Author Topic: New Hong Fu FM058 build  (Read 25615 times)

sclyde2

Re: New Hong Fu FM058 build
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 05:48:18 AM »
I did the zip tie trick to stop the internal cable rattle.  I won't know for sure until I take it for a proper ride, but it appears to have worked.

It certainly would've been a lot easier to do if I did it before I originally routed the cables, connected up the brake hose or installed the bottom bracket.  I also wasn't equipped to remove the bottom bracket, so access was pretty tough.  It took a while, but I managed to get zip ties on the gear cable along the full length of the downtube.  I didn't quite get zip ties along the (downtube) length of the brake hose, but got most of it (mainly the bottom half, only a couple up at the head tube end).  Hopefully I have done enough.

I have managed to find some time to go for a ride tomorrow at a local trail - a xc-ish loop, with a few rougher bits, a few challenging features.

So official new bike day is tomorrow. Feels like Xmas Eve again. 

carbonazza

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 09:00:04 AM »
... I have read of other suggestions, where they put something soft around the cables, like some kind of rubber or Velcro.

Capgo provides a foam shell to wrap the hoses: http://capgo.de/en/capgo-ol--noise-protection--2m_1111.html ( and quite a few other good products ).
r2-bikes sells them too: https://r2-bike.com/CAPGO-OL-Noise-Protection-for-Brakehose-Braking-Outer-Shell-2m

However I don't see clearly how to put either the foam shell or zip ties inside the frames.
But will certainly try next time too.

sclyde2

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 02:00:39 AM »
i took the bike for its first ride.  did 2 laps of a local loop, about an hour total.

the anti-cable-rattle-solution i attempted was not 100% effective.  occasionally i could hear a faint rattle, but it was rare.  for the moment, i will leave it as is, as it isn't very bad at all, and the trails i rode on were particularly rough and rocky so i probably won't hear it in a race. (I might look into that capgo stuff though)

anyway, the minor cable rattle is completely utterly outweighed by the way the bike rode.  it blew me away.  even though i've had a few ellsworths, a few titus bikes, it surprised me just how great this bike is. it isn't my first 29er but i suppose it is my first 29er full suspension, so maybe that partly explains it.  it was just effortless at ploughing through the rough stuff, maintaining momentum.  when looking at sizing (i'm usually between small and medium), i was a little concerned that it might be a touch too long for me, that i might struggle to get enough weight onto the front tyre for cornering, but I found no such compromised cornering.  given the wheelbase on this thing (longer than my other bikes), i was very surprised how well it pivoted around corners - there's gotta be something in that short 435mm chainstay length.

everything felt flatter - the techy climbs were easy, with no signs of reaching the traction limits, and the down steppy techy droppy bits seemed so easy.  the shorter stem, slacker headangle (compared to my old FS 26ers 90mm and 71 degrees) and bigger wheels certainly eliminated those front-tippy feelings that i had through certain downhill obstacle sections on my old bike.  i certainly feel more "in" the bike, rather than "on" it, so reckon i will have a bit more confidence to push it a bit harder through the fast and techy stuff.

there was no noticeable bobbing under power.  the high main pivot should give it a bit of anti-squat, and that's how it seems to ride - though i havent yet done any smooth long climbs to really test that out.  i ran the rear shock with the platform wide open while i tinkered with the air pressures.  started the ride at 140psi in the rear shock, dropped it to 130, then hit a decent sized jump, and launched it - even though i didn't feel it, i measured the full 38mm of travel being used on the rear shock, so bumped it up to 135 and will leave it there for the next few rides/races.  i then put in on the 2nd platform setting (of 4) and will leave it there for the race on sunday.  i usually tend to notice bobbing in the fork more when stomping anyway, and have a remote lockout for that.  having said that, i will probably get the new rockshox twistloc when it comes out - a 10mm cable pull on my fork and rear shock will suit me well.  i left the fork at 85psi, and managed to use about 95mm travel.

i did not notice the slightly forward position of the saddle (about 10-15mm forward of where i usually have it).  given how well it went, i am a bit hesitant to change anything, but i will still get a setback post, mainly so i can put the middle of the saddle rails on the clamp, so i can use my carbon railled saddle.  one of my calves is prone to tensing up and cramping, so i recently started experimenting with slightly further rearward cleat position, which necessitates a slightly forward saddle position - so maybe my new "norm" saddle position will be close to where it is currently on my new bike.  we'll see how this experiment goes. 

