Author Topic: FM 158 and 258  (Read 8128 times)

RS VR6

samroy92

Re: FM 158 and 258
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
Yeah it looks like they are all the same variant of the 058 which you can find a few build threads on. It looks like they are offering $100 off if you order the 258 before April 30th. Not getting it shipped until July is a huge turn off though. One other minor thing is that the headtube angle is pretty steep, was hoping for something slacker. I am worried this frame will get twitchy at speed, but I will still consider getting it.

Also worth noting is the FM289 coming out sometime this year, might be worth waiting for.

sissypants

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:14:57 AM »
Can you share more information on the FM289?  hongfu-bikes.com is down so I can't look into it.

samroy92

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
Can you share more information on the FM289?  hongfu-bikes.com is down so I can't look into it.

They have 0 information about it on the site, not even a picture. But they should have info about it this year sometime. Another one in the works is the WCB-M-145 from workswellbikes. I inquired about info on that and they will send me an email when they have an update. Here: http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/MTB/Trail/20170809/153.html

sclyde2

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 10:55:06 PM »
....One other minor thing is that the headtube angle is pretty steep, was hoping for something slacker. I am worried this frame will get twitchy at speed, but I will still consider getting it.

Also worth noting is the FM289 coming out sometime this year, might be worth waiting for.

You reckon a 69 degree head angle on a 29er xc race bike is "pretty steep"?  What xc bike are you riding now?  I thought 69 degrees is just on the slack side of the average for all the major brands' FS xc weapons these days.  Yeah, the spark RC is half a degree slacker, but that is probably an outlier.

If you are instead looking for a trail bike, maybe you should be looking for something with more travel, is designed to handle a 120mm+ fork, slacker HA.  Cause the 058/258 ain't designed to be primarily a trail bike.

The other thread suggested that the 289 is a hardtail.  Have you heard otherwise?

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 06:02:03 AM »
....One other minor thing is that the headtube angle is pretty steep, was hoping for something slacker. I am worried this frame will get twitchy at speed, but I will still consider getting it.

You reckon a 69 degree head angle on a 29er xc race bike is "pretty steep"?  What xc bike are you riding now?  I thought 69 degrees is just on the slack side of the average for all the major brands' FS xc weapons these days.  Yeah, the spark RC is half a degree slacker, but that is probably an outlier.

I was thinking the same thing. It's spec'ed with a 100mm fork, so putting a 120mm would put you at 68. Yes it would slacken the seat tube a bit but the HA is on par with the SC Tallboy 3 which is definitely not an XC bike.

bxcc

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 07:09:54 AM »
On the 158 frame, it looks like there is a bend in the seat tube right at the linkage pivot. If that's the case, that could limit dropper applications. I realize that this is an XC frame but droppers are still nice to have.

charlesrg

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 08:55:44 PM »
On the 158 frame, it looks like there is a bend in the seat tube right at the linkage pivot. If that's the case, that could limit dropper applications. I realize that this is an XC frame but droppers are still nice to have.
Haven't seen any XC racer using droppers and winning races.
If you want a dropper why not go for a trail bike or all mountain ?

charlesrg

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »
Big confusion on this frames. Some drawings show boost, others don't. For me the brake mount should be on the chainstay not in the seatstay. I'm trying to find who has this frame with the chainstay brake mount in 15.5 and order one.

bxcc

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:55:28 AM »

Others may feel differently but here are my reasons.
Because I don't need or like long travel bikes.
The geometry looks great for this bike for what I want.
I have no desire to stand on a podium and I'm going to guess that most people buying this frame are in the same mindset.
I have used a dropper enough to know that it has it's merits on a cross country bike and it just makes riding more fun.
A 120mm front / 100mm rear travel bike with relatively short CS's, 73 degree SA, a 68 degree HA and a dropper would be a killer all around bike.

I used to be in the same mindset of "droppers are for big travel bikes" until I started using one. I put one on my trail bike last year and now I'm wanting one on my SS and my 29+ bike. To me it just seems odd that they would make it relatively modern in it's geometry but then limit it to not having a dropper. I know that I'm not alone in scratching this frame off of the list if that's the case. 

charlesrg

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:58:32 AM »

I used to be in the same mindset of "droppers are for big travel bikes" until I started using one. I put one on my trail bike last year and now I'm wanting one on my SS and my 29+ bike. To me it just seems odd that they would make it relatively modern in it's geometry but then limit it to not having a dropper. I know that I'm not alone in scratching this frame off of the list if that's the case.

I understand your point. Different Riders, different needs.
My answer on the bend is that If you make a very short chainstay you end up having to bend the seat tube to allow for tire clearance. I have even seen bikes with bend seatpost matching a bent seat tube.
We can't have it all. Big tires, big chainrings, dropper and short chainstay. I will trade a short chainstay and room for a 2.3 tire for no dropper :P

The issue is that the Chinese have no R&D so they just clone the frames and we end up with fewer choices, just a bunch of the same.

sclyde2

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 12:30:43 AM »

Didn't Annika Langvad run one in the Cape epic?  Maybe not on all the stages, but I did see it on one of those "what the pros ride" kind of articles.  I think she ended up winning by about an hour.

Julien Absalon, while not quite winning, has been known to often run a dropper post in recent world cups.  Have you heard of him?

charlesrg

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »

Didn't Annika Langvad run one in the Cape epic?  Maybe not on all the stages, but I did see it on one of those "what the pros ride" kind of articles.  I think she ended up winning by about an hour.

Julien Absalon, while not quite winning, has been known to often run a dropper post in recent world cups.  Have you heard of him?

On Absalon, perhaps that's the reason he didn't win. He is tall enough not to need one and carrying the extra weight would probably moved him back. Any proof reference ?

On a stage race a pro can use for a single stage if they already have a long advantage based on sponsor reque$t.

Show me one of top 3 podium on World Cup XC race using dropper and you will change me.

cbenj42

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »
On Absalon, perhaps that's the reason he didn't win. He is tall enough not to need one and carrying the extra weight would probably moved him back. Any proof reference ?

The extra weight of the dropper would likely impact Absalon less, as he is a relatively heavier rider at about 70.5kg. He produces more absolute power than a smaller rider with the same W/Kg ratio, and has a smaller ratio of bike weight to body weight, both of which would offset the extra weight of the dropper post.

Show me one of top 3 podium on World Cup XC race using dropper and you will change me.

Maxime Marotte used a dropper at the opening round of the XC World Cup this season in Stellenbosch. He finished 3rd, a few bike lengths behind Gaze and Schurter. Other racers in the top-10 who used droppers were Florian Vogel (7th) and Titouan Carod (5th).

charlesrg

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
In the topic of this frame.

Have you guys noticed that the Brake Caliper sometimes is mounted in the chainstay and sometimes in the seatstay ?

I have an M06 and it's mounted in the chainstay because the seatstay flexes with the wheel travel. If no shock is installed the frame still stays erect, the seatstay acts like a spring.

Wondering if anyone has a 258 in hands and can check if there is flex or smooth operation in the whole travel.