Author Topic: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.  (Read 75841 times)

Vipassana

Re: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »
I've been neglectful of posting up pictures of these bikes. We've all been riding then a lot, or at least as work allows us to.  I'm still absolutely in love with the bike and super happy with its performance.  My coworkers feel the same way with theirs.

Here is my bike and the gloss/matte black bike out at a local trail:

Here is my bike, the red/silver-blue bike, and a brand new IP-036 that my boss just built ( it's a really sweet bike that turned out well and it makes me want one...) :

Vipassana

« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
We also competed in a race yesterday (we're fast becoming team Chiner with 4 I play bikes and one Big S and a nice Santa Cruz).  It was a dawn to dusk relay ride on a ~14 mile loop. We had 3 Duo teams in total at our camp. Each rider did 4 laps. 

The morning started out chilly and rainy.  The trail was a mud bog for the first 3 or 4 laps.  After that it was really nice, damp, hardpack.  At the very end if the day, a storm blew in and looked pretty fierce; the city nearby had 50mph wind gusts and hail.  So we packed it in. But technically be probably could have squeezed in another lap on each team.

All of the bikes preformed great.  The IP-036 has a flat.  My 256 and the gloss/matte black 256 both had shifting troubles in gears 9-11 (delayed shifting).  This trouble came after we both rode through a deep mud puddle.  I found out later that this was due to water and grit getting into the shift cable line in the chain stay. This caused the cable to have too much friction fur the derailleur to pull it.  When I opened the trap door on the bottom of the frame, muddy water poured out.  I will clean out the cable route and pack it with grease. Or maybe drill out the stops and run a cable housing throughout add others have done. I'm nervous to try this though.  I will also look for a way to seal that little sir a bit better.

The highlight of the day was the hipster at the next tent over telling me just how light his SS, rigid bike was at just above 19 lbs and how his titanium frame has been awesome and had only cracked twice (!).  I thought to myself, I have gears and a suspension fork and my bike is only 1.5lbs heavier!

Overall a fun event.

MTB2223

« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
Nice update ! It's always a pleasure to read your extensive updates (in this topic and in your Barn Burner 2014 topic).

Or maybe drill out the stops and run a cable housing throughout add others have done. I'm nervous to try this though.
Don't be nervous, it's not that difficult. The only difficulty is getting from the rear to the bottom bracket because there're some blocks on that way. You have to put some effort in finding the right way for the hose, but it's not impossible.

The highlight of the day was the hipster at the next tent over telling me just how light his SS, rigid bike was at just above 19 lbs and how his titanium frame has been awesome and had only cracked twice (!).  I thought to myself, I have gears and a suspension fork and my bike is only 1.5lbs heavier!
Smile! And you had more fun with building you bike :)

Cnasta

« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
Thnx for the helpfull updates. Glad to hear you still like your bike :) Makes me even more sure to buy one (parts allready ordered, just trying to choose my paintjob carefully) :)

You all run 1x11 right? Do you know whether, in 1x10 (will be same I guess) a 34/36 chainring is possible? I want to go for the 34t Oval chainring of absolute black, but not sure this will fit. Can seems to find build with an oval chainring online... :)

Vipassana

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »
The paint job is always the hardest part!

Yes, we all run the X01 system. I can't speak too much on the 1x10 systems as I'm not too familiar with them. However, I saw them everywhere at the race so they must be doing something right.  The cost of such a setup compared to the XX1/X01 is enticing.  I think I would miss the 10T gear, but perhaps a 34T front chainring would help there.  I might try a 1x10 setup on my wife's bike when I build her one sometime.

As for the oval ring, I really want to try one as well. I'm waiting for a spiderless 32T version for the BB30 X01 crank set and then I'll purchase that way I could save some weight while I'm at it.  If you get your installed, definitively tell us what you think of it.

Patrick C.

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2015, 02:08:32 AM »
Is that a new saddle?  I've been trying to find more info on the spider web saddles, since I broke a rail on my old saddle.  I got an Origin8 saddle from Amazon since it was cheap and only took 2 days.  Feels OK so far, but it is a bit heavy.

MTB2223

« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »
Is that a new saddle?  I've been trying to find more info on the spider web saddles, since I broke a rail on my old saddle.  I got an Origin8 saddle from Amazon since it was cheap and only took 2 days.  Feels OK so far, but it is a bit heavy.
http://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=mtb+saddle+spider

:)

brmeyer135

« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »
A good point somebody mentioned in chinertown, the spider seats allow road junk through to your clothes - just a thought.
Otherwise, if you google carbon bike seat in aliexpress you will come up with tons - here is a good one that has been pawned as a specialized seat(doesn't stay up long when painted that way):  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Specials-NO-LOGO-Full-Carbon-Fiber-Bicycle-Saddle-Road-MTB-Bike-Carbon-Saddle-seat-Matte-3K/32235280880.html

Patrick C.

« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
Thanks guys-  I knew I had seen some posts on here before about the web saddles, but couldn't find them. Are they all the same?  For around $10 for the web saddles or $25 for the full composite ones it won't hurt to just try one, but if there is a 'better' version out there I'd like to get it. 

MTB2223

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2015, 02:36:56 AM »
Thanks guys-  I knew I had seen some posts on here before about the web saddles, but couldn't find them. Are they all the same?  For around $10 for the web saddles or $25 for the full composite ones it won't hurt to just try one, but if there is a 'better' version out there I'd like to get it.
I bought this spider saddle with the thoughts "for this money, it won't stay long". After four month and 800 km, I've still the same saddle. :)
But a saddle is personal. Not everybody have got the same ass (sit bones).

Vipassana

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2015, 06:05:50 PM »
I think all the spider web style saddles are the same.  And the color selection is awesome.  It's held up really well.  It's not terrible comfortable.  But it's not terrible either.  Things always seem to go numb for me ~30 miles in and after that I'm good to go for quite a while.

I would like to try one of the carbon ones as well.

NazZaR

« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2015, 02:18:14 AM »
I've been delinquent in updating this thread.  Parts have started to arrive from iplay and elsewhere.  We have received one frame IP-256 frame, and many of the smaller carbon parts like bars and posts.  The wheels were shipped last week and should arrive late this week or early next.  The two frames getting paint will ship this week. 

IP-SP7 Seat Post - 180g:

By the way, is this weight for 350mm seatpost or 400mm?

Cnasta

« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2015, 03:26:15 AM »
How is the ride holding up? Everything stil in order? Feel free to post some more pictures ;)

Vipassana

« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2015, 09:27:30 AM »

By the way, is this weight for 350mm seatpost or 400mm?

I actually don't think I ever measured the length... I would think it's 350mm though.  I just installed it as I play sent it.

How is the ride holding up? Everything stil in order? Feel free to post some more pictures ;)

The bike is holding up great. No issues with the carbon offsets at all.  I've been getting a bit of creaking out of the BB recently, but only on high torque efforts. It's possible that the grease for washed out on the last couple of rides and the mud/dust got in so I'll tear it down soon and regrease everything.   I'm being this will fix things right up.

I don't think I have any new pictures. I still need to install that rigid fork and will post when I do that. 

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
Bumping the most viewed thread on Chinertown - almost at 10k views. Great pics, detailed and concise writing, and three bad ass bikes.. Thanks for the awesome thread, Vipassana!