Author Topic: Tubeless sealant  (Read 2126 times)

Rick64

Tubeless sealant
« on: August 30, 2017, 09:30:12 AM »
What 2bliss sealant do you find the best results with? Ive been using Stans Race but am thinking of trying Orange Endurance.......

MTB2223

Re: Tubeless sealant
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »
Using Schwalbe Doc Blue for the last 8 wheel sets. Works great. The same as NoTubes Tyre Sealant.
Schwalbe Doc Blue 500ml is cheaper and comes with a little 60ml bottle and a simple little tool to unscrew the valve core.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:35:38 AM by MTB2223 »

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »
It is indeed about 10% less expensive than Stan's !

Does it leave as much hard-to-clean junk in the tire?

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
It is indeed about 10% less expensive than Stan's !

Does it leave as much hard-to-clean junk in the tire?
Yes, but if you remove it after two refills, you've three layers and that's easy to pull out.

gohloum

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 03:14:02 PM »
I ran Stan's last season, and I just put on new Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and trying the Orange Seal. 

I have heard from some reputable sources that the Orange Seal doesn't break down as quickly and handles larger holes and cuts a little better, but it's too soon to tell.  One thing I have notices is it gets bonded around the presta valve mechanism inside, so once it get's slow to inflate, I pull the valve and a little ring of hardened sealant peels off.  After that everything is fine.

Rick64

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »
Did you get the tubeless ready Schwable or the lighter casing and ran it tubeless?

Thanks for the replies
Rick

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
I tried a simple, non TR Rocket Ron in the front last season.

Inflating it just before my ride was enough.
Even during the longest ones(70-90km), but after the night, it needed to be inflated again.
There was no clear leaks visible under water, just like if it was more porous.

MTB2223

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 04:34:28 AM »
There was no clear leaks visible under water, just like if it was more porous.
I check this with a spray-bottle with water and soap. I spray it over the complete wheel. When there's a leak, it will make nice bubbles. And doing it this way you can easily check if the tape/rim is leaking air or the valve.
When you do the water trick only, air can escape up inside the rim and you won't see this.

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 04:39:31 AM »
I check this with a spray-bottle with water and soap. I spray it over the complete wheel. When there's a leak, it will make nice bubbles. And doing it this way you can easily check if the tape/rim is leaking air or the valve.
When you do the water trick only, air can escape up inside the rim and you won't see this.

Nice trick. I'll do it !!

adbl

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
In my experience air leaking from the wheel assembly almost always comes from the sidewall of the tire. Even tires that are rated "tubeless ready". All that means is the tire has the construction design to be able to use without a tube (most notably the bead design), not necessarily that it is leakproof. Kind of the difference between waterproof and water resistant. I have always used Maxxis tires that are tubeless ready. I do not use the EXO version (the extra thick sidewall construction) because where i ride i do not have to worry about thorns or sharp rocks that could cut the sidewall.

For me it usually takes a couple of times of adding Stan's sealant to get the tire to seal up when it is new. If the bike sits for a few days it's usually down about 4-5 lbs which to me is completely acceptable. I'm one who sets tires pressures and suspension pressures before every ride. Once i had an issue where air kept leaking out of the valve stem but that was do to my installation error. It took breaking the bead, adding another strip of tape in that area and then it was fine. When i check the pressures before every ride i do notice the sealant residue on the outside of the sidewall casing. That's the way it's supposed to work  ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:25:46 AM by adbl »

Javier

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »
am thinking of trying Orange Endurance.......

I tried that and it took 5 minutes and repeated inflations to seal a very small hole so not very impressed and i am back to stans. It is important to shake the bottle just before putting in.