Author Topic: Frame choice  (Read 1423 times)

woodsrider

Frame choice
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
New to the group - first post and drowning in information.  I have wanted to try a chinese frame for some time and now my wife needs a new bike.  So, she will be the tester.  She is not an aggressive rider and won't be bombing or hucking. - just some moderate cross country.

There is so much data that it produces analysis paralysis.  One thing I have noticed on this forum is that there are a few members who know these frames well enough to point out differences among them.  So, I would be grateful for a little help and have narrowed my search parameters down to the following:

Hardtail 29er
BSA threaded BB 68/73
Rear thru axle
Don't need boost
I'd like to stay at or below 70 degrees for head tube angle
Different choice of colors other than black but not a deal killer

I've been looking at the Workswell  WCB-M-062, which is $466 delivered.  Not sure what else is comparable.  The BSA BB seems to eliminate a lot of the other brands but that's just what I like.

Thanks for any help.

carbonazza

Re: Frame choice
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 05:23:53 AM »
I've been looking at the Workswell  WCB-M-062

You may have missed some recent posts about Workswell.
As long as it is good, fine, but if you get an issue, they are inexistant.
And the 062 seems to crack around the seat tube after a while.
I have one, but it is still good.

Peter from Carbonspeed maybe a bit more expensive, but stands behind his products.
Except a very recent rear brake caliper sizing issue (that doesn't seem to be resolved so far...) he always honored his warranties.
I bought frames from Tideace and Carbonda too, but never had any issue to test their warranty.

To me it looks like a car insurance.
You can pay an extra for full coverage. Statistically for nothing.
Some people prefer to pay it anyway, for peace of mind.
While some other save the money for something else, living a more "riskier" life with their car :)

tripleDot

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »
2 of the 3 Chinese cf frames are from XM Carbon Speed. And got a 4th frame being XMCS honouring their warranty (cracked chain stay). I was able to have the cracked frame diy repaired and build it into a single speed.

With these Chinese prices being low compared to "A" brands, I wouldn't want to go for the cheapest. Lessen the risk. And so far, Peter from XMCS have proven the extra on the tag price was worth it.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

woodsrider

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:18:00 PM »
It just so happens that, since my original post, I have done some more research and have pretty much decided on the CS-057 frame.  I have emailed Peter about some details and awaiting his response.   Workswell has been very prompt at answering all my questions but I had no idea about their issues.  Besides, the WW frame I was interested in has a 71 degree head tube angle, which I'm not crazy about.

Thanks for the responses and I will post updates.