Author Topic: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.  (Read 75832 times)

Vipassana

Re: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
The first two bikes in the stands:

Mine:

Installing the rotors.  Shimano has a neat locking washer/bolt setup to prevent loose bolts from vibration:

The SRAM X01 cassette is a thing of beauty:

Except for the 42 tooth sprocket, the other 10 sprockets are machined from a single piece of material!  That explains the super light weight, but also the high cost.

Wheels ready to go:

Vipassana

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2014, 02:12:20 PM »
The SRAM X01 derailleur is also exceptionally cool.  This is my first SRAM derailleur is a LONG time and I really like the built in lock which opens the unit making rear wheels removal a breeze.  Also, the sprockets on it are narrow/wide profile.  Crazy.

And here are some close-ups of my frame:

I have to say, the rear brake cable was incredible difficult to route in my frame and the red/silver frame.  Something around the BB area really seemed to grab it and hold it tight making feeding or pull the housing through were difficult.  However, the matte/gloss black frame was super easy.  we did that one last so perhaps we were more experienced?  But in reality, I think something was a bit different in the first two frame.  I nearly threw the bike out after I finally successfully routed the brake line only to realize I forgot to put the frame guide/insert on the line first.   >:(

Some pictures of my BB30 install tool in action:

The tool made the bearing install a breeze. Very, very simple.  Starting them straight was the only thing to watch for.  However, my frame seemed easier for whatever the reason, like the bearings were looser than the other two frames.  I REALLY hope that this does not translate to creaking/squeaking later on.  This BB30 system has me nervous.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:14:32 PM by Vipassana »

Vipassana

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
Beautiful X01 carbon crank arms with weight:

SRAM 32-T chainring with weight:

2014 Rockshox SID XX G2 w/ lockout Fork with weight:

Rockshox front axle only:

SRAM X01 shifter weight (I forgot the clamp!):

Gloss/Matte black bike in process:

Vipassana

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Friends working on the red/silver frame:

Crank and boots installed:

This is a good place to mention that the plastic tension ring on the BB30 crank is very terrible designed.  It cannot exert any force before it cross-threads or jumps threads.  Unfortunately, force is required to pull the crank spindle through the bearings and take up the play.  On my bike, it gave us fits for whatever the reason.  On the other two bikes we it worked OK, but was still kind of a pain.

I'm most worried about this BB30 system.  I hope it is robust enough to get me through a couple thousand miles before needed a rebuild. 

Oh, chain weight with all links.  We had to remove ~6 links.

Filling the tires:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:31:09 PM by Vipassana »

Vipassana

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
Sorry for the erratic picture posting and large gaps in the process.  We were too excited to think to take proper pictures of every step and all the things we learned.

Here are some close-ups of my bike:

Here are the bikes nearly finished or completely finished:

Vipassana

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Oh, and in a first (small) attempt at weight shaving, we pulled the direct-mount bolts and replaced them with small plastic "Christmas tree" plugs.  We also capped off the front derailleur line behind the seat tube to keep junk out.

brmeyer135

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
Looks like the blue/orange needs to switch the stem and grips to the black/white bike
Otherwise, it is really cool to see the creativity put into these chiner frames....and ya'lls look great

Interestinly, the shifter and rear derailleur are heavier than I would have thought...you didn't happen to weigh the whole xo1 package did you?
I'll start a new thread on that.
Thanks for posting.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »
Really liking the Blue/Orange bike, particularly the blue color. 

Makes me wonder if I would be able to feel a difference between my XX1 and X01, and when the time comes to replace my cassette I may think about saving a little money and go with X01.

Let us know what you guys think about getting the rear derailleur adjusted.  Took me a while before I figured out the issue I as having, when I installed XX1 on my FS, it was easier the second time around.

For the rear brake cable, did you try pushing the brake line from the caliper end, head tube end, or both?  I always found it easier to route the cable from back to front/top.

Awesome pictures!  Thank you very much for sharing them on Chinertown.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:51:30 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2014, 03:53:38 AM »
Which valves did you put on? Are they Presta or Schrader?
Could you please give more details on how you fill the sealant through the valve?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2014, 06:54:03 AM »
Could you please give more details on how you fill the sealant through the valve?

Those are Presta valves.  Stan's has a "Stans Injector" that you can use to add sealant without removing the tire.  You do this by removing the valve core, screwing on the Stans Injector hose to the valve stem, and injecting the sealant into the tire.  Then you remove the injector, replace the valve core, and air up the tire.  Makes it very easy.  The Stans Injector also works with Orange Sealant which I like a little more than Stans.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »
Thanks.  So here is the injector: http://www.notubes.com/2oz-Tire-Sealant-Injector-P348.aspx

I remember seing this and thought it was for Schrader valves only.
But it is just the core remover tool they provide that is for Schrader.

I have already a seringue, a tube, and a presta valve adapter.
I will try to assemble them together.
But need to find a presta remover tool.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
Wow.  That Matt / Gloss combo is awesome !

This. That may well be the finish of my next chiner.

Awesome looking rides, man.. I think you made the right choice with the black forks over the white ones.

I also routed my brake line from bottom to top and it was fairly easy.

Thanks for the update.

Patrick C.

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »
Awesome bikes!  Looking forward to hear how you do in the race next month.

