike looks amazing!

R_Pierce

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 07:38:12 PM »
Awesome build, R_Pierce.  Cant wait to see some pics with the new fork installed, and maybe a couple ride reports once shes completely dialed in.   Bike looks amazing!

I was hoping that the new Manitou Mcleod shock would be here for the weekend rides so I could take a couple new pics, but doesnt look like its going to show up.

Ill grab some new pictures this weekend!

R_Pierce

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 08:30:30 PM »
Alright, final pics!  I think Im finally happy!  Got the new X-Fusion McQueen installed, as well as the Manitou McLeod rear shock.  Bike is a whole different animal!!  Cant wait to ride a few more times and get this fork/shock broken in, and get everything fine tuned.  But currently its FAST!