Author Topic: 29er HT Choices: CS-218, CS-887-SL, MB01 or LCM904  (Read 14471 times)

bxcc

Re: 29er HT Choices: CS-218, CS-887-SL, MB01 or LCM904
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2018, 06:52:29 PM »
You’re welcome. That’s what we are here for.

That’s a great fork too. I have the XX with the hydraulic lockout button. I didn’t think I would use it much until I had it. Super happy with it. I put it at 120mm on my 062 frame.

SARED

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 12:30:21 AM »
I am super greatfull for all your (thats every one on this forum helping) advice.

I have never done such a big project... slightly scary this dawnting task, at least i know i am backed by an amazing group of riders.

I emailed Peter yesterday for a MB01 frame!
(If the spelling sucks sometimes... sorry.. this in my second language and this fricken small touchscreen buttons on my iphone

SARED

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »
Pulled the trigger on a CS-MB01 frame from Peter. Because of Chinese holiday and late production, frame will only be shipped end March. 19' Frame as i am 5,10 (1.78m) 87.5cm inseam.

I took the BSA frame option for GXP XX1 crank. Still second guessing my decision not taking BB30 frame.....

I will start another post for the bike build.

dinsum

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
I was skeptical at first but trust me only go with BSA, not worth the hassle to go with anything else to risk creaking and needing much more tools to install the bottom bracket, BSA will only add like 50-75 grams I believe. I use the shimano deore BB52 bottom bracket which cost like $15, basic tools to install, using it for 2 years now and spins super nice and smooth just like the day I got it and never heard a single creak from it

xtr 9000 brakes are absolutely amazing to me, their braking power is just as good if not better then all other shimano brakes I have tried and the modulation is really good, i'm not a big fan of servo wave. The brakes are really light and good looking but the downside is they are super expensive, luckily for me I found a used set for $150 USD in mint condition :)

I tried a few other lightweight brake sets like the formula r1's but wow those are horrible brakes, shimano has the best brakes hands down, easy to bleed, easy to adjust, awesome modulation, easy to center the rotor and pads without rub which is my main complaint with other brakes especially the formula r1's

carbonazza

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
I was skeptical at first but trust me only go with BSA, not worth the hassle to go with anything else to risk creaking and needing much more tools to install the bottom bracket, BSA will only add like 50-75 grams I believe. I use the shimano deore BB52 bottom bracket which cost like $15, basic tools to install, using it for 2 years now and spins super nice and smooth just like the day I got it and never heard a single creak from it

The same can be said about press fit BB.
To tighten a BSA you need a special tool.
While you can do a press/extractor for about $5 with a 13mm bolt and washers, or get some more sophisticated ones for $15 on ebay.

When my bearings are not smooth enough to my liking, I replace them with Aliexpress ones.
I ride about 8,000km per year, and change them twice.
Probably because I live in the muddy Belgium, and I like them very smooth.
On the dry, a couple of ceramic bearings from aliexpress at $10 would last ages.

For the creaking, you first have to be sure it comes from the BB, which is often questionnable.
A carbon frame is like a drum, a noise you ear somewhere can come from the other side.
If in the end the BB is creaking, add some Loctite, and put it back.

Like everything, you mostly read stories about people complaining.
And do not see the silent majority( most new bikes are PF ) who have never had any problems in thousands of km, like me.

I've had a couple of failed frames, that I looked into or cut to see more details in them.
And each time, I was appalled by the poor quality of the alloy shells in the frames we buy.
There may be some good ones, but buying a frame now, I insure it is bare carbon PF.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:50:04 AM by carbonazza »

bxcc

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »
I'm sure there are good and bad to both. I would think that a lot of it has to do with proper use and maintenance.

Personally, I stick with BSA and Sram GXP stuff as it's on 7 out of the 9 bikes in my house and I like things being interchangeable. Not that I would want to use my daughters 155mm NX crank on my bike, but in my head it makes sense  ???. Just as all the brakes (8 of 9 as one is a roadie) are Shimano Deore or higher so I only keep one extra set of pads with me on weekend adventures with the family.

dinsum

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »

The same can be said about press fit BB.
To tighten a BSA you need a special tool.
While you can do a press/extractor for about $5 with a 13mm bolt and washers, or get some more sophisticated ones for $15 on ebay.

When my bearings are not smooth enough to my liking, I replace them with Aliexpress ones.
I ride about 8,000km per year, and change them twice.
Probably because I live in the muddy Belgium, and I like them very smooth.
On the dry, a couple of ceramic bearings from aliexpress at $10 would last ages.

For the creaking, you first have to be sure it comes from the BB, which is often questionnable.
A carbon frame is like a drum, a noise you ear somewhere can come from the other side.
If in the end the BB is creaking, add some Loctite, and put it back.

Like everything, you mostly read stories about people complaining.
And do not see the silent majority( most new bikes are PF ) who have never had any problems in thousands of km, like me.

I've had a couple of failed frames, that I looked into or cut to see more details in them.
And each time, I was appalled by the poor quality of the alloy shells in the frames we buy.
There may be some good ones, but buying a frame now, I insure it is bare carbon PF.

