Author Topic: P8 Headset Questions  (Read 4908 times)

Janz99

P8 Headset Questions
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get some feedback from the P8 users in here.  I've been riding my P8 for the past few months and love it.  Lately though, it has developed a slight creaking in the headset. I double checked that the stem was tight. 

From what i recall, there were no races that needed to be pressed into the frame for this headset?  There was a split race that went on the fork, and the upper and lower bearings just sort of sit in the frame.

Am I potentially missing something?  This was my first full bike build, but thinking back now it seems that maybe there should be some sort of race that goes in the frame before the bearings? 

Anyone else experience this creaking?  I'm thinking of pulling it apart and lubricating and areas the bearings contact the frame as well as the stem spacers which are also carbon.  Any other suggestions on what to look for/try?

Large Ican P8, Dropper Post and Manitou Shock For Sale

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1588.0.html

carbonazza

Re: P8 Headset Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 04:03:44 AM »
Generally you just place the bearings in the headtube, nothing more.

If you use the cheap chinese headsets from aliexpress or the one who came with your frame, they are disposable parts.
Once they start to crack or aren't smooth anymore, just change them for about $10.
The bottom bearing is generally the first to fail/rust.
You can try to re-regrease the bearings too.

Mine is creaking too for a couple of weeks now, and need to be changed(usually twice a year).

Once, I had some problems with a split crown race.
It wasn't tick enough to provide enough space between the headtube and fork.
Scrubbing the fork, creaking and giving some resistance to turn.
Putting a normal crown race (non-split) solved the issue.

Janz99

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 07:31:43 AM »
I am currently using the headset that came with the P8.  I'm not familiar with how headsets are sized (assuming there are many variations), do you know what size the p8 headset is?

Any particular brands that are better then others?

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 05:06:52 AM »
I'm sorry I've never built a P8.

But generally this headset: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle-Accessories-headset-1-1-8-1-1-2-for-headset-spacer-bicycle-headset-top-cap/32786785084.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4drDYQhk will fit most chinese frames with a 1 1/8 - 1 1/2 headtube like the P8.
When you did build it, if you remember both bearings were seating more or less flush on the headtube ends, you're good with this one.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Why spend so much for something that will fail and rust in the end ?
I tried the Cane Creek 40 for my first build and it didn't last a season ( that was quite wet ).

If you want some more durability, I'm trying for the moment this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-1-2-tapered-headset-bearings-SMH-P16-40x52x7-SUS440-stainless-steel-material/32241211712.html
Which is stainless steel, and seems to hold longer for now.
The bottom bearings is the one who fails first, I never had an issue with the top one.

R_Pierce

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »
I've transferred the same Cane Creek 40 series headset to two frames now...  It's still smooth as butter....  You may be putting too much preload on the bearings?  Or not enough?  You shouldn't be eating headsets. 

Janz99

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
Carbonazza - The first headset you posted looks identical to the one that came with my P8.  There really isn't any sort of dust cover on the lower bearing like there is on the top (at least on my p8).  This could be one of the reasons the lowers are failing quicker, water and dirt and can easily get in there.

R_Pierce - The Cane creek you linked, is this the exact headset you ordered for your P8?  I'm not against spending the extra money on a quality bearing as long as it lasts. 

Thanks for help guys, greatly appreciated.

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 04:43:54 AM »
I've transferred the same Cane Creek 40 series headset to two frames now...  It's still smooth as butter....  You may be putting too much preload on the bearings?  Or not enough?  You shouldn't be eating headsets.
It is generally quite wet here in Belgium, and after a few months of rides in the mud, any headset dies (the bottom bearings).
I didn't try the Cane Creek 110 though or other more expensive brands.

The last bottom bearings I did put is stainless steel, and seems to hold better so far.

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 04:55:24 AM »
There really isn't any sort of dust cover on the lower bearing like there is on the top (at least on my p8).  This could be one of the reasons the lowers are failing quicker, water and dirt and can easily get in there.
The bottom is more exposed indeed.
My guess is water enter from the top when riding or cleaning.
Or maybe even by the hose holes and flows until it reaches the bottom bearings where it stays a little longer before going out.

R_Pierce

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 12:47:00 AM »
Carbonazza - The first headset you posted looks identical to the one that came with my P8.  There really isn't any sort of dust cover on the lower bearing like there is on the top (at least on my p8).  This could be one of the reasons the lowers are failing quicker, water and dirt and can easily get in there.

R_Pierce - The Cane creek you linked, is this the exact headset you ordered for your P8?  I'm not against spending the extra money on a quality bearing as long as it lasts. 

Thanks for help guys, greatly appreciated.

Yes it is

Janz99

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
I just wanted to circle back around and give some feedback on headsets for the P8.  I ended up placing an order and buying the Cane Creek headset that was suggested by R_Pierce.  As suspected it is a very nice piece. 

Taking a step back, when I originally assembled my P8 I thought I was missing something when I assembled the headset.  There was no lower dust cover or any type of seal to keep water and dirt out but being this was my first build I figured they were all like this. 

Fast forward to installing the new Cane Creek headset, when I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised.  I could tell right away why R_Pierce had mentioned he has had it for so long.  The lower fork race has a built in seal that keeps dirt and water out.  The top cap/cover also has built in O-rings that seal on the fork tube to keep water and dirt out. 

All in all it is a very nice headset, and I highly recommend it.  Went in smoothly with no issues.

R_Pierce

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 08:18:01 AM »
Yes sir.  When buying a headset you really do get what you pay for