Author Topic: Ican P9 build  (Read 71775 times)

chetosmachine

Re: Ican P9 build
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2018, 02:44:56 AM »
That 200x57 may cause problems.

From pictures, there's around 63mm of "stroke" before the seatstays contact the seat tube. That's with a 210mm long shock. So when the shock is shorter than 210-63= 147mm, there's contact on the frame.

Your 200x57 shock, fully compressed, will be 200-57= 143mm, ths there's huge potential for a frame impact on chainstays arch.

The P8 with 57mm stroke should be around 136mm travel at the rear wheel.

Silverado123

« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »
Cool dude! Im trying to learn everything i can about the P9 and P8.

frank1979

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
Your x fusion Forks are they 29 or 27.5. Thank you

frank1979

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2018, 06:30:31 AM »
Sorry just realized they only come in 27.5 thanks. Do you think that 27.5x3.0 tyres would fit. Thanks

rideczech

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2018, 11:08:55 PM »
I had a 2.8 high roller 2 and was fine... will be tight but I don't really know... sorry!

Deepsense

« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
Hey guys first of all I'm pretty much new to the mountain bikes, I bought my first bike without checking the current trends and ended up wanting a new bike sooner than I expected, anyway I read your posts and was motivated to make my build too and well since I didn't know much about it, I heavily based upon your builds ;D

Dvo diamond 150mm boost
Dvo topaz 210x55mm 22x8mm mounting hardware
Slx groupset
Slx 30t front, sunrace m80 11-50t back
Kmc x11 118 links
27.5+ 2.8 hrII front, reckon back mounted on famous icans 40mm
Hope hubs, hope disc brakes 180mm front n back
Hope tech3 e4 brakes
Fusion-x manic dropper, raceface aeffect seat
Raceface sixc bars, 35mm funn stem, answer stein grips
Various cheap chinese parts

Some build notes:
The rear shifter cable goes great under the rear shock pivot
The dropper cable can be completely stealth.
The rear brake hose can enter through the impossible port next to the shock, I used a dremel to remove the border there such that the hose wouldn't get cut.
Chainline is not great with 50t so I changed the bb spacer from drive to non drive side.
Medium cage rear derailleur works fine for such a big rear gear.

I've tested my bike now and I still need to get it dialed a bit but I think I'm getting there, bike climbs very well (and the 30t helps a lot!), rear brake still needs more bleeding and the wheels needs less pressure they are 13 front and 15 back right now maybe 1 psi less each side will do it.

I already have some future plans:
change front chainring to 32 or 34t
change the front disc brake to 203mm
travel change to 160mm, maybe add spacer crown race to improve HA
build 29 wheels for it
paint it rad ibis hd3 blue and red style
print dvo red stickers (i have the svg files if anyone wants them)

As a final note I started this project without having any prior knowledge of how to build a bike (or wheels for that matter) and it wasn't as hard ad I thought although some mechanical experience is very recommended, I did learn a lot however, wheels were difficult to get right. Thanks for your build logs without them I wouldn't have made it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:17:08 PM by Deepsense »

chetosmachine

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »
Finally, the day arrived. This morning I made the payment for a nice, Large, matt UD P9 frame.

:)

chetosmachine

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2018, 12:37:29 AM »
@Deepsense, which size is it?

For guys with a size L frame, what is the minimun length, seatpost extended, that you have from mid BB to top of the saddle? And which dropper post are you using?
I am planning the remaining components to buy, and have to choose 125 or 150mm dropper post. I' not sure my short legs will be able to handle a 150mm post, thus this question arises.

Thanks

Deepsense

« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2018, 09:59:05 PM »
it's an M, have a look at the ST spec in the geo, you can add the dropper size to that and know if it's in the ballpark of the length you need

chetosmachine

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2018, 12:21:50 AM »
According to these diagrams I would be 5mm short-legged to use a 150mm dropper post :(
I will have to wait until I have the whole bike assembled with a fixed seat post to take measurements. I see the zone for the seat clamp seems quite long, so I may cut a bit from there and search for the most compact dropper post :)

Deepsense

« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2018, 11:15:28 PM »
I think that it is more a matter of preference, 125mm of travel fits me well enough (plus you can always stick more of the dropper out of the post) but I can see the benefit of longer travels with larger legs.

chetosmachine

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
It arrived! I'm so happy with it.
Feels damn solid. Seems massive. I'm eager to get all the parts, but I know it'll take some time yet.
Bearings move like they should, but given that I don't think I'll have all the parts in the next 3 weeks, i have plenty of time to get a complete tear down and put some extra grease where needed.

