Author Topic: What do I need to know? Looking to build a Carbonda 696 or Spcycle g056  (Read 1025 times)

Mapleflames

As the title says -- I'm looking to build a gravel frame this winter/spring. I've been eyeing those two frames, based on some of the content I have read in this forum (as well as a few other spots).

It's been about 15+ years since I last built up a bike. So I'm not new to this, but I am coming at it like I am new. For all intents and purposes, I should as, things were a little more standardized back then (especially in bottom brackets!)

As a Canadian, I'm wondering what sort of lead time I'd be looking at, the typical import and duties, and other bits of information like that. This forum has a lot of great info, but those factors are a bit of a needle in an overwhelmingly large haystack.

Paint job - This is also another area that I'm not fully understanding -- If I buy from Carbonda, do i just tell them i what color(s) i want? If i go with SPcycle, I'll likely go with an off-the-shelf colour, as I like the metallic red they offer.

svanimpe

I've ordered quite a lot of frames from Carbonda. You can just tell them what color you want, or sketch out your design if you want multiple colors, or decals. You can use RAL Classic colors, and some special ones (chameleon etc).

Of the paint jobs I've had them do, most were top-notch (no different from the paint jobs on the mid-tier Specialized frames I used to ride), with only one frame having a small issue (I think someone scratched it after painting and they quickly painted over it, but that paint wasn't smooth).

Mapleflames

That's good to know about the paint job. I was originally thinking of a fade from red to white, but i've reconsidered that. I think solid Red with white stripes is a better way to go.

You can just tell them what color you want, or sketch out your design if you want multiple colors, or decals. You can use RAL Classic colors.

donavanm

No comment on SPCycle/Carbonda/Canada specific bits. But the general ones Ive gleaned from my research & ordering w/ TanTan:

* Expect 3-4 week lead time to manufacturer/get a batch
* 1-2 weeks for paint. Pick your paint color, give them a common RAL/Pantone and they can translate. Or it seems more common in China to use 'YS' color codes https://photos.app.goo.gl/ufVeCKGaE2u7cjeq7. Expect $100 for simple paint, $150-200 for complex fades etc.
* Shipping to AU was $180 and took 1.5 weeks for my frame this month.
* Many frames will come with headsets, quality varies wildly from complete junk to "fine." The carbon seatposts/handlebars/spacers all seem closer to ok-good.
* Make sure to get thru axles with the frame. Thru axle spec (threading and overall length) varies by manufacturer and some of the odd sizes can be hard to find. You can always by better (lighter) axles later.
* You can frequently order extra parts at the same time. eg I got some extra flat bars+spacers+headset+bottle cages for $90
* Verify the BB/seat post/headset sizes when you order. I don't recall any manufacturer actually publishing these specs.