Author Topic: Sanity check my P9 build, please!  (Read 16348 times)

deezums

Re: Sanity check my P9 build, please!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »
And I think I'm gonna have to do it again! I left the rear brake line too long, it gets stuck on my lockout. I still need to adjust a bunch, still not sure how I want it. The bars are all a mess, I need to do something about it. I ran the brakes backwards, it makes more sense to me with experience riding motorcycles.

I managed to get some more riding in, and pictures! There's a fun little spot not far from where I live, where I keep managing to hurt myself  :)

https://s17.postimg.org/mlmiz5dod/IMG_20180131_172642.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/9u8csnjbx/IMG_20180131_172655.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/szbm2eqa5/IMG_20180131_172823.jpg

I think I'm going to get new tires, thinking WTB Rangers or Maxxis Chronicles. Something that rolls just a bit easier!

rideczech

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
I run a Rekon out back and its a great tyre.....I have always run a quicker tyre on the rear and something aggressive on the front....

deezums

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
I think I figured out what a lot of my problems were on hitting these jumps, I had my handlebars rotated way too far back and I'm guessing lost a lot of leverage over the front end. I was having a hard time getting the front to pop off kickers, no matter how hard I tried to preload it just seemed to eat it up even more and leave me no speed till the rear hit and tries to send you OTB...

Rotating them forward moved me forwards a good bit and I'm able to manipulate the front much easier. I can pretty reliably clear the jump between the trees in the last photo  ;D

I went and rode some real trails today and had a blast, part of the ride was maybe a 500-800 meter 20% grade to "earn the decent" and this thing eats it up so we did it twice! It climbs better than the 2013 stumpy elite on the same hill, and I seemed to be having an easier time than my buddy on the SJ6F with the 9-46 ethirteen cassette. I forgot to use the dual position front shock the first time up and really didn't notice much of a difference the second time, kind of wishing I got a solo air now since they've got more easy upgrades. Maybe I just need to find steeper hills!

Spent some time working on some jumps in the afternoon too, with shovels and bikes both...

My buddy jumping the stumpy, then my bike after the sun pretty much gave up. He slipped off the brake levers and almost ate a tree, I moved them in quite a bit to work them with one finger  :)

I need to get a MTB friendly gopro setup!

deezums

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »
I've been busy enjoying the bike! I got some new tires, the WTB Ranger Fast/Light. Dropped over a pound of rotating mass, 532g to be exact! I also picked up some cheap plastic fenders, you can use a front one on the rear rather easily.

I've also been busy helping build jumps, no dig no ride!

https://s17.postimg.org/rp4quzjd9/IMG_20180213_171529.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/iu3wkhhq5/IMG_20180218_162223.jpg

I also bought a vinyl cutter, it's a learning curve but I think I'm figuring it out!

I believe my piviot bearings are going out, I took the rear pivots apart and found some rust. I get some squeaks on occasion. Thinking I might have to take the thing apart and measure everything, either that or wait till after the 28th to hear back from Ican!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 06:24:29 AM »
Love the plus tires, sorry to hear the bearings may all need to be replaced.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

bxcc

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »
I also bought a vinyl cutter, it's a learning curve but I think I'm figuring it out!

Nice! Funny you mention this as I bought one a couple weeks ago also. Which one did you get? There is a bit of a learning curve but I think I have it figured out. It's the cut settings that seem to be variable. I've been using some Oracal 651 with great results but I've also got some black reflective vinyl that's been a bit of a pain. I've set the depth so it's cutting halfway through the paper and it's still a PITA to weed. It also decided to leave an adhesive deposit on the cutting blade which then pulled all the letters off and I ruined half a sheet.

bxcc

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
Some reflective black pictures. Flash vs no flash

Silverado123

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 06:39:14 PM »
Cool man thats awesome!

deezums

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:50 PM »
Nice! Funny you mention this as I bought one a couple weeks ago also. Which one did you get? There is a bit of a learning curve but I think I have it figured out. It's the cut settings that seem to be variable. I've been using some Oracal 651 with great results but I've also got some black reflective vinyl that's been a bit of a pain. I've set the depth so it's cutting halfway through the paper and it's still a PITA to weed. It also decided to leave an adhesive deposit on the cutting blade which then pulled all the letters off and I ruined half a sheet.

