Author Topic: Warranty issues survey  (Read 14930 times)

Mike_Iv

Warranty issues survey
« on: January 04, 2018, 05:14:50 AM »
Hi, guys!
I need your opinions regarding my situation.
I bought Tideace fm-m015 29'' frame about a year ago, built my bike on it, and was really happy) A month ago I found its BSA bottom bracket shell quite loose in it's place and making creaking noises. Store offers 2 years warranty, so I took some pictires of the problem and sent them to Derek from Tideace store. He said they can see the problem and I need to send the frame back: "you can ask others. if their frame was broken or they want to replace new one. they should return the parcel back to us firstly". But i'm not sure about all this sending back thing...
He said I could ask others, so i'm asking: is it really how the frame warranty works? Did you have the similar situations and how was it solved for you?

Thanks!

bxcc

Re: Warranty issues survey
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
That’s a tough one. I know when I had an issue with my Santa Cruz carbon frame, I had to send the frame to them in California. Of course it was only $60 and I got a brand new $2800 frame out of it. Spending $150 or so to get a $300 frame warrantied is something else. If they could repair it and send it back, it might be worth it. I definitely wouldn’t be happy about it though.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »
Yeah, I think it's common practice by companies. Personally, if they were willing to warranty the frame, I'd be okay with paying the shipping. But yeah.. it's not ideal.

Lubunut

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 02:02:49 AM »
I was like you I have to talk to the operator directly. Did you fix it?

Mike_Iv

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 03:50:38 AM »
No, I didn't fix it and I don't know if it's safe to ride.. I talked to Derek from the official Tideace store. Who else could I contact?
I know that some vendors just send a new frame instead of defective one, and my vendor doesn't want to do the same. So I wanted to collect more opinions regarding this situation just to understand how it should be solved under the warranty terms.

Stef27

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 04:53:33 AM »
I think chinese waranty is a big problem.
Low cost---> low waranty.
I hope you will find an issue.
I will read here sometime just to see....

tripleDot

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »
Peter (Carbon Speed) send me a new frame when my almost  a year old RB01 (road bike) frame mysteriously had a crack on one of the seat stay. He asked for photos and I send him what he needed.  After a couple of days he told me he'll send me a new frame but I'll have to shoulder the shipping (50USD... I live in Asia so it was cheaper). I'm good with that. I asked him if I needed to ship back the cracked frame and he told me I can keep it.

The replacement took about a month though as my size wasn't in stock at that time.  But I was informed about the delay when he told me they are replacing it and I was ok with it. Actual shipping cost was 65USD but he shouldered the excess 15USD.

From my experience, not all Chinese warranty is a big problem. I believe that if my size was available at the time I reported it, I could have received the replacement frame within 10 days. 
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

HooligaN

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 03:24:54 AM »
I have problem with Workswell frame - it cracked two of my seat post (frame manufacture failure) They did not come on any solution just said it's my problem. So with warranty it will be same. This was my first and last time buying from Workswell. No problem with Peter!

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:36:59 AM »
As I said on MTBR, I think it is a warranty issue.
And paying $150 to send back a $300 frame does not make much sense.

Well. You could have overtorqued the BB, if you have a BSA, but that does not seem easy to do :)
Lots of folks here see BSA as a safer option for their BB, wait sometimes many more weeks for their build, and in my opinion get an inferior product in the end.
The aluminium shells I saw in details, are quite weak pieces.
The carbon/PF interface, looks simpler and safer to me.
And if it creaks, and you insure it is really coming from the BB, add some Loctite and put back the BB shells.

I'm afraid it comes as we are our own wholesaler/importer with some vendors. Shipping directly from China.
Wholesalers probably cope with those risks, and take this into account in their margin.

Tideace/Haideli sell their frames quite cheaper than Peter.
If your story does not end well, we can unfortunately(I started to like them very much) put them in the same vendor bag as Workswell.
If everything is ok fine. If not... well, you are the one who got a lemon, and are on your own.

On all frames I bought from Peter(for friends, family and me), 2 had problems, one with the shell, and a cracked seatpost.
He honoured the warranty both times.
That has probably a cost for him, that he takes into account.

MTB2223

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 08:34:03 AM »
Tideace/Haideli sell their frames quite cheaper than Peter.
That has probably a cost for him, that he takes into account.
That's why he's a little bit more expensive. He makes a money reservation, so he can give good service during the warranty period.

Mike_Iv

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:48 AM »
Thanks for all your replies, guys.
I mentioned this topic in conversation with Tideace representative. Of course it's not worth sending the frame back, given that a new one would be about $250. But anyway, it seems that according Tideace warranty rules I must return my frame first.
It's very convenient for them, I think, because nobody will return a broken frame back to China and pay shipping taxes and wait who knows how long if they can get a new frame for just another $250. Sure, it's not big money, but it's not about the money, it's about how all this "warranty" thing doesn't really work this way. I wonder if there was anyone who ever sent his frame back to China for rapair)))
As far as I know, Tideace representative was going to register on this forum. So I hope he will speak for himself now.

tripleDot

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:53 PM »
That kind'a feels like Tideace just void your warranty by making it difficult for you to avail it. As you said it, convenient for them.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Ozziel

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 12:13:36 PM »
Hello guys

I had a problem with a FM-M009 Frame from Tideace (Haideli), I made contact with Eddy at haidelibikes2@hotmail.com, and he agree to send me a new one, charging me the shipping cost to Mexico, 70 usd. I bought the frame on ebay.

The problem was a crack in the seat tube. Is anyone having this issue with the FM-M009 frame?

Thanks

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »
...I made contact with Eddy at haidelibikes2@hotmail.com, and he agree to send me a new one, charging me the shipping cost to Mexico, 70 usd...

Thank you for letting us know they honored their warranty !

SportingGoods

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 05:26:37 AM »
Again I come after the battle but I get something to say  ;D

First, it is fair from the shop to offer warranty after return of the frame. You can't blame the shop.
Second, don't built a bike with Chinese sourcing if you are not ready to fix things yourself. I crashed my biked a few years ago, had a minor crack in a tube. I bought a fishing pole repair kit and just fixed it. Bike is still in good, hard use today!
Finally, I had a similar BB shell problem (my fault). I bought epoxy, good quality, and fixed the dawn BB. Same bike, still in use today!

Just do to the best of you ability to fix yourself the problem. And if you have to swallow a cost, well it's the game of saving so many hundred $/€/£ with DIY/Chinese stuff!