Author Topic: Sanity check my P9 build, please!  (Read 16451 times)

deezums

Re: Sanity check my P9 build, please!
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
I wish I could be more help but I haven't many points to reference, other than the two stumpys pictured above. Those are both large, my frame is a medium and feels less cramped than either now that I have my bars angled properly. If you look at the comparison between a medium P9 and a Large SJ6F here you'll see they are pretty dang close except the chainstay...

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/specialized-stumpjumper-fsr-carbon-6fattie-2016-l,ican-p9-2017-m/

I wish I got a 150-170mm dropper post now, I had mine as low as it would go and it was great till I hit a climb. I've been slowly raising it, and I've been bit by the saddle twice now!

I might look into making some spare lower piviot bolts, just in case. I should have measured the thing while I had it out. Guess I still need to replace those bearings, anyway. What's your guy's opinion on the enduro bearings, I think they have more bearings for better load capacity? They aren't cheap, must be good  ;D

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:52:21 PM by deezums »

ijak

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 06:12:31 PM »
FYI i built this up over 6 months ago - you can see it here: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1349.0.html

I did a 29er build, so let me know if you have any questions.

Just going through your post - i routed the dropper cable over the BB shell (all internal). As for the additional holes, I covered it with clear tape.

chetosmachine

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 04:28:02 AM »
FYI i built this up over 6 months ago - you can see it here: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1349.0.html

Just going through your post - i routed the dropper cable over the BB shell (all internal). As for the additional holes, I covered it with clear tape.

Could you make a report of your bike pros & cons after 6 months?

ijak

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
PROS:
P9 is a very up to date enduro 29er frame. It compares to many late 2017/2018 29ers from large companies (Norco, Specialized, Giant, Transition etc) Long Reach, Slack, Long wheel base, Good Travel. (If you want XC like, go P8)
Stiffer than Aluminum (Giant Reign) in comparison.
Fast and Stable, Easy to maneuver (compared to my Medium Giant Reign)
Threaded BB
Decent Progression on shock i believe like 28-30%, so Coil is compatible.
32 pounds weight.

CONS:
Not extensively tested so don't know about durability, but you pay for what you get.
Bolts and Nuts are not greased at all. Built in nuts (Shock, Brake Mount) seems like they use a soft aluminum so it may strip easily if threaded wrong or forced.
Bearings generic, don't know how well they will hold up.
Too many internal cabling holes (water will get into the frame).
Lacks Protection (BB, Downtube, Chainstay/Seat stay). Had to install my own.
32 pounds weight.

This is what I can come up with so far. Ask more questions and I can help out.

chetosmachine

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
What kind of shock would you recomend for the P9?
I've seen a very cheap RS Deluxe RT ( open&trail compression modes) and also, a not so cheap Fox dps (with 3 pos compression) and I would like to know, how important would be to have a "platform" for pedalling...
I appreciate any inputs
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:21:00 PM by chetosmachine »

ijak

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »
I've seen a very cheap RS Deluxe RT ( open&trail compression modes) and also, a not so cheap Fox dps (with 3 pos compression) and I would like to know, how important would be to have a "platform" for pedalling...
I appreciate any inputs

really depends what you are using the bike for....any climbing long climbs (10+ mins involved), a "firm" pedaling platform is useful.

really right now for 210x55 Shock required for this bike here's your options:

RockShox:
Deluxe (RT - the trail mode will firm it up a bit which will help with pedaling, RC3 or RCT3 is what you want)
Super Deluxe (same as above with piggyback which is much better for long descent)
Super Deluxe Coil (same as above, but Coil)

Fox:
Dpx2 (comes with 3 settings, expensive, hard to find)

DVO:
Topaz (what I am using. Love it. 3 settings - if you get lucky it's best bang for buck imo)

Cane Creek - Expensive:
DB Coil IL (comes with climb switch)
DB Air IL (same as above in the air version)
DB Coil CS (piggy back version of the above, climb switch)
DB Air CS (same as above in the air verson, climb switch)

R_Pierce

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 12:16:34 AM »
I appreciate any inputs

really depends what you are using the bike for....any climbing long climbs (10+ mins involved), a "firm" pedaling platform is useful.

really right now for 210x55 Shock required for this bike here's your options:

RockShox:
Deluxe (RT - the trail mode will firm it up a bit which will help with pedaling, RC3 or RCT3 is what you want)
Super Deluxe (same as above with piggyback which is much better for long descent)
Super Deluxe Coil (same as above, but Coil)

