Author Topic: CS-821 Has anyone built one yet?  (Read 2892 times)

gohloum

CS-821 Has anyone built one yet?
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »
I'm thinking this season of building an FS, but I've already ridden my hard tail on a few trails in Tennessee and North GA, and I am thinking that rather than do a pure XC build, I may want to do something that can handle a little more trail. 

Does anyone have any thoughts about this frame?

http://xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1481

Thanks!

83Butch

Re: CS-821 Has anyone built one yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
yep, that was my last bike until sum scumbag stole it and all my tools from my van just over a month back! Ive got to say that it was an awesome bike, climbed great and handled the descents admirably. Ive now got a yeti sb 4.5 and so far haven't beaten any of my personal best times yet. I do feel that the yeti is more nimble but it is also 2lb heavier than my cs 821 was. The build quality is far better than any other Chinese fs bike I've seen and i would say about 95% as good the big named brands.
If I'm honest I'm slightly disappointed in the yeti as to me it doest feel like its that much better than the cs 821 and its almost 5 times as expensive!!!

gohloum

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:56:06 PM »
Ah man.... Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen.  However, it's ironic that I've been looking at the exact same Yeti.  Just having a hard time swallowing the price.  If you don't mind, could you list the specs of your build?

83Butch

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »
On the cs-821 I had a rockshox SID world cup carbon fork (120) XTR groupset and brakes, monarch rct3, stans arch rims on hope pro4 hubs and renthal carbon bar with a renthal stem. rocket rons on the front and  racing ralph on the back.   I had just got it under 12lb the week before it got stolen.

Klaster_1

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »
I had just got it under 12lb the week before it got stolen.
Surely you meant 22lb. Wish I'd get my road bike to 12lbs some day, lol.

raphsp3ak5

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
I've recently built up the CS-821. Coming from the Niner brand of bikes - and all I can say is that the CS-821 is a beast, but it does have its quirks.

One of which I'm dealing with now that has to do with the main pivot. In a nut shell, the current bearing design doesn't work because of a design flaw of the main pivot bearing. Essentially whats happening is that there is a washer on the opposite side of the bolt head that seizes the bearing since it's mounting flush to the top and bottom bearing races, the entire suspension is relying on movement of the pivot bolt, and NOT the bearings like it's supposed to. It's very wonky, and I'm waiting on a solution from Peter. A video description can be seen here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02WptCYHjcEQS13ZkFDRGl4T2s/view?usp=drivesdk

Other than that the bike has been superb, and performs way better than my niner did. The thing shreds!

This is my build (Hope it Helps):

I'm sitting at about 25 lbs as it is right now. I made some adjustments to the build, but nothing too crazy.

I have about $3k usd into the bike. I wasn't too concerned about the value. I just wanted to build up a bike that had exactly everything that I wanted. I always do my best to support my LBSs. This was more of an experiment than anything, and wow did i exceed my expectations. Starting on a fat bike build next.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:44:43 AM by raphsp3ak5 »

raphsp3ak5

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 11:00:50 AM »
yep, that was my last bike until sum scumbag stole it and all my tools from my van just over a month back! Ive got to say that it was an awesome bike, climbed great and handled the descents admirably. Ive now got a yeti sb 4.5 and so far haven't beaten any of my personal best times yet. I do feel that the yeti is more nimble but it is also 2lb heavier than my cs 821 was. The build quality is far better than any other Chinese fs bike I've seen and i would say about 95% as good the big named brands.
If I'm honest I'm slightly disappointed in the yeti as to me it doest feel like its that much better than the cs 821 and its almost 5 times as expensive!!!

Oh man! That sucks! I'd be so pissed.

mercenary

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 03:14:49 AM »
raphsp3ak5, keep up updated about the fix for the pivot. I am keen to get either one of these or the FM058

gohloum

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 08:28:49 PM »
I just watched your video on the pivot issue.  Could you possible feather the outer edges of the washers with a grinder?  Not a lot but just enough to give relief on the outer ring of the race?  That video was super helpful, and by seeing it all taken apart, it's clear that the solution is quite elementary as you pointed out.  Just thinking a little grinding might get you back on the trails until a correctly lathed set of washers can be sent to you. 

Speaking of which, I have a buddy back in Florida who has a lathe.  I might be able to get a set cut for you.  Are they steel or aluminum?