I agree BSA isn't the best, but it is the least problematic, I got my BSA tool for $3 from ebay, acts as a chain whip too, works perfect as both

An example of a situation where press fit is good, the CS-041 frame was designed with a bigger and wider bottom bracket area which allows for wider chainstays, which stiffens the frame up nicely and you save the weight of not needing the BSA fitting, in this case press fit is very much worth it

An example of a situation where press fit isn't as good is the workswell 062 frame, because the chainstays were not designed around a specific wider press fit, you get no stiffness added when going to press fit, all you get is a little bit of weight savings which isn't really worth the trouble for most of the riders out there

I actually really want the CS-041 frame but why does it have to be so expensive!  $570 USD now, $660 with shipping, my workswell 062 was $350 shipped, maybe ill bite the bullet and just order it I have heard great things about that frame

carbonazza

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2018, 04:08:21 PM »
I agree BSA isn't the best, but it is the least problematic...
I actually really want the CS-041 frame but why does it have to be so expensive!  $570 USD now, $660 with shipping, my workswell 062 was $350 shipped, maybe ill bite the bullet and just order it I have heard great things about that frame

bxcc is spot on, there isn't probably a clearly better BB style than the other.
We all seem happy of our BB choices, and tend to use the same standards on our various bikes, for ease of maintenance, and interchangeable parts.

It happens I have both the 041 and the 062.
From what I read recently here, it seems they do not build the 041 anymore, or maybe it is just temporary?

Not sure what makes the 041 so expensive, but I flashed on it when I saw it.
And don't regret buying it.
It is much more stable and stiffer than the 062 or other branded bikes I tried.
I would have a really hard time to replace it by something else if it broke.

I liked the M-009 from Tideace a lot, it looks nice, and is stiff too.
However the recent episode about their poor warranty support, and the limit to a 34T chainring turn me off now.

Good luck for your choice :)

dinsum

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »
I agree BSA isn't the best, but it is the least problematic...

bxcc is spot on, there isn't probably a clearly better BB style than the other.
We all seem happy of our BB choices, and tend to use the same standards on our various bikes, for ease of maintenance, and interchangeable parts.

It happens I have both the 041 and the 062.
From what I read recently here, it seems they do not build the 041 anymore, or maybe it is just temporary?

Not sure what makes the 041 so expensive, but I flashed on it when I saw it.
And don't regret buying it.
It is much more stable and stiffer than the 062 or other branded bikes I tried.
I would have a really hard time to replace it by something else if it broke.

I liked the M-009 from Tideace a lot, it looks nice, and is stiff too.
However the recent episode about their poor warranty support, and the limit to a 34T chainring turn me off now.

Good luck for your choice :)

Good Info! But omg now I really want to buy the cs-041 lol

Already spent enough in the last few days with a wearable gimbal and gopro 5, also made a order on wiggle for truing stand, dishing tool and spoke guage lol,  the frame will have to wait for now unless I see it go on sale

SARED

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2018, 12:43:36 AM »
I hear you all!

I have an PF30 “OSSB” or something Spez calls it on my Epic and i never had any creaking (i press it in myself with no compounds added). I just found that with the sideload bearing there are a very small margen between pinching the bearings and loose/ play on crank. I wish i can find a 30mm ID wavy washer to replace the cone tentioner... just to try it. 

If the frame came in a PF30 i would have taken that option but it’s eather BSA or BB30. I also came accross a XX1 DM gxp Q168 for $217 at Bike- components.de. So i figured: BSA frame with appropriate BB and this crank= good enough. (I would have liked a Q156) PF frame and BB combo are just lighter than BSA. But sometimes out choices are directed in a direction due to external influences.

Brakes wise: i have never used any other hydraulic beakes other than Shimano. (Had my fair share of whipe outs lol) What i have seen and from my fello riders localy: avid and formula sucks. SRAM guide ok but overkill for XC, always good things from Hope but far and few used localy in South Africa. I will look for a used set of hope Tech x2 and give it a try. Can always sell it on.

It’s time i broaden my horizons a bit and try some new and different equipment.

SARED

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »
Peter just replied to my email : They have stop producing the CS-041 Sl frame. No more , nada, nothing any more.

They now concentrate mainly on CA-057, CS- 218 SL and CS-887 SL frames. They still do MB01 frames but only in BSA and BB30, delivery end March due Chinese lunar calender holiday.

Bhaalgorn

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2018, 12:10:06 PM »
I love bb30 and pf30. Little trick I learned from using an eccentric BB for singlespeed... apply a thick coat of Oatey® Great White® Pipe Joint Compound With PTFE around the BB shell where it interfaces with the BB (just don't get it in on the bearing seals or wipe away the excess if you do).

Also, RE: MB01... I'd stay away from anything with polymer inserts. They'll eventually dry out and crack. Get your compliance from your wheels, not a seatstay gimmick.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:11:59 PM by Bhaalgorn »

carbonazza

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 03:11:06 AM »
... apply a thick coat of Oatey® Great White® Pipe Joint Compound With PTFE...

You mean using Oatey's compound instead of Loctite 609 or similar ?

SARED

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 03:51:50 AM »
I love bb30 and pf30. Little trick I learned from using an eccentric BB for singlespeed... apply a thick coat of Oatey® Great White® Pipe Joint Compound With PTFE around the BB shell where it interfaces with the BB (just don't get it in on the bearing seals or wipe away the excess if you do).

Also, RE: MB01... I'd stay away from anything with polymer inserts. They'll eventually dry out and crack. Get your compliance from your wheels, not a seatstay gimmick.

Just a quick Q: do you have a MB01?

Bhaalgorn

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 07:01:39 AM »
... apply a thick coat of Oatey® Great White® Pipe Joint Compound With PTFE...

You mean using Oatey's compound instead of Loctite 609 or similar ?

Correct. Oateys is great stuff. Just make sure you don't buy the PVC glue