Author Topic: Air Forks with 130mm - 170mm travel?  (Read 1359 times)

Dirt

Air Forks with 130mm - 170mm travel?
« on: May 14, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »
Just like you, I worship, naked and shivering, at the altar of Fox and Rockshox at the high places. I even sacrificed a newborn lamb in the name of the new god, DVO. But I've got a hankering for some heresy-by-deed, so I'm wondering if any of you all have any insight on suspension forks worth buying from Chinertown. Almost all the offerings I've seen appear to be 100mm and 120mm, and that's just not enough mm!

carbonazza

Re: Air Forks with 130mm - 170mm travel?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 03:30:16 AM »
....new god, DVO... that's just not enough mm!

No long fork here sorry, but... what makes DVO the new god ?
I'm starting a new build and will need a new fork.

lRaphl

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
what makes DVO the new god ?

Old people from Marzocchi doing what they were best know for before the Fox buyout. Their loyal followers are still there. It's a bit like when protestantism was created...same god and all. ;)

chetosmachine

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »
Now, should be DVO be the new god, who would be Suntour that is actually manufacturing them?
Suntour has excellent forks, but not a big name.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 01:35:24 PM »
Now, should be DVO be the new god, who would be Suntour that is actually manufacturing them?

What Suntour fork would you recommend? I'm tempted to spring for a new Pike or Lyric Ultimate but $1k on a fork... I just don't think I can do it.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 03:08:08 PM »

What Suntour fork would you recommend? I'm tempted to spring for a new Pike or Lyric Ultimate but $1k on a fork... I just don't think I can do it.

I put a Suntour Aion 35 on a frame I just built up. The fork is basic but much better than I anticipated. Basic L-OR damper (just rebound and crown lockout lever) but upgradable to their fancier RC2 cartridge with low & high-speed compression. Smooth throughout the travel, progressive compression curve and no stiction to speak of. Seems like great value for money. It's a bit of an anchor compared to the likes of Pike and Fox 34, but these are much more money of course.

Dirt

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 03:30:43 PM »
I'm tempted to spring for a new Pike or Lyric Ultimate but $1k on a fork...

I'm trying to sell a Pike right now for $250 and not getting any bites.  It's like the Universe has gone mad and I am the only sane person left.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:06:56 PM by Dirt »

Dirt

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 11:20:34 PM »

Suntour is an American heartland pay-to-pray Megachurch where simpletons are charged admission to worship their own stupidity.  However, for a select few, if you can afford it, they have back room full of high-stakes poker tables and vending machines stuffed with nubile virgins. 

I had a Suntour XCM air fork on my 2017 Raleigh Tokul 3 and it was a great fork.  Suntour makes a lot of forks, and most of them are low-cost trash, but their higher end stuff seems to be pretty alright.  The baffling thing to me is their naming convention.  XCT, XCR, XCM, what do those things even mean?  Nobody knows.  Some XCMs are air.  Some are coil.  They're all called XCM.  Whoever is in charge of their marketing is either a complete fool or has a brain bigger than the universe and is playing some sort of game so subtle and ingenious we don't even realize we've already lost. 

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 08:31:01 AM »
I'm tempted to spring for a new Pike or Lyric Ultimate but $1k on a fork...

I'm trying to sell a Pike right now for $250 and not getting any bites.  It's like the Universe has gone mad and I am the only sane person left.

I'm interested. PM me the details, if it's still available.

endo.alley

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »
I have used the MRP Ribbon in both the air spring and steel spring models. They seem to work fine.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 04:45:09 PM »
Have used a Manitou mattoc pro 2 27.5 160mm for the last 2 years, best fork I've ridden hands down, has me looking at their 37mm stanchion mezzer family my new build