Author Topic: New Gravel Bike  (Read 8843 times)

Carbon_Dude

New Gravel Bike
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:41:07 PM »
I've been thinking about a gravel bike for a while now.  I was never sure what I would like though, when it came to a "skinny" tire bike.  I have a really good relationship with my local bike shop that's just a mile up the road from my home.  Last week I stopped in and was chit chatting about bikes (of course) with the owner and he mentioned that he has had a lot of fun on his gravel bike.  I said I was thinking about it but wasn't sure what size I would even ride or what a good model would be.  He walked over and pulled a 2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata 2X SRAM Rival, in a 58cm size, and told me to take it and demo it for the weekend.

After a short test drive I was pretty much hooked.  He gave me a ridiculously good price on it, a $1,500 discount, I just couldn't say no.

Here's a pic, please ignore the pedals, I just got a set of XTR pedals and put them on today:

If the bike shop owner is available, he and I are going to go do some gravel riding tomorrow.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

bxcc

Re: New Gravel Bike
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 06:49:19 AM »
Sweet bike! I'm just a bit jealous.

I demo'd one last fall for the first time and it was a lot more fun and trail capable than I expected. It was the OTSO Warakin which is a stainless steel frame. A gravel bike is on my list but I'm not sure when I'll be able to bring one home. I try to keep it to one bike a year and I just built my daughter a new bike. I did happen to slip in some new wheels for my trail bike too so I need to replenish the bike funds first.

tripleDot

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »
Wow! That truly was a great deal you got there. Sweet bike at a great discount.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

325racer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:23:16 PM »
Nice new bike.  Gravel will be my next bike, but easily a year out and actually thinking of building a lugged steal frame next year.

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
Nice deal and bike! A good relationship with an lbs is great!

I have the same Maxxis tires on mine.
Did you try various pressure yet?
I settled at 3 bar(43psi) for now, but don’t know what would be the best.

Not a scientific test.
But they look as well to roll better on hard pack than my friends’ tired(Clement and Specialized), when going down coasting
And not by a small margin.
And they are heavier than me.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 04:36:51 PM »
Nice deal and bike! A good relationship with an lbs is great!

I have the same Maxxis tires on mine.
Did you try various pressure yet?
I settled at 3 bar(43psi) for now, but don’t know what would be the best.

Not a scientific test.
But they look as well to roll better on hard pack than my friends’ tired(Clement and Specialized), when going down coasting
And not by a small margin.
And they are heavier than me.

Yes, the bike came with Maxxis Rambler tires, I suppose they are good, I've not tried to vary the pressure yet, I've only had two short rides on the bike.  I just received a set of XTR pedals and installed them yesterday.  I need to make a few adjustments on the seat position/angle.  I did find a great place to ride it though, there is a state park near me that has an inner loop that's wide and fairly smooth dirt/sand double track, and goes around a beautiful lake.  I'll have to take some pictures next time I'm there.  It's about an 8-9 mile loop and it's fairly fun, you even ride through some camping areas where you smell people grilling steak and such.

I'll try setting my pressures around 42/43psi on my next ride.  I'm sure if I ride on pavement I could bring the pressures up, but I would be guessing on what pressure is good for the road.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:39:02 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

325racer

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 12:30:12 AM »
Ride them anyplace you ride MTB....  I actually rode my Road bike with 28mm slicks on the same trails, well, many of the same trails, would have done more if I had mtn pedals vs road pedals.

Whenever I build a gravel bike, I will ride it on all the same trails I would normally mtn.  After all a 40mm tire is approaching late 80s early 90s mtb tire sizes.  Overall geometry and components will probably make a modern gravel bike more capable than my 1992 Bridgestone MB-2 mtn bike.  (Only use that occasionally to remind me why I have new bikes)