other than previously mentioned changes (lighter seatpost clamp, sealant instead of tubes), i can't see myself changing anything.  i have been looking at newer 51mm offset forks, but my old fork, which got serviced recently, went so well, i see no real need to upgrade it (yet).  i was considering converting it to tubeless before sunday's event, but i think i'll be patient and stick with tubes until after i finish the event.

i am pretty sure this new bike will make me faster.  i won't know for sure until i have my next race at my club, at the usual race track, against the usual competitors.  that isn't until next month though.  i am still very much looking forward to this sunday's club event (at another track i havent ridden in years).

sclyde2

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 11:04:40 PM »
The new bike's maiden event on Sunday went very well.  It was on a course that I hadn't ridden for over 6 years.  I tried to get in some practice before the start, but ran out of time - and got a bit lost trying to shortcut back to the startline, and nearly missed the start!

The track upgrades since I last rode it were phenomenal.  It is one twisty track, through lush rain forest, with hardly anywhere to easily overtake, and not many opportunities to grab a sip from the water bottle.  It sure was gonna be tough to ride fast with so little track familiarity.  As expected, on the first few laps, I stuggled to keep with the front runners through the super twisty bits, getting gapped - not because of my bike, but because I didn't know what was around the next corner.  I was having major issues knowing when to push harder and when not to.  For the first half an hour I was able to close the gaps on the straighter pedally bits, but was struggling so much with flow, that it was getting tiring and had to back off a bit in the middle part of the race, and find my rhythm.  The last 15 minutes were a different story - in the 4th (last) lap I felt a lot more comfortable, and was linking the corners together much better.  Started catching others quite quickly, but ran out of track.  Ended up about 2 minutes behind the winner (~80minute event).

One thing I learnt is that I could stomp through the rougher short climbs in a much higher gear, and maintain momentum at a much higher speed than I am used to on my other bikes, all the while expending a surprisingly low amount of energy.  This was somewhat of a revelation, which I will explore further in future events.  I found that this technique was a massive gap closer (or opener).

I was surprised how well the bike cornered with the long reach/short stem combo.  As I rode it, I was initially thinking that there was no downside.  But I then i noticed that I was a bit slow with the uphill switchbacks - not sure if I can overcome this will more practice / improved technique.

Everywhere else the bike felt like a zero compromise ride.  Super plush but no noticeable bob, felt perfectly sized, and went up the really steep stuff so well that I would've preferred more super techy pinch climbs, as I felt I had an advantage on those around me when the track turned skywards.

All in all, very happy with the bike.

No events for 3 weeks.  Plan to wash it, check the spoke tensions, and convert it to tubeless.  The seat post clamp is still on the way.  I won't be changing anything else for a while - the air pressures (tyres and suspension) are gonna be left exactly as is.

After I do the longer event, I am gonna revisit last weekend's track for the next club event.  It was such a fun track.

carbonazza

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 02:52:11 AM »
...Ended up about 2 minutes behind the winner (~80minute event)...

Congrats!
Especially if they knew the course, and you didn't.

adbl

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »

I did read something about the M06 having a bit of play in the rear end, which worried me.  Having said that, I am little worried about some play developing on my FM058, as the hole in rocker where the top shock bolt passes through might enlarge, causing some play.  Gonna ask Hong fu if I can get some spare rocker links.

The play you are referring to is not from wear. It's that way from the build. I have that "play" in my bike (M06) same as what you described, the top shock mounting hole on the rocker is just a little too big for the bolt. You can barely notice it. Only when you're off the bike and pick it up by hand you can hear a little click. I would not be concerned about yours getting worse. I've been riding mine for about a year and it has not gotten worse.

sclyde2

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 11:47:09 PM »
I converted it to tubeless.  Now 10.17kg.  ~120g lighter than before.

nt5k

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
Build looks great sclyde2. I just bought the FM078. What tune does your rear shock have? I plan to use a Float RP2 that has M rebound, L velocity and 350 boost valve tune (I don't understand this all to well).  Any opinion? thx

sclyde2

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 05:52:22 PM »
Build looks great sclyde2. I just bought the FM078. What tune does your rear shock have? I plan to use a Float RP2 that has M rebound, L velocity and 350 boost valve tune (I don't understand this all to well).  Any opinion? thx

I just googled the FM078.  It appears to be a hardtail.  Given that you have some questions about a rear shock, did you mean FM058?

