Author Topic: XC Rocket or Trail Slayer?  (Read 2256 times)

adroitrider

XC Rocket or Trail Slayer?
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:57:57 AM »
I am ready to order a Promance 7007 II but am being lured away by the slacker design of the Workswell 145. Here are the differences:

Workswell XL:
Reach 469
Stack 621
HTA 68
STA 73.8

Promance L
Reach 456.8
Stack 593
HTA 69
STA 74

What bike is best for me? 6ā€™2ā€ and prefer 30-40 mile epics from my house to Palos in the Chicago Area.

The Workswell has two bottle mounts which is also a plus for the type of riding I do.

Jerry

Re: XC Rocket or Trail Slayer?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
Hey adroitrider,

I have had the same dilemma, but solve this (sort of) by mounting a 120mm fork on my Pro-Mance M7007 which gave the bike a head angle of 68 degrees, just like the Workswell 145 with 100mm fork.
Besides, this is the first time I hear from the WW 145, so I do not have real experience with that frame. Looks nice tough but not as modern as the PM imo  ::)

A second note about the WW 145. A 100mm fork at a head angle of 68 degrees and a seat angle of 73.8 degrees; little strange combination if you ask me. However, I am not an expert and a 120/130mm fork on the 145 give you a even mote trail friendly head angle of 67 degrees 8)

And why do you actually compare a WW 145 in size XL with a PM M7007 in size L? The M7007 in size XL has a much larger reach and stack and also a more 'climb friendly' seat angle of 75 degrees. Iā€™m ride the XL and am 198 cm. 

Succes with your final choice!

adroitrider

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
Thanks for your input, Jerry.

I wasn't aware the Pro-mance 7007 II in T800 was being shipped in XL, but you were able to get a hold of one so that gives me promise. 

How tall are you?

I have always owned XC bikes but have fallen off the racing scene. I spend more time attacking the technical sections of my local trails in search of a new PR on the segment, or just a bigger gap from my riding buddies before we regroup before the next section of rough.

numberzero

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:07:04 AM »
You have two very different frames in suspension design.

Promance is like spark/scalpel... with a single pivot design and flex in the rear triangle. More sporty feeling i think.

Workswell is a 4 bar linkage, like the old specialized epic for instance. This design is supposed to be more responsive on small bumps but also more on pedal bob.

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 07:37:46 AM »
Thanks for your input, Jerry.

I wasn't aware the Pro-mance 7007 II in T800 was being shipped in XL, but you were able to get a hold of one so that gives me promise. 

How tall are you?

I have always owned XC bikes but have fallen off the racing scene. I spend more time attacking the technical sections of my local trails in search of a new PR on the segment, or just a bigger gap from my riding buddies before we regroup before the next section of rough.

I am 198 centimeters (or 6.5 feet) tall and ride with a 70mm (horizontal) stem and the saddle almost maximum to the front. This setup feels already very roomy for me, without the extreme racy position of most UCI riders.

I want to try a 40mm voice though and see what this does with my saddle and body position. However, I am a bit hesitant about this setup, because I expect to sit much more above the rear wheel/rear triangle and less in the middle of the PM M7007 frame/above the bottom bracket. But who know... the best way is always to try it yourself.

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »
You have two very different frames in suspension design.

Promance is like spark/scalpel... with a single pivot design and flex in the rear triangle. More sporty feeling i think.

Workswell is a 4 bar linkage, like the old specialized epic for instance. This design is supposed to be more responsive on small bumps but also more on pedal bob.

I agree with this theory.

The PM M7007 is very close to the geometry of the 2018 Scott Spark (and Orbea Oiz 2019, Intense Sniper XC and more of the latest XC bikes). Never ridden one of these mentioned cross country bikes, but I have ridden the Specialized Epic and the M7007 feels equally sharp, fast and agile. Maybe even more because of the lower total weight (when you compare sizes).

Pedal bob at the PM - with the rear shock in open mode - is hardly noticeable. However, there I a noticeable amount of pedal bob present in full lock mode of the shock. Unfortunately or normal with a single pivot design? I do not know, but I don't use full lock anyway. A 4 bar linkage responds better to small bumps in any case, I think.