Author Topic: Trek Stache 29+ Frame Copy  (Read 6582 times)

syncmaster

Trek Stache 29+ Frame Copy
« on: July 14, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »
Looking into a 29+ carbon frame to build up what will be a copy of a Trek Stache 29+ build. I've found this frame from a few vendors but this was the only one I found with purchase reviews:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857528623.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.3f4a7ec5BIxWSI&algo_pvid=32ccf1d6-53f9-4fa5-a2db-a4e7306c3be3&algo_expid=32ccf1d6-53f9-4fa5-a2db-a4e7306c3be3-3&btsid=0ab6fab215947383603795227e6e84&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Has anyone had experience with "Carbonbicycle Store" or does anyone know where else I could buy this frame from a more reputable retailer? I know Flyxii also sells it through their site. Would it be safer to order through them?
http://www.flyxii.com/PRODUCTSDetial?product_id=30

Thanks for any help.

goyo46

Re: Trek Stache 29+ Frame Copy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 01:57:19 PM »
I'm also looking at this frame. If you're in the US DIYcarbonbikes has it, for a higher price, which may be worth the additional $100 or so for convienence and peace of mind. I emailed him and they ship from overseas, no domestic stock. Also, search CFM496, the Carbon fan model.

syncmaster

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 04:54:29 PM »
Yeah I saw they sell it too. I wasn't sure how much piece of mind they'd provide over buying the frame direct from China through PayPal or something though. The markup is high for me. Someone else on the forum bought one direct from Flyxii and just confirmed via email that they had stock before purchasing.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 04:53:47 AM »

syncmaster

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 08:56:19 AM »
Similar but it's only a 27.5+, not a 29+. I'm hoping to fit 3.0 tires on 29er wheels.

alex-henson

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »
Anyone had recent success with a Chinese stache copy lately? I saw a listing on PB from diycarbonbikes. Curious what others' experiences are with that frame or other similar stache style frames.

PS why so many verification questions seriously

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 06:34:43 PM »
I've built one with a frame Peter sold to me years ago.
He seems to be back but not very active.

carbonda.com apparently sells to consumers the frames from flybike :
https://www.flybike-asia.com/product/11/
The FM496 looks to be the one.
Unfortunately trying to get the details gives a server error here.

Tee-Dub

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 12:42:57 PM »
First time poster here!
Reviving this thread, because I recently bought a DIY Stache "PT29".  I am putting it together now, and had trouble with the rear thru axle alignment.  The machining work was somewhat flawed where the axle would pass no problem without the derailleur hanger installed, but with it the axle arrived at the other side somewhere between the two (forward and rear) positions.  After MANY back and forth messages with "Ty" where his responses essentially dodged the problem, I realized that I was on my own.  This, I suppose, is where one pays the price for opting for a lower cost Chinese frame.  Especially when the product passes through someone that may also sell sneakers.

The part that pisses me off the most is that the right side is machined for what looks like an oval insert that is likely threaded to accept the thru axle.  I saw the exact same frame on Pinkbike for sale WITH this part.  Ty at DIY played the fool, having no idea what I was talking about, just like with the axle alignment.

I cannot say that the frame is junk, or that Ty is a bad guy, but I was extremely let down with the support.

Maybe I will post an update when I get farther down the road with the build.

Attached a pic of the part I lack.
If anyone knows what the heck this part is, PLEASE let me know!

Tee-Dub

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 08:41:25 AM »
For anybody that might have been, or winds up in my position - I found a source for the thru axle insert. 

I emailed sales.flyxii@hotmail.com and got a quick response.  Attached a picture of the part.