Fox:
Dpx2 (comes with 3 settings, expensive, hard to find)

DVO:
Topaz (what I am using. Love it. 3 settings - if you get lucky it's best bang for buck imo)

Cane Creek - Expensive:
DB Coil IL (comes with climb switch)
DB Air IL (same as above in the air version)
DB Coil CS (piggy back version of the above, climb switch)
DB Air CS (same as above in the air verson, climb switch)

Hopefully Manitou comes out with something soon for the metric shock's.  Would be nice for them to add a 210x55 Mcleod to that list.

chetosmachine

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2018, 07:52:27 AM »
@R_Pierce, I've been told Manitou will introduce the new McLeods sizes around June....
@ijak, Thank you.

I have seen a RS Deluxe RT for 136€, so there's nothing that could beat this price. I have had a FS bike with a 3 pos Monarch on it for 5 years. I have yet to use the Lock position, and 99% of the time, the shock is in trail position. I think this Deluxe RT may be the one that fills the tick.
And wtf, I can always upgrade the shock if needed =)

ijak

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
In my opinion - just dish out the money for a good shock off the start. i've spent wayyyyy too much "upgrading" along the way.

Also if you are getting the frame from ican, double check if they offer RS's super deluxe RC3 - it should be about 240€.

R_Pierce

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »
In my opinion - just dish out the money for a good shock off the start. i've spent wayyyyy too much "upgrading" along the way.

Also if you are getting the frame from ican, double check if they offer RS's super deluxe RC3 - it should be about 240€.

Ill second this except Ill never ride a RS shock again.  After riding my Manitou Mcleod the RS felt like trash.  I couldnt believe the difference in suppleness, overall control, platform.  Everything was way better.  Overall feel.  All of it.

Buy a good shock from the get go.  I also made the mistake of "upgrading" along the way.  Spent WAY more money than I would have just buying the better stuff from the get go.

deezums

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »

Thanks for posting what you did! Yours and rideczeck's build logs are a main reason why I ordered this frame!

With all this talk about shocks and since you're here, did you order that Topaz straight from DVO? I looked around for deals on them but couldn't find much for under $500 or so.

I managed to get a pretty good deal on this Monarch, apparently they came on some trek slash. I bought this one as a factory takeoff on ebay for a touch over $200. I was planning on ordering more volume spacers, it has two now and I can still get through all the travel pretty easily with 12mm or 20% of sag. I think it might be because the frame has a linear leverage ratio and the debonair can is supposed to make the shock less progressive. From what linkage says, it goes from 3.35mm/mm to 2.3mm/mm at full compression. If I am not mistaken, this means it's 150% linearly progressive ratio, as in it's right about 2.85mm/mm at half the travel. I think Specialized Enduro is similar, some people complain about the debonair can and attribute it to the geometry being linear, I assume they mean linearly progressive? But what kind of slope are we talking? I should roughly sketch one of those up, curious what they look like in comparison.

I need to know what my shock does, too. Need to build adapters for my homemade shock dyno.

ijak

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2018, 02:43:39 AM »
Not sure what tune you are using for the monarch but it's one of the reasons why I didn't go for Rockshox as the DVO allowed me to tune the whole system via bladder pressure. There's also a negative air chamber that I can put spacers into which will make the beginning stroke more supple. Then spacers in the positive chamber for bottom out resistance. In terms of progressiveness this frame is pretty close to a 2016 norco range frame. You can YouTube that to find the full break down of the norco range suspension. Overall the frame is progressive enough to use a coil shock.

In terms of the monarch... It's not really the right shock for this bike as monarch don't come in metric..the equivalent would be the deluxe..which is built much better imo. Longer shock with more stroke spacing (210x55 vs 200x57). You also want at least a M/M tune.

frank1979

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06:31 AM »
Not sure if it would work but do you think a 210x65 would work on the p9 frame. Thanks

ijak

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »
Not sure if it would work but do you think a 210x65 would work on the p9 frame. Thanks

For sure NO - 29" or 27.5+" - upon full compression, the frame might touch, but the wheels will touch your dropped seat.
Questionable - 27.5" - the frame might touch

alternatively if you found a cheap shock, you can shim it to 210x55.

chetosmachine

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2018, 05:26:22 AM »

I confirm they offer that shock at that price. That's a no brainer then about which shock to use as start.