Vipassana

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
Interestinly, the shifter and rear derailleur are heavier than I would have thought...you didn't happen to weigh the whole xo1 package did you?
I'll start a new thread on that.
Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the compliments.  I posted up my weights in your thread.

Really liking the Blue/Orange bike, particularly the blue color. 

Makes me wonder if I would be able to feel a difference between my XX1 and X01, and when the time comes to replace my cassette I may think about saving a little money and go with X01.

Let us know what you guys think about getting the rear derailleur adjusted.  Took me a while before I figured out the issue I as having, when I installed XX1 on my FS, it was easier the second time around.

For the rear brake cable, did you try pushing the brake line from the caliper end, head tube end, or both?  I always found it easier to route the cable from back to front/top.

Awesome pictures!  Thank you very much for sharing them on Chinertown.

Thanks.  I really enjoy the blue as well.  I could see adding more of it to the frame.  It's a great powder blue and looks fine in matte.  I am thinking that blue and a green for my Chinese road bike next year...

By all accounts, the difference between the XX1 and X01 is not perceptible. And the weights are really within standard deviations of each other at 40-50 grams difference.  So many are left wondering why the premium for XX1 or why X01 even exists?

I'm still futzing with the derailleur setup...  At first, there was some grinding.  I readjusted/setup everything a couple of times with no avail.  At the recommendation of a buddy, I cleaned off the factory sticky chain gunk and reoiled the chain with Finishline Dry Teflon lube.  The grinding was nearly gone.  Some sprinting/heavy loading and the grind was all gone.  It is rougher in the 10T sprocket though.  And I think that's due to the very small radius the chain links must make.

Today on my ride into work, it started getting noise back there.  I think it's dry again.  It certainly isn't out of adjustment as I played with the barrel adjuster for 30 minutes while riding as well as pushed the triggers gently to see if the noise lessened.  It really sounds like it's out, but I just no it is not.  Maybe time to readjust the b-screw again?  Strange.  I worked in a bike shop for a while and can dial in any rear derailleur in a minute or two.  This one is tricky.  :-\

I pushed the brake lines from the rear to the front.  I was forced to as the Shimano lines have a crimped on rear banjo bolt fitting.  I pushed the shifter cable from the top to the bottom.  The brake line was very tricky as it seemed to get caught/punched on the aluminum BB shell.

Presta.  By American Classic.  35mm. Removable core.  As mentioned I used the Stan's injector.  With a modified tip to hold the presta valve since the AC stems lack some threads on the end.  Really the injector is a rip off and you can easily make your own for half the cost or less.  But I needed it the day I bought it for a race the next morning.

But it is just the core remover tool they provide that is for Schrader.

I have already a seringue, a tube, and a presta valve adapter.
I will try to assemble them together.
But need to find a presta remover tool.

The Stan's tip fits both valve types, but not well.  Some rubber tubing stretched over the end of the syringe and then over the valve works better.  And is cheaper.  Make your own if you can and save the money.  For valve removal, I just use a tiny crescent wrench.  Be very gently they don't need to be very tight at all.  Just barely snug.

Awesome looking rides, man.. I think you made the right choice with the black forks over the white ones.

I also routed my brake line from bottom to top and it was fairly easy.

Thanks for the update.

Thank you!  The black is more subtle and definitely looks great.

Awesome bikes!  Looking forward to hear how you do in the race next month.

Thank you.  And I'm super nervous for this race.  It will be the furthest I've ever been on an MTB  and nearly the furthest I've ever been on any bike.  108 mile record on my road bike.  I just keep training and trying to get my mental state right.  "The mind quits long before the body fails."

I'm also excited to see your final paint/decal scheme.

Vipassana

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »
I've been road riding my new bike the past few days to make sure everything is sound before I hit the trail.

Last night I did 20 miles and all was well except that I made the bike equivalent of forgetting to tighten your lug nuts...  I left the rear axle loose and the lever flipped at some point and the thru axle nut fell off somewhere in a 10 mile radius of my house. :unamused:  I was able to ride home with no damage to the bike, but the back wheel was loose in the frame and my shifting was off.  I was able to find some one with a zip tie so I could hold the axle in the frame to get home.

But now I have no thru axle nut.  I poured through my drawers and bolt jars, but couldn't find an M12x1.5 nut of any type.  I dilled out an M10 nut and tried to tap it to M12x15, but the tap was too cheap and the nut was too hard (grade 10.9).  So at midnight last night I was out in the garage redneck engineering a fix so I could ride the bike to work today.  Since the thru axle was hollow, I drilled it out a bit over and tapped it to M8.  Then I threaded in a bolt and some washers and then flipped the quick release lever to tighten the system up.  Looks janky, works well.  Today I'll wander down to the machine shop and make a replacement nut.

The ride into work was trouble free except my chain is a bit dry (it seems oil hungry, but perhaps that's because it's new?).  It was 23 miles, but it really didn't feel bad; this bike pedals nearly as easy as my road bike.  In fact, my cruising average wasn't too far off my road bike considering the wide, knobby tires and lack of aero position.

I got hell from the plant manager for having a bike in the office area though.  He tried to get me to part it outside.  I kindly informed him it wasn't going to sit outside in the AZ summer sun for 10 hours a day in an area where anyone of hundreds of people could tamper with it.  He backed down and told me to get with the facilities group about an indoor bike rack.

Currently it's tucked behind the copier.