Author Topic: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.  (Read 75743 times)

Sussed.

Re: IP-256SL Build: Three times the fun.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »

Have you got a Fat Bike build in pipeline too ?   ;D

Vipassana

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
Ha! Yeah, that would be one hell of a Fat bike.

That's actually a center lock OZ rim from an F1 car.  Actually, maybe not F1, more like junior F1.  I found it on Craigslist and was going to make a coffee table out of it some day.

Vipassana

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:18 AM »
Well after what seemed like the longest day ever at work, I was able to get home and see what Peter had sent me.  Wheels!

As with everything we've ordered, there were 3 sets of nearly identically built wheels.  The only difference was hub/nipple color.  We have two sets in red and a single set in black.

All sets are built as follows:

N-SS IP-HR930C Wheelset
  • IP-HR930C - Carbon, hookless rim
  • Novatec D771SB Front Hub
  • Novatec D772SB Rear Hub
  • Sapim Delta spokes
  • Sapim SILS nipples

This is the profile of this rim:

The weight listed on iPlay's website is perhaps a bit optimistic at 1525g.  The three sets I have in my hands averaged exactly 700g (front) and 890g (rear).  The range on the three front wheels was 3 grams.  The range on the rear wheels was 10 grams.  Not bad at all.

So why such a W I D E wheel for an ultra-light XC machine?  Well, a variety of reasons.  Traditional XC rims have an inner width of 19-23mm.  These rims are 26mm,  In the past two years, the industry has been moving towards wider rims across the board, from DH to XC.  And a lot of this has to do with the advent of tubeless tires.  A wider rim has several advantages:
  • Allows sidewalls of tire to stay more "vertical", offering more support while cornering, even at lower pressures.  As the two beads more further apart, the tire is more supported in the rim rather than pivoting on the rim when the beads are close.
  • Allows a smaller width tire to perform as a wider tire.  This allows the use of a smaller tire casing for weight savings which can easily offset the small increase in rim width.  For example, a 2.2" tire might act as a 2.35" equivalent.
  • Increase wheel stiffness.
  • Large reduction in "burbing" of the tubeless tire on the rim at lower pressures.
  • Increase traction and comfort from reduced pressure needed.

Or at least this is the theory.  I will see how this plays out in practice.  Perhaps it is all marketing, but it does make good sense on paper, so I suspect there is some truth to it.  The above reasons aside, I am looking forward to the reduction in rotational weight over my previous wheelset (~2100-2200g!) and a huge increase in robustness and stiffness over my previous alloy wheels.  Opting for a more traditional width rim would have yielded a decrease in weight (marginal), but I suspect the benefits of the increased width will offset the ~100g total per wheelset penalty.

We also decided to try hookless rims on this build as well.  Many of the industry players have started to convert to hookless on carbon.  Again, there must be a good reason?  Well there is.  Hookless beads allow for an easier/cheaper to manufacture rim.  The rim edge also gets more continuous carbon fibers so it is stronger against impacts than the older hook design.

One last note before the pictures. These wheels were packaged with the utmost care.  They were carefully wrapped with protective caps to prevent the axles from damaging rims/spokes on neighbor wheels.  The cardboard boxes they were shipped in has custom inserts to hold the wheels in place and fixed relative to one another.  My kudos to iPlay.

Rear:

Front:

Front weight:

Rear weight:

The UD matte finish has some neat patterns in the right lighting.  Subtle but neat.

Outer width (you can see the hookless profile here):

Inner width:

Rear hub in red:

Front hub in black:

Oolak

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Those are really good weights for such wide rimmed wheels. What are your initial impressions of the Novatech hubs so far? I'm currently trying to decide whether to go with the Novatech or some Bike Hub Store hubs.

Vipassana

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
Those are really good weights for such wide rimmed wheels. What are your initial impressions of the Novatech hubs so far? I'm currently trying to decide whether to go with the Novatech or some Bike Hub Store hubs.

Initial impression is good.  Except I wanted white hubs instead of black.  But they were not offered.  The rear cassette feels a bit tight/sticky, but it spins very smoothly.  I really can't say for sure until I start riding on them if they are quality or not.

Vipassana

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
Forks showed up.

I opted for black, but the white looks really sharp in person.  I'm regretting black now...

SIDs:

brmeyer135

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
I think the black will look better.
The white will become the focal point unless you add graphics or something(which should be the focal), soooo....I see your bike and start looking at the fork because it is jumps out being white.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »
Both forks look good, I like that you opted for the lockouts as well.  Never thought much about having a remote lockout until I got on on my FS 29er, now having the ability to lockout the suspension on climbs is really nice.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:22 AM »
With the wheels came some spare drop outs and chain suck protectors:

Weights:

Protector - 7g

Drop out 1 - 21g

Drop out 2 - 30g

MTB2223

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
Very nice ! Nice to see the builds.

Can you create a short video of the sound of the Novatec rear hub ?

Oolak

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
Very nice ! Nice to see the builds.

Can you create a short video of the sound of the Novatec rear hub ?

If it's not asking too much I would really like to hear these hubs, as well.

Vipassana

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
Sure thing, guys.  I can probably make a video tonight for you.  I need to go for a training ride first.  8)

brmeyer135

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »
You may look at this also:

Title:  Fm028 Carbon Clincher Novatec Hub Sound
any other hubs that you want to hear?
known hubs by members:  dtswiss, BHS, funsomething
May create another post for that.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 08:24:51 AM »
My Bitex hub sounds similar, only a little more busy as it a 6-pawl hub while the Novatec is only 4-pawls.  The smoothest, best sounding hub in my opinion is still the DT Swiss hubs with the star ratchet system that is on my XR1450 Spline wheels.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Oolak

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:50 AM »
My Bitex hub sounds similar, only a little more busy as it a 6-pawl hub while the Novatec is only 4-pawls.  The smoothest, best sounding hub in my opinion is still the DT Swiss hubs with the star ratchet system that is on my XR1450 Spline wheels.

So how to have wheel built with DT Swiss hubs? You have to buy them and send them to your chindor or they stock them and build them all in-house?