My frame, size L, with the plastic linkage support that comes instead of a shock and rear axle, weights 2820grams.
My build kit will be:
Sr Suntour Triair Manitou Mcleod with 6mm inside spacer to make 210x57 shock McLeod sold
2017 RS Pike rct3 160mm (27.5/29" version) (order cancelled by RCZ) RS Revelation 2018 + 2019 debonair 160mm air shaft
DT Swiss E1900 wheelset
Mavic Crossride Quest tires (+ tubes)
Sram XX1 shifter
Sram X1 Derailleur
Sram PG-1180 cassette (11s, 10-42)
Shimano XTR 9020 crankset (32t) Sram Xo Carbon crankset, 30t
Shimano bb Sram BB
Truvativ Holzfeller 40mm stem
Nuke Proof Horizon bar(15mm, 780mm)
Brand-X or TranzX 125mm dropper post (not bought yet) OneUp 150mm dropper post
Specialized Phenom saddle
Sram Guide RE front brake and Guide R rear brake Formula Cura brakes
Shimano Xt pedals/flats, depending of the day!
Silicone grips Random Lock on grips.

The shock will not be in stock before 19 of july, and most of the other items were bough in "RCZ" in pre-sale events, thus they may take some time to show up around here. Long build, but the potential for fun of the frame seems awesome.

Edit: some changes due to availability and that thing about looking for good prices and having an open mind about component selection.

Edit(2020) with the components i am currently using

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:06:26 PM by chetosmachine »

jb206

« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »
Hey, another newbie here, was about to buy a polygon but then had a crazy idea to build my own, so a little help please :)
Currently ride a basic 29er, but think i might as well give it a shot of buying a  'real' bike. 6'3" /190cm, 205 pounds, 93kg. I don't do any crazy riding, just the local trails.

so questions?
Whats the recommended fork for a P9?
Merli has a deal on Rockshox Yari RC DebonAir Boost Forks 29", but only in 170mm, is that too long?
Any other frames you would recommend instead of the P9.
If i go ICAN, any recommendations for carbon wheels?
Am I crazy to build my own bike as a novice?

Shimano XT8000 groupset 1x11, 32f, or similar in sram.
What else do I need??? (seat dropper, headset, stem, handlebar, rubber, hangers, rear axel)
THANKS!!!

carbonazza

« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »
Am I crazy to build my own bike as a novice?

You will never regret starting this learning process.
You'll know perfectly your bike. Able to detect and fix any defect immediately, preventing any further damages.

Expect some mistakes and some nervous moment at the beginning.
Avoid big problems: Never over-tighten anything, no need really of a dynamometric wrench, just re-tighten a little if something gets loose.
And never cut something: fork steerer, hoses, chain, bar, seatpost without having measured it twice.

For the groupset from my experience the GX Eagle is much better than the M8000.
Do your homework, by visiting a bit more this forum, you will be able to find various component lists.

When building the list. Take care of the compatibility of the contact points of your bike:
  • Headtube, headset and fork
  • Bottom bracket and crankset
  • Rear and front axle types with the wheels
  • Frame design for the shock and compatible versions
  • Seat tube and seat post/dropper

And we will help you  ;)

chetosmachine

« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2018, 02:29:08 AM »
+1 to what carbonazza said.
The fork will be good. Unless you are willing to use at some point extra large 29x2.8 tires, you can get the 27,5/29" version. I got the 29 and the tire seems stupid skinny in there, even at 29x2.25.
The headset is included with the frame.
The seatpost has to be 30.9mm
The rear axle is boost, so 12x148mm.
The bb is classic threaded BSA 68/73mm