Author Topic: Ican p8 sizing  (Read 3317 times)

Jfoo

Ican p8 sizing
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
Looking at a p8, which I believe is somewhat of a Norco Sight clone.  I am 5'5" 30" inseam normal build.  I am usually between a Small and Medium.  I have become quite a bit more particular with fit in my old age and seeing as I cant throw a leg over one of these I am looking for input.  I don't like being behind the BB when seated and pedaling, but I don't want to be cramped when descending out of the saddle.  The geo numbers suggest that I would probably be better off with a small but I do not know how accurate those numbers really are.  For those who are riding them is the sizing true or does it ride larger or smaller than what the geo chart says?

Carbon_Dude

Re: Ican p8 sizing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
Having a bike with a dropper seat post makes it easier to throw a leg over if it's getting harder for you to do.  It's hard to say about sizing, the two Chinese carbon bikes I've owned were both true to size.  I think the frame designers try not to have too much ambiguity in their sizing since they know people aren't able to ride the bike before they purchase.  Best thing you can do is test ride a few bikes at your local bikes shops, find something you like, then see if there is a Chinese frame that comes close.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

R_Pierce

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »
Ill also say that I feel the bikes are true to size.  With that said, Im 5'11" tall (a bit taller in the torso area 31" inseam) and am on a medium frame.  Its very comfortable without feeling like Im stretched WAY out.  I would like to try a large size but feel that it may feel a bit long in the reach department.

But with that said, you look at some others and see guys at my height or an inch shorter and they are riding size large frames.  So who knows.

I can say with 100% certainty a P8 with a 29er setup in a size large would be very uncomfortable for me in the stand over department.  Im aware people dont like to use that number as a reference, but when my boys sit on the top tube on a size medium...  a large would likely make them feel quite uncomfortable.

Jfoo

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I would like to run a 35mm stem on a medium but like its been said- its a lot easier to run a slightly longer stem than try to shorten your top tube!

R_Pierce

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I would like to run a 35mm stem on a medium but like its been said- its a lot easier to run a slightly longer stem than try to shorten your top tube!

I should add, Im running a Renthal Apex 31mm stem.  As well as a 150mm travel front fork with a 200x57 rear shock.  So There is a little added height there at the BB from the 150mm fork vs the 120mm its spec'd with.

Jfoo

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »

I should add, Im running a Renthal Apex 31mm stem.  As well as a 150mm travel front fork with a 200x57 rear shock.  So There is a little added height there at the BB from the 150mm fork vs the 120mm its spec'd with.

good info.  I am debating Fork travel as well.  With the 57mm rear stroke wheel travel ends up around 135mm correct?  I am planning on running 27.5x 2.6 or 2.8" tires and was hoping for a BB height between 320-340mm.

R_Pierce

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 02:06:30 PM »

good info.  I am debating Fork travel as well.  With the 57mm rear stroke wheel travel ends up around 135mm correct?  I am planning on running 27.5x 2.6 or 2.8" tires and was hoping for a BB height between 320-340mm.

Correct.  Roughly 135mm in the rear.  With the 150mm front travel and 29 x 2.4 rear/29 x 2.5 front tires Im right at 330mm to center of BB.  So be prepared to be on the lower side of that with the 27.5 x 2.8 tires.  These bikes do have a rather low BB height.