Author Topic: CS-218SL Build: A Replacement for the 256SL?  (Read 1939 times)

Vipassana

CS-218SL Build: A Replacement for the 256SL?
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
Around 3.5 years ago, I was one of the first to receive the new 256SL frameset.  At the time, my coworkers and I actually build 3 identically spec'd 256SL's.  For 3.5 years and many, many thousands of miles, it has been my go-to MTB and the best, most reliable bike I've ever owned.  Unfortunately, through a mistake/accident on my part, I managed to crack the frame about a month ago.  You can see pictures and ready the details here:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,150.msg15890.html#msg15890

After drying my eyes, I emailed Peter at CarbonSpeed to see what my options were to order a replacement (not a warranty replacement as this was totally my fault and I got 3.5 years of good use out of it!).  I had the following:

1) Order another 256SL.
2) Order a CS-041.
3) Order a CS-218SL.

Concerning option 1: The 256SL is now out of production, however, Peter did have one left in stock.  I could order it, paint it up exactly as my original frame and be on my way...

Concerning option 2: The CS-041 is now out of production.  But even if i could get one, I would need to buy a new crankset to replace my BB30 unit along with a new seatpost.  I was also worried about the fairly wide seat stay to top tub junction that many have complained hits their knees/legs while riding.

Concerning option 3:  The CS-218SL is very new and basically untested by the community.  It is very similar to the CS-256SL in the front triangle, BB, and chain stay design.  It has nearly identical geometry to the 256SL.  It comes in BB30 so I could reuse my crank.  It requires a new seatpost.  The design of the seat stay to seat tube junction appears much better than the 256SL, which has been shown to be the weakpoint of the frame.  It is basically the same weight as the 256SL (ie really, really light).

All options considered, I ordered a CS-218SL from Peter.  As expected, Peter was very quick and professional in his responses.  He worked with me to get the paint scheme I wanted and rushed the order to make it out before Chinese New Year.  The shipping was very quick at about 8 days from Xiamen to Arizona.

The frame arrived (with a couple of seat posts) packaged perfectly, very secure in the box.  The paint work is exactly what I wanted and is as well done as my first frame (which has proved to be very durable).  The UD finish is A LOT more visible which is neat.

I elected to go with similar colors as a throwback to the "old" bike, but with a new design that I think looks "faster".  I do not have a photo of the exact weight, but it was right around 1100g.  which is on par with the 256SL which I think was about 1070g.

I'll be moving all the parts from the 256SL over to this frame in the next two weeks and will then update the group with my thoughts on this frameset.

Some pictures to hold you over:

The box didn't fit in the car.  It was either drive home with the trunk open or leave the kid at the post office and use the rear seat... begrudgingly used the trunk.

MTB2223

Re: CS-218SL Build: A Replacement for the 256SL?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:30:35 AM »
Sad to hear you broke your 256SL. But very happy to see this one! Awesome design!

Bhaalgorn

Re: CS-218SL Build: A Replacement for the 256SL?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 12:10:07 PM »
O_O I'm in love with that custom paint!