Author Topic: CS-FS27 Sizing  (Read 4537 times)

tech1451

CS-FS27 Sizing
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:46:28 PM »
Having never owned a full sus bike, I am looking to build a CS-FS27 in 27.5+ but am not sure on what size to order.  I currently ride a Cannondale Trail 4 in a medium.  I'm 5'10 (178cm) with a 30" inseam. Any one have any suggestions on which frame would be a better fit?

carbonazza

Re: CS-FS27 Sizing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
I would take a 17,5".

I'm as tall as you, but with a 34" inseam.
I took L on 3 frames so far.
Just to avoid a big drop between the saddle and the bar.
And short stems(70-80mm) to compensate the long reach.

In your case, the saddle will be much lower, and you can play with a longer stem if you like.
The best is to draw some lines based on the geometry data, and compare the 17.5" and 19" ( I use sketchup for that ).
Then compare it to your current bike. It should be quick to know which one fits best.

tech1451

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »
Great thanks.  After so more considering, 17.5 looks like the way to go.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:14:09 PM »
I think you made the right choice.  I dont know how it compares to what youre riding now, but the 19" I ordered has a longer reach than my current 19" frame, even though the ETT is the same.  If torn between sizes, I would have gone smaller.  Even at 6' even, I wonder if I should have sized down.

tech1451

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. The more I get to looking, I'm unsure now if I want the FS27, the P8 or the P9. Anyone have any insight or opinion on any of these frames for trail/mountain riding.  One things that bothers me about the FS27 is that one user stated it would be hard to fit anything over a 30t in the front.

ReverendRockRazor

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »
I ordered a 32t oval hope chainring I'll post how it fits when it arrives.
The fs has the badazz Geo. But if you want a longer travel trailer bike with more options for rear shock I would take a hard look at the P9.

drummercat

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:02:35 AM »
I am 173cm tall and 31.5 inseam, got the 17.5 and its perfect fit with. Flat 760 bar and -17 degree 70mm stem. For sizing it really depends on your style and riding position. I downsized my bike a few years ago when I was still new to mtb and it never feel good. Longer reach gives more room for me for body movements. Also I can ride with a more aggressive position to keep stable with speed. For me I will never ride a downsize bike anymore, its never feel right.

If you are any taller than 175cm, I would recommend L size 19”.

lRaphl

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
I'm 175cm tall and ride a 17.5" IP-036 frame with a 80mm stem and 720mm bars. If it wasn't of the longer seat tube, I would have gone with the 19" and a shorter stem.

foozball26

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
The fs has the badazz Geo. But if you want a longer travel trailer bike with more options for rear shock I would take a hard look at the P9.

Please do let us know how it fits. I was planning on an absolute black 32t oval chainring and I am a bit worried it may not fit from the comments above.

R_Pierce

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 12:09:28 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. The more I get to looking, I'm unsure now if I want the FS27, the P8 or the P9. Anyone have any insight or opinion on any of these frames for trail/mountain riding.  One things that bothers me about the FS27 is that one user stated it would be hard to fit anything over a 30t in the front.

check out my build thread here on the P8.  Love the bike with a 140mm fork.  It does have a lower bottom bracket than the geo sketch shows (by about an inch) but that was fixed with the 140mm fork and a set of offset bushings (gained me about an inch at the BB, now sets at 13" from floor to center of BB while static)

That was my ONLY gripe with the bike.  Other than that, fit, finish, quality are all amazing!

ReverendRockRazor

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 11:19:18 AM »
 Anybody looking for a fs027 I have decided to go in a different direction and am selling it. There are pictures of it in the 29er dually thread on mtbr forum.

I paid 765$ includes extra derailer hanger and custom paint.
Will be shipped in the exact same box and padded micro fiber bag in came to me in. Size large.
You can message me or check it on eBay.

ReverendRockRazor

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »

Please do let us know how it fits. I was planning on an absolute black 32t oval chainring and I am a bit worried it may not fit from the comments above.
Hope 32t fits fine could possibly go 34t.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
Perhaps the comments above mentioning a 30t limit were referencing a non-boost chainring?   I'm using a non-boost (6mm offset) chainring on mine, and a 28T absoluteblack oval just brushed against the frame until I put a 1mm spacer on the drive side.  Unfortunately this squeezes the bottom bracket just a touch, resulting in increased drag, but its hard to justify spending 70 bucks without actually getting anything for it.  Anyway, I'm pretty confident a non-boost 30T oval or possibly a 32T round would almost certainly make contact even with the spacer.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 06:06:40 PM »
Just in case anybody needs to add an extra 1mm of clearance on a sram PF-GXP / BB92 like I did, I came up with a ghetto hack for it.  I found a keychain split ring that was 22mm ID.  I clipped one coil off, right before the bend, so it had a 5mm gap in the circle.  This allowed it to compress some, and sneak the spacer into the bottom bracket through the larger 24mm drive side bearing.  Once in there, you need to position it with your fingers so that when you insert the crank spindle in, the ring will go around the splines, right up to the step in the spindle.  Now when you snug the NDS side, which is what locates the spindle, its moved over about 1mm to  the drive side, thus creating one precious mm of extra space.

MVinter

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 02:05:57 AM »
If you could fit bigger than 32 round or 30t oval, then you must have a terrible chainline. The chainlines are a bit different on cranksets. Shimano have wider chainline than Sram. In my opinion Shimano boost is to wide.

I have 28t oval boost on RF Next and it is a tight fit.