Author Topic: IP-256SL build [finished - photos]  (Read 20876 times)

carbonazza

Re: IP-256SL build [finished - photos]
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »
I started with a Cane Creek 40 on my 256 frame.
The bottom bearing was so rusted it seized after a few (muddy) months.

I replaced the bottom bearing with the Neco that came with the frame.
Took it off when I changed to my new frame, and it is still running smooth.

I bought some cheap bearings from aliexpress, to replace when this one will die.
I see them(as well as bottom bracket bearings) as cheap and disposable bike parts now.

Cnasta

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2016, 01:11:28 AM »
Thnx, will need to check which cheap one I should order than :) Do you, by any chance, have a link to the seller you're buying from?

MTB2223

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2016, 04:39:59 AM »
When you search for "H373" on AliExpress, you find some cheap Neco headsets (complete).
The bearings are:
- NHB-6B (7H * OD41.8 * 45° * 45°)
- NHB-15 (8H * OD52 * 45° * 45°)

Don't know how to find only the bearings ...

Edit:

Use "ACB4052" to find some cheap NHB-15: 4 pieces for 17 euro ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs-lot-ACB4052-40x52x7mm-45-45-degree-bicycle-headset-bearing/32501556182.html )

Edit 2:

Use "MH-P08F" / "TH-870" / "ACB845F" for a NHB-6B
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:49:07 AM by MTB2223 »

carbonazza

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
Here is the last one I ordered: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-1-2-tapered-headset-bearings-SMH-P16-40x52x7-SUS440-stainless-steel-material/32241211712.html
This time it is stainless steel. A bit more expensive but just to test if it lasts longer than steel ones.

42x52x7 45/45 degrees is all you need to look at. There are plenty of sellers like MTB2223's reference.

Cnasta

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »
The rear axle is coming loose every now and than. Really need to tighten the small screw (hex), which is annoying if you ever get a flat. Does anybody know a better solution/better axle?

MTB2223

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 09:28:16 AM »
The rear axle is coming loose every now and than. Really need to tighten the small screw (hex), which is annoying if you ever get a flat. Does anybody know a better solution/better axle?
Not a better solution, but a solution. Take a old inner tube. Cut it in a circle, with the diameter of the axle nut. Cut a small hole in the circle, a little bit smaller than the axle diameter. And put this piece between the frame and nut. It solves your problem. It did for me.

Cnasta

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 02:54:22 AM »
Not a better solution, but a solution. Take a old inner tube. Cut it in a circle, with the diameter of the axle nut. Cut a small hole in the circle, a little bit smaller than the axle diameter. And put this piece between the frame and nut. It solves your problem. It did for me.

Thnx, I'll give that a try. Not sure why it would work (as long as it works, I don't care I don't understand  ;D )

Cnasta

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »

To be sure, the piece of inner tube sits directly between nut and frame and gets 'squashed' when tightening? Can you than go without the small screw? Or do you still need it?

What axle do you have? Any specific one that work really well?

MTB2223

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2018, 03:20:05 AM »

To be sure, the piece of inner tube sits directly between nut and frame and gets 'squashed' when tightening? Can you than go without the small screw? Or do you still need it?

Yes, that's correct. No need for the small screw. I'm using a DT Swiss axle with nut. But the axle doesn't matter.

Without the piece of inner tube, the nut getting loose because of the vibrations. Using a piece of inner tube, the nut won't spin that easy anymore. That's why this solution will works. And tighten the axle/nut more isn't the solution.

tripleDot

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »
Regarding the nut getting loose from the axle:
While I never tried this as the problem had not arise, I was thinking using teflon tape (aka PTFE or plumber's tape) might help. They are really cheap and you probably have it already.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Cnasta

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2018, 02:35:40 AM »

Yes, that's correct. No need for the small screw. I'm using a DT Swiss axle with nut. But the axle doesn't matter.

Without the piece of inner tube, the nut getting loose because of the vibrations. Using a piece of inner tube, the nut won't spin that easy anymore. That's why this solution will works. And tighten the axle/nut more isn't the solution.
While I only did a short test ride, it seems to be a good solution. Thnx for the advice. Will now cut a few extra's a spares :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:05:52 AM by MTB2223 »