I have a manitou McLeod shock.  I believe that there is only one factory tune for each size McLeod shock.

As for fox shocks, I do have some experience with those.  I assume the "velocity" that you refer to is the compression damping tune.  Fox's L compression damping is suited more to frames with lower leverage ratios (around 2:1).  The FM058's leverage ratio is not low, around 2.6 - if I were getting a fox shock for the FM058, I'd be looking at the M compression tune shocks.

nt5k

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »
078 is the boost version of the 058. (I will be extremely disappointed if a hardtail arrives!)
http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_Products/Mountain_Frame/650B_29ER_Plus_Frame/2017/0322/481.html
Does the leverage ratio on your 058 seam pretty constant? No "platform"? I was thinking if the RP2's tune was not compatible I'd try x-fusions "micro-lite". I see no tune options for this shock (micro-lite).

sclyde2

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 01:59:32 AM »
078 is the boost version of the 058. (I will be extremely disappointed if a hardtail arrives!)
http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_Products/Mountain_Frame/650B_29ER_Plus_Frame/2017/0322/481.html
Does the leverage ratio on your 058 seam pretty constant? No "platform"? I was thinking if the RP2's tune was not compatible I'd try x-fusions "micro-lite". I see no tune options for this shock (micro-lite).

It sure is a bit confusing when they recycle the model designations.

As for leverage ratio curve, I don't know - I am no expert on that stuff.  But the standard air can (rather than high volume) seems to suit it.  As for platform, I notice no bobbing or wallow, but I don't think my shock is broken in yet (I read somewhere that it takes 10 or 20 hours).  Looking at the bike, with its main pivot above the chain (with a 32T chainring), has gotta give it some anti squat.

sclyde2

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 02:09:55 AM »
The 11g seatpost clamp arrived.  Bike now at 10.13kg.  That's very close to my 26er (10.11).  That's where it'll stay for a while.  Gonna put off the seatpost purchase, as I am not yet convinced that I need a setback post.  The carbon railled saddle can stay on the old bike for a while longer.

I got a little prep to do for a longer event (~3-3.5hrs)  in 9 days' time.  I got some of those kcnc clamps so I can run a bottle cage on the seatpost - going to try a no-stop strategy with no hydration backpack

charlesrg

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 04:11:18 PM »
The 11g seatpost clamp arrived.  Bike now at 10.13kg.  That's very close to my 26er (10.11).  That's where it'll stay for a while.  Gonna put off the seatpost purchase, as I am not yet convinced that I need a setback post.  The carbon railled saddle can stay on the old bike for a while longer.

I got a little prep to do for a longer event (~3-3.5hrs)  in 9 days' time.  I got some of those kcnc clamps so I can run a bottle cage on the seatpost - going to try a no-stop strategy with no hydration backpack

Is it going to be a flat terrain ? Carrying the extra weight uphill might be a bigger challenge when comparing to a quick refill stop or bottle exchange.

sclyde2

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 06:21:04 AM »

Is it going to be a flat terrain ? Carrying the extra weight uphill might be a bigger challenge when comparing to a quick refill stop or bottle exchange.

Yeah, thought about that.

I take all my carbs in liquid form (gels seem to usually be a cramp risk), so there's no "quick refill" for me.

Have done enough 100km+ races (not this weekend's) to know how long it takes me to stop.  I.e. gloves off, half fill the bottle with water, pull out the bag of powder (sustained energy or perpetum), carefully tear it and get it into the bottle, lid back on, shake it, fill the rest, gloves back on and get going again.  Can't rush it or the powder goes everywhere.  If it is one of those longer events, then there's a hydration pack to fill too (in the 100k+ events). Always takes longer than expected.

Not flat terrain - after about 10 mins of flatness, the next half hour is spent going mainly up.  Some ~15% stints.  Yeah, carrying an extra 700-800g up that is felt.  But I still reckon the additional energy (and time) required to carry it until the halfway feed station is not as bad as the alternative (stopping and mucking around with powder and a bottle, which is also quite disruptive).

carbonazza

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 04:46:07 AM »
...Have done enough 100km+ races (not this weekend's) to know how long it takes me to stop...
I'm just starting to do some, and there are so much things to learn about yourself, manage your effort, it is overwhelming.
I tried to find some resources on the web, to help but didn't find them really.