Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

Squirt and Paraffin wax for your chain

<< < (2/3) > >>

tripleDot:
You might also want to check this out. I've read about this from another guy's blog before I did the paraffin wax lube. But went for paraffin wax lube as it was cheaper and more accessible at that time. A 1kg block of paraffin wax cost me $2 (and I've only used 1/8 of the block for a total of 5 applications) and mini cooker was like $4 and both about 20 min away.

The guy on the video claims it's a one time application and it is good for yhe rest of the chain's life.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=78s&v=CGPcHcgb1qc

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: tripleDot on January 14, 2018, 03:15:25 AM ---You might also want to check this out.
--- End quote ---
Intriguing: “The graphite should have bonded at molecular level to the metal”.
Do you dare to try it first?  ;)

tripleDot:
Apparently, graphite lubricant is an old and still used method for locksmiths.

Having brought this up, I'm actually considering the graphite powder for my next chain replacement, about 2k km to go. Also seeing that ebay now have it in smaller quantities (it was minimum 1kg back then, making shipping expensive). But would have to find that article again, as I remember there was a range of mesh (granular size) that was more suitable.

A bit of correction to my previous post, it seems Oz videos on paraffin waxing wasn't my source. I realized this as I didn't know about the paraffin oil. He also advised re-waxing after around 300km use, which wasn't the case with what I used for reference.

MTB2223:
Interesting! How do you wax ? DIY wax with a rice cooker ?

[Split topic] Original question after this post: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,181.msg16157.html#msg16157

tripleDot:
I also wax my chains with paraffin wax. But instead of rice cooker I use electric kettle similar to the attached photo. Over here in Asia, these kind of kettles (also called mini cookers) are popular because of instant noodles. And comes in various capacities from 300ml to a couple of liters. It's also way cheaper than rice cookers. And some models can actually be used to cook rice or decent meals. Mine was a bit more expensive than what I usually see here but l got it for about US$6.00. I couldn't find paraffin wax locally in small quantity, so I got a 1kg block for US$2. Had already waxed 3 chains twice or trice and the quarter block I used seems enough for a dozen waxing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version