Author Topic: shifting problems CS-057  (Read 2395 times)

roggan

shifting problems CS-057
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:31 AM »
Hello I'm new here

I recently got a new CS-057 frame I bought from Peter and have now finished the build. But I have problems with the internal cable routing. I run SRAM GX Eagle and it works perfect with full length housing outside the frame but I get a lot of shifting problems when I try to use the internal cable routing.
Do anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

adbl

Re: shifting problems CS-057
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
I have a CS-057 and i can't say i've ever had any shifting issues. The one possibility i can think of is a kink or blockage in the internal tube? Any kind of drag on the cable while shifting can present shifting issues. Do you remember having a hard time threading the cable? Especially around the bottom bracket area where the inner tube can get kinked?

roggan

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:01:38 PM »
The cable runs smoothly though when I feed I have done this a couple of times. The only thing I find odd is that when I pull the cable at the derailleur end I can pull it out a extra 2 cm and I can hear the cable moving inside the frame is this normal?

Is there any way to change the inner inside the frame? If it is a kink on it.

I have used plastic housing end caps from the LBS I read somewhere that you have to use tapered housing end caps could this be the problem?

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
There maybe some dirt in a tube the cable goes in.
You could try to insert a thicker steel cable, like an old brake one or even thicker.
And pull on one side then the other, keeping a tension, multiple times until it moves freely.
Making some extra room for the shifter cable.

Or you can run full housing, by drilling the ends.
I did that on most of my frames, but never had a 057.

numberzero

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 01:13:31 AM »
Or you can run full housing, by drilling the ends.
I did that on most of my frames, but never had a 057.

I did the same on my previous frame. Shifting was not good when i used the housing from the factory, i drilled, removed it and putted a full length housing from shifter to derailleur, problem solved.

roggan

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 02:44:37 AM »
Ok then maybe need to do it with full length housing if nothing else works.

Do you have any tips for drilling in the frame? What do you use for drilling in the carbon? Is it possible to use the old inner housing as a guide when routing the full length housing?

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:44 AM »
Here is how I did a while ago: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,230.msg2109.html#msg2109

It was with a 256 frame.
There may be some variation in the 057 you will need to adapt.

Did you try first with a ticker cable to feel if something is rubbing?

roggan

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:47:23 AM »
No i have not tried with a ticker cable jet I will do that first to see if that helps.
could this be a problem with the plastic housing end caps so i should try buying aluminium ones?
I would like it better not to drill in a new frame!

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »
I used a mix of plastic and alloy end caps without problems.
Eliminate everything step by step to find if one element is causing the issue or if it is coming from the inside of the frame.

roggan

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »
Now I have tried with a ticker cable 2,5mm and that runs without problem.
I will try to buy alloy end caps tomorrow to see if that works.
I’m thinking now that the problem can be that when I pull the cable at the derailleur end it gives a bit and flex back. Could the inner housing be to long inside the frame or be to flexible?

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
To be sure, you need to give a good tension to the thick cable too, so it will take the same route as the derailleur cable.
And may be rub at the same spot(s).

Could someone with a 057 knowing the internal routing come to the rescue  ???

325racer

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
The 057 has an internal carbon tube running inside the frame.  I had similar problems from day 1, I think I caused my initial issues by trying to drill in plans of installing full length cable.  Initially things didn't go well, so I stuck with original routing, but I always had shifting issues toward the top of the cassette.

I recently drilled out the holes completely to run full housing.  It was very difficult to get the new housing in place.  As someone else mentioned, I think the internal housing may not be strong enough and flexes.  There may also be some imperfections that cause drag.

All said, I don't have a good solution

adbl

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »
Could someone with a 057 knowing the internal routing come to the rescue  ???

If i remember correctly, when I built my 057 it had white plastic inner tubes. I could see it clearly through the headtube area. I had no issues running the cable in the tube and consequently had no shifting issues.

The 057 inner cable routing is as straight forward as it gets. The only area i can think of that could be obstructed is right around the bottom bracket area. Make sure it's routed below the bottom bracket with no kinks. I'm not sure how they attach the inner housing to the frame. Possibly glued? That might be another area of obstruction. Making sure there is no glue or resin that overflowed into the inner part of the tube where the cable feeds through. If that is the case go buy the smallest round file you can get and try to smooth out the connection points as best as possible.