Author Topic: Trouble with CarbonSpeed warranty?  (Read 4095 times)

matthewayres

Trouble with CarbonSpeed warranty?
« on: June 21, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
Hey all, I got a CS156 from Carbon Speed this spring. Built it up, and it rides great. But the other day i found a large chip out of the rear drop-out area. I emailed peter at CarbonSpeed about it, and got the following response:

Was the frame hit by something sharp and stiff ?
From the pictures, we can not tell what happened on the dropout area, and that is only one position, right ? Anyway, you don't have to worry, that won't affect riding and frame quality.
Best Regards,
Peter

Well, it was not hit by something stiff, and it has largely been ridden on Double track with no rocks/logs etc. Also, it clearly is comprising the area around the dropout, so it will have some affect on frame quality and ride quality. I have since emailed Peter 4 times asking respectfully how to start the warranty process, but have yet to receive a response. Any ideas? Anyone else had this problem?  I purchased it because it had a decent warranty, but if they don't honor that warranty, well, that sucks.

MTB2223

Re: Trouble with CarbonSpeed warranty?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »
Yes, you're right, it doesn't look nice. But Peter is also right. I doesn't affect the frame, how silly it sounds.

Once, I had a branch in my spokes, it broke some spokes and also my rear derailleur. My RD hits very hard my frame and my frame was damaged, something you have.
I didn't repair it, because it looks cosmetic and you only sees it when you know it.
And this is already 1,5 years ago and the frame is still holding.

So, from Peters perspective, it's just cosmetic and no frame failure. You're right, a A-brand like Specialized will replace the frame immediately. But that's why a A-brand frame cost five times a Chinese frame.

From you perspective, I understand it completely, you're paying a lot for a Chinese frame (it's a lot cheaper than an A-brand, but still not free), and you bought from Peter because his good reputation he has and the good service he gives.

When Peter honor the warranty, you have to send the frame back (and pay the shipments costs) and Peter will replace the frame (or will repair the frame) and send it back to you. But don't be surprised you have pay his shipments costs also. And maybe you're getting custom taxes (again).

This little failure is in the price. I would let it be like this. It's costs you a lot of effort and money to get it replaced. It's easier to get it repaired or just ignore it. It at the bottom side of you're frame and you will never see it and you will never feel it.

But, yes you're right, it shouldn't be there in the first place. And yes, Peter is also right, it doesn't affect the riding quality.
Make an agreement with Peter you will leave it this way, but when it tears down more, he will replace the frame and take care of his shipment costs.
The margins on the frame is not much for him.

I hope you can come to an agreement you both like. Good luck.