I got a UScutter MH365, the little one. I've worked with lots of cheap chinese laser cutters, cnc routers and other oddities, this one is by far the smoothest one I've played with yet.

I'm using some greenstar outdoor stuff for now, figured I'd practice on the cheap stuff but it's honestly not too bad where I've used it so far. I did a few tests to calibrate blade offset and messed with the roller pressure so it doesn't emboss the material so much. I also turned up the cutting pressure quite a bit and the speed way down, I think I have it around 60mm/s and 180-200g for a pressure.

I managed to cut a tiny little brake rotor, going to make a "Right hand front" sticker to warn people! This complicated mess weeded just fine but the big block text to the left did not! I think it is because most of the cuts on the artwork were continuous, but the text had sharp corners where the blade stopped or restarted. I imported a raw DXF as a test, it cut that segment by segment as if there was no continuous contour!! Not good for weeding!

That black reflective stuff is cool, I'm going to have to get some of that! I might try using a new blade to see if I can keep from wasting a sheet, I've accidentally ran across the wear strip a few times on accident besides all the vinyl I've cut.

deezums

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:16 PM »
I took the rear apart today and measured the bearings. They're all one size, 6801's! A few are totally shot, super chunky turning, the rest are OK. I thought my spraying the bike with the hose for two hours cleaning clay off might have caused some water intrusion but everything under the dust shields looks OK. Now I am thinking they were low quality to begin with or there was some glue intrusion maybe? There are 11 in total, the front chainstay piviot has two bearings on the drive side and one on the non-drive side. Interestingly, the suspension piviot is all aluminum and only painted or coated black, some cool machining went into that piece. The chainstay piviot bolt is aluminum but solid construction. I remember seeing something of these breaking on other Ican frames. I'm looking back now and can't find where I saw that now, were those that snapped hollow?

Anyway, what I found with the sticky bearings doesn't seem like something that would cause the squeaking I'm hearing, argh!!

Back to crummy cold and wet weather for the near future, boo   :(

bxcc

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 03:55:02 PM »

I got a UScutter MH365, the little one. I've worked with lots of cheap chinese laser cutters, cnc routers and other oddities, this one is by far the smoothest one I've played with yet.

That's a sweet cutter! I'm completely new to this so I went with the "scrap booking grandmother" model at $199 from Amazon. So far it's been great for what I want to do. I think the issue with the vinyl has more to do with the thickness of the adhesive layer as it seems to incorporate the reflective sparkles to some extent. If that makes sense.

R_Pierce

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 05:48:59 AM »
I took the rear apart today and measured the bearings. They're all one size, 6801's! A few are totally shot, super chunky turning, the rest are OK. I thought my spraying the bike with the hose for two hours cleaning clay off might have caused some water intrusion but everything under the dust shields looks OK. Now I am thinking they were low quality to begin with or there was some glue intrusion maybe? There are 11 in total, the front chainstay piviot has two bearings on the drive side and one on the non-drive side. Interestingly, the suspension piviot is all aluminum and only painted or coated black, some cool machining went into that piece. The chainstay piviot bolt is aluminum but solid construction. I remember seeing something of these breaking on other Ican frames. I'm looking back now and can't find where I saw that now, were those that snapped hollow?

Anyway, what I found with the sticky bearings doesn't seem like something that would cause the squeaking I'm hearing, argh!!

Back to crummy cold and wet weather for the near future, boo   :(

I broke mine.  Bolt was solid aluminum and broke right where the threaded portion meets the shank.

frank1979

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »
Hey guys I'm new here. Just looking at picking up a p9 and was wondering about people's input on the frame and how the sizing works. I usually ride a medium to large frame I'm 5'10. Thanks guys

chetosmachine

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 07:41:05 AM »
On rideczech's thread there's a bit of chat about sizing.

http://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=1303.60

frank1979

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
Thank you for the info.