Author Topic: best current hardtail frame  (Read 9913 times)

huskydriver

best current hardtail frame
« on: June 20, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
Hi, I've gone through a few carbon road and cross frames, but now am looking for a mtb frame.  I currently ride a 2015 Trek Superfly 27.5 in 15.5" frame.  I'm about 5'6" or 168cm's tall and have always liked a smaller frame that I can toss around on the tight singletrack trails, but races have now gone to more open fireroad or doubletrack.  I've been looking to size up as I've been feeling a bit cramped.  As the subject states, what the current best frame in the chinese carbon market?  I was looking at a Workswell last year(i forgot the model, but got good reviews).  I did notice a model from ICAN model XT275.  Can anyone give me some reviews or suggestions?  Thanks.

Rich

bxcc

Re: best current hardtail frame
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:38:39 AM »
I built up one of these from Peter for my daughter and I'm extremely pleased with it. It even fit some Maxxis Rekon 2.6 in the back. 68 degree HA with a 120mm fork seems just about right.

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1465

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1343.0.html

huskydriver

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:04:59 PM by huskydriver »

bxcc

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
Why those frames?

All those are steep in the front, long in the back, and short in the top. Even by mordern XC standards.

I have 2 workswell frames. Their after the sale service is almost nonexistent. Will not get another.
I have 1 Tideace frame and their communication is excellent. Not sure about after the sale.

After building 5 generic bikes, the 27.5 frame from Peter I linked would easily be my top pick. What about it turns you away?

huskydriver

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
To be honest, i'm not so sure how the slack head angle is gonna affect my handling.  Trident Thrust has a head angle of 70*, is it really that bad? The Tideace is also a 70* head angle from their geometry.  Is it really that bad?  I'm a pretty seasoned racer, but over the last few years i haven't done a whole lot of racing.  I would consider my handling skills pretty good.  I race as a CAT 1 and haven't really worried about head angle in my past builds.  I didn't like the Tideace because I wanted to go with a BSA bb standard.

By the way, I'm old school, started racing in the 90's until mid 2000's.  I like just traditional looking hardtails, simple looking.  I don't even care for fulls suspension or really the 29r platform.  That is why I went the 27.5 route when getting back into mt. biking.  I'm probably gonna order two frames, a 27.5 and a 29r.  That Trident Thrust seems to fit my needs and the geometry seems to fit my needs.  I've always raced a smaller frame to throw around and handle around the tight technical singletrack, but racing nowadays seem to be getting away from that with more fire roads and doubletrack, hence the reason I may go with a 29r frame as well.  I'm not a big fan of the funky top tube on the frame you linked.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:47:26 PM by huskydriver »

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:52:47 AM »
To be honest, i'm not so sure how the slack head angle is gonna affect my handling.  Trident Thrust has a head angle of 70*, is it really that bad? The Tideace is also a 70* head angle from their geometry.  Is it really that bad?  I'm a pretty seasoned racer, but over the last few years i haven't done a whole lot of racing.  I would consider my handling skills pretty good.  I race as a CAT 1 and haven't really worried about head angle in my past builds.  I didn't like the Tideace because I wanted to go with a BSA bb standard.

By the way, I'm old school, started racing in the 90's until mid 2000's.  I like just traditional looking hardtails, simple looking.  I don't even care for fulls suspension or really the 29r platform.  That is why I went the 27.5 route when getting back into mt. biking.  I'm probably gonna order two frames, a 27.5 and a 29r.  That Trident Thrust seems to fit my needs and the geometry seems to fit my needs.  I've always raced a smaller frame to throw around and handle around the tight technical singletrack, but racing nowadays seem to be getting away from that with more fire roads and doubletrack, hence the reason I may go with a 29r frame as well.  I'm not a big fan of the funky top tube on the frame you linked.

That sounds reasonable to me.  ;D 

I've never had an issue with 70 or 71 degree head angle until I started riding something slacker. I'm not advocating for some slacked out new school rig, but there is a happy medium. My 29er SS is at 69.5 and i think it's great and I have a trail bike if I want to go slacker. I think 70 would be a good balance as you can easily put a 120mm fork on it to get 69 degrees or so and see how you like it. TT and CS length is something else to consider. I would put 430mm CS length at my absolute max as most modern 29er's are at that length. Out of the ones listed, this would be my choice.
https://m.alibaba.com/product/60620658763/Bicycle-Frame-mtb-29er-27-5.html?spm=a2706.7843299.1998817009.16.43ec696b4ckTNf

huskydriver

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 11:31:59 PM »
I just ordered the trident thrust.  I’ll let you know how it turns out.  That tideace is a nice frame, but in the end the geometry seemed a bit off to me.  I’m riding a 15.5” trek superbly and it’s just slightly cramped.  The thrust TT length is just a bit longer and can get in a BSA BB.  Appreciate your thoughts!