Author Topic: Ican P9 build  (Read 71990 times)

jb206

Re: Ican P9 build
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Thanks guys, been really helpful so farit's coming along well so far I think.
Couple more questions, where to you buy your ICAN frames from? I'm currently dealing with Allen from icancycling.com
But I'm not sure if he's official or just some reseller adding margin.
Also having a hard time finding a good deal on 210x55 shock, how close does it have to be in each dimension???? Thanks guys!!!

chetosmachine

« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2018, 04:02:08 AM »
I contacted ican directly through their mail and got in touch with "Melody".
http://www.icanbikes.com/index.html

I payed 590usd for the frame and 130 for EMS shipping to Spain.

You can ask ican about shocks, they offered me a RS superdeluxe rct3 for 240usd, but instead, I chose a Sr Suntour triair at 280eur . Since the suntour is out of stock until september, I bought a Manitou McLeod 216x63 that fits as is, no frame contact at full compresion nor at full extension, but I put a 6mm spacer in the air can to limit length and travel to 210x57mm. I knew that the Manitou could be shortened without much hassle, and does affect the air chambers that much.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:42:16 AM by chetosmachine »

jb206

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2018, 07:42:54 AM »
Thanks Chetos!!! That's 100 less than Allen is quoting me... So I'll take your deal if I can get it. Didn't realise they offer the shock too, it's a fair deal @240
Fork and Shimano gear all arrived today.... Getting excited!

chetosmachine

« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2018, 02:35:02 AM »
I love my P9.

The suspension is very sensitive, and with the Mcleod on the "closed" IPA, it pedals quite well. It climbs very well, just my legs&lungs are not up to the task.

The geometry is comfortable and the ride is "nimble".

The fixed seatpost with offset is what I had at home. For my home trails I don't really need a dropper, but I will move soon to Switzerland and thus, dropper will be advantage. I will use on bikeparks.

Handling is great. I only have 3 days in the dirt and it has been a lot of trail riding, on twisty slow lines. So far, so good. I love the endless feel of the 160mm Revelation up front.

I installed a protection kit from dyedbro.com and it gives a very nice look for my taste.

I still have to cut the brake lines to correct length, and remove a bit of steerer tube and change the spacer, I believe it's still too tall on the front. 

jb206

« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
Very nice!!! Who did the graphics on the bike???

I don't know which bike to buy, turns out the P9 is not available in XL despite their website saying otherwise :(
I'm 190cm/6'3", would I fit on a Large??? She's also not selling 20" wheels with it :/
Other option is the S8, but the 170mm fork I got will probably ruin the geometry???

chetosmachine

« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2018, 02:35:04 AM »
Graphics:
https://dyedbro.bigcartel.com/category/frame-protectors

The feeling about the size is quite personal, and how you like the bikes. I like long ones and my L is ok. Could be longer, or I could have gone for a 50mm stem instead of the 40mm one but overall feeling is quite good. M frame would be too short for my liking.

Ican told me the same, that the P9 is 27'5 and they only offered me those wheels. I ended buying DT Swiss E1900 boost for cheap in RCZ bikeshop- beware, they took 6 weeks from buying to actually receiving them-

The S8 is an XC frame, 100mm rear travel...... no way comparable to P9.

chetosmachine

« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
Hey guys,

how are you doing with your P9´s?

Mine is meeting some interesting places in the alps, bikeparks included. Unfortunately my tires are not up to the task when they have to deal against sharp rocks, so next season I'll put aggresive reinforced threads instead of rounded, nimble and light tires. It's hard to have this bike as a 1 for all bike since it's such a pleasure to go downhill with her..... but in Switzerland, it's either a bikepark or a high level uphill to get to those spots!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R2L22ugXekscENDH9

theunknownmtbr

« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2018, 10:50:15 PM »
Is anyone running a coil shock setup?  Just curious if it bobs a lot when pedaling?

theunknownmtbr

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »
This is why the 8.5 x 2.5 shock looks interesting.  It’s a very common size and broadens the options.  Even if it needs some minor finessing with offset bushings and/or some travel limit shims, based on the feedback it should be doable

That 200x57 may cause problems.

From pictures, there's around 63mm of "stroke" before the seatstays contact the seat tube. That's with a 210mm long shock. So when the shock is shorter than 210-63= 147mm, there's contact on the frame.

Your 200x57 shock, fully compressed, will be 200-57= 143mm, ths there's huge potential for a frame impact on chainstays arch.

The P8 with 57mm stroke should be around 136mm travel at the rear wheel.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:26:08 PM by theunknownmtbr »

Deepsense

« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »
Is anyone running a coil shock setup?  Just curious if it bobs a lot when pedaling?

There’s a video on youtube about the norco range linkage which I belive is what the p9 is modeled after, also the p9 profile is uploded into the linkage software db so you can see the actual values.

Deepsense

« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »
Hey guys,

how are you doing with your P9´s?

Mine is meeting some interesting places in the alps, bikeparks included. Unfortunately my tires are not up to the task when they have to deal against sharp rocks, so next season I'll put aggresive reinforced threads instead of rounded, nimble and light tires. It's hard to have this bike as a 1 for all bike since it's such a pleasure to go downhill with her..... but in Switzerland, it's either a bikepark or a high level uphill to get to those spots!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R2L22ugXekscENDH9

Bike looks nice! I haven’t ridden mine in a while, front brake malfunctioned so I’m waiting for the spares to fix them, will post some pics once I start riding again.

chetosmachine

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
Folks,

How would you rate the rear suspension of your P9?
I dont know if it is the design itself, or my shock not matching at all my frame, but when compression is fully open for descents, i have a feeling like a flat tire on the back, getting easily up to mid travel, but getting full travel is quite hard.
The manitou mcleod is quite simple to set, but even though i cant get a good feeling on my suspension.

How does your rear susp feel?

Deepsense

« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »
Folks,

I dont know if it is the design itself, or my shock not matching at all my frame, but when compression is fully open for descents, i have a feeling like a flat tire on the back, getting easily up to mid travel, but getting full travel is quite hard.
The manitou mcleod is quite simple to set, but even though i cant get a good feeling on my suspension.

The linkage is progressive so after mid travel the more the shaft moves into the shock, the more force that is needed. Mine felt pretty good, small bump compliance was fine and progressiveness allowed me to hit some jumps without going full travel even without bands in the positive chamber, but at 30% sag I was having lots of pedal strikes. I changed the bushings to needle bearings which makes the shock move more freely, this allowed me to up the psi's a lot more and that helped with the pedal strikes.

I guess if you are not getting full travel and would like to you can try those bearings, just remember to increase the pressure or add some tokens or bands to the shock.

endo.alley

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2018, 09:47:43 AM »
Would adding a little more sag, along with a little more dampening help?

sclyde2

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2018, 03:17:40 AM »
Folks,

From the other replies on here, it sounds like you need a more linear (higher volume) shock to match the progressive frame.  Are you running a king can on that McLeod?