Author Topic: CS-406 27.5 Hardtail frame from XMCarbonSpeed  (Read 9034 times)

bxcc

CS-406 27.5 Hardtail frame from XMCarbonSpeed
« on: November 01, 2017, 05:05:53 AM »
Just another build thread. This time I ordered a CS-406 from Peter in UD matte, BB92 shell, 142 axle, and size 15.5". The frame will not be shipped for another couple of weeks but I figured I would get the thread going now.

Here are the preliminary specs.

Frame: XMCarbonSpeed CS-406 15.5" frame UD matte finish, BB92, 142x12 axle
Fork: RockShox SID RLC, 100mm, 2017 w/ Charger damper, Boost axle
Bar: ENVE DH bar cut down to 700mm
Grips: ESI Racer's Edge
Stem: Wake 40mm
Seatpost: GUB 31.6 straight post
Saddle: Codream 230x140 kids seat from Amazon
Brakes: Shimano Deore M6000
Rotors: Shimano 160mm Centerlock
Wheels: DT Swiss XM421 27.5 28h rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes, Sapim aluminum self locking nipples
Tires: Bontrager XR3's
Crank: SRAM NX 155mm GXP
Chainring: Sram 32t
Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP BB92
Pedals: Race Face Chester
Shifter: Shimano SLX M7000
Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M7000
Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11-42 11 speed
Chain: Sram NX PC-1130

Once the frame arrives, I'll post up more information and some pictures.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:54:13 AM by bxcc »

bxcc

Re: CS-406 27.5 Hardtail frame from XMCarbonSpeed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
So here is a bit of an update.

The frame arrived today and I am extremely happy with it. It's a basic carbon frame and everything on that end look to be normal with a weight of 1285 grams for the 15.5" size. The rear 12x142 dropouts are mounted up and look perfect. One of my concerns I had before ordering was how the internal cables were routed. I prefer to use full length housing and I wasn't sure if that would be an option. I was really pleased to see that you can run anything you want with this frame. All the removable cable stops were installed but they snap right out. The brake clips have a larger hole to run the hose through and the derailleur clips have a smaller hole making them a cable stop. It would be nice if more large hole clips were provided but I can easily drill out the small hole clips to have a snug fit with the shifter housing. The bare cables would normally exit just underneath the BB and re-enter after an inch or so. But a blanking plug was provided so I can just run the housing inside and cover the holes with the plug. It might be a bit more of a hassle to run the housing but I have multiple options which is REALLY nice.

I will post up some pictures once I have some time to take them.

bxcc

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
The fresh frame on the scale for 1285 grams

Multiple front derailleur routing options

Standard option for routing under BB

How the bottom clip mounts

Cable routing clips

Top is the cable stop clip for shifter cables, bottom has larger hole for brake house

Extra plugs and some for Di2 wires

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:43:59 PM by bxcc »

voodoo320

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:01:20 PM »
Definitely you can't go wrong with carbonspeed and nice choices of parts. Will wait for your built. Goodluck ! ;) ;) ;)

ebeaupre

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:02 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it built up!

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:58:09 AM »
Here are some CS-406 clearance pictures of a Maxxis 27.5x2.6 on 29mm inner width rim.

MTB2223

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
Don't like the cable stop clip for shifter cables. It's made of plastic and can bend a little bit during action and that's not good for the shifting performance. Better to run the full housing cable through the frame. Always good shifting performance and no mud or dust in the cable.

bxcc

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 05:04:39 PM »
Don't like the cable stop clip for shifter cables. It's made of plastic and can bend a little bit during action and that's not good for the shifting performance. Better to run the full housing cable through the frame. Always good shifting performance and no mud or dust in the cable.

I'm definitely a "full length housing" fan so I drilled out the cable stop clips. Pretty simple to do. I have already run the shifter housing and it's pretty slick. One of the easier frame's I have done, besides the SC bikes with the molded in tubes.

rpacker

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:32:10 AM »
I've got the exact same frame. It's been solid so far, no issues at all. I also didn't run full housing through the frame, no problems there either. However, I use it more like a gravel bike, and lately more like a hybrid for bad weather, no super rocky trails/downhills on it to give it a real test. I really should have bought a gravel bike frame I suppose.

bxcc

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 06:28:36 AM »
The build is slowly moving. I did end up going a different route with the fork. I ended up with a new 2017 RS SID RLC with the charger damper. It weighed in at 1570 grams after cutting the steerer and installing the star nut, that's with the axle too. That should cut off about 200g from the Revelation that was supposed to go on. I also opted to get a couple titanium spokes from Dan's Comp in the purple haze / rainbow finish. There will be two per wheel flanking the air valve. The rear wheel is finished but the shop is waiting on the WolfTooth Boostinator before building the front wheel as the new Sid is boost.

bxcc

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 05:12:19 AM »
We finally completed the build and it came in at 23.4 pounds ready to ride. Which is a bit heavier than I hoped but not heavy either. The seat, wheels, cassette, and crank are probably the easiest places to drop some weight but that won't be cheap so it's going to stay where it is. The seat will probably be replaced with a GUB carbon saddle soon which will help but I need to find one that she will be comfortable on. The Codream that's on there isn't light but she does like it so I'm not sure if it's worth messing with.

She finally got to ride it this weekend and everything worked perfectly and the bike fit great!