Author Topic: Need advice for frame size for my daughter  (Read 8169 times)

ChrisCarbon

Need advice for frame size for my daughter
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:38:55 AM »
Hey guys!

I need some advice for what frame size to buy for my daugther.
She is around 155cm.
Was thinking 15" in 26" wheelsize or even 27".
Anyone have a similar height kid maybe?  :)

chansen

Re: Need advice for frame size for my daughter
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
My daughter is 11 and the same height. I built up a 26er this spring with this frame:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap-price-stock-frame-2014-cube-frame-mtb-bike-frame-cube-mountian-bike-frame-size-14/32249756705.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1a694c4d4BbChj

Note that it takes a 27.5 fork, and the chainstays are only 5mm shorter than the similar 27.5 frame, so I'm thinking this frame is not really a 26er, but more like a 27.5er. If that appeals to you, go for it, because it was a nice frame to build up and inexpensive.

I wanted a 26er because I had some nice 26" wheels from an old race bike I could use. As she grows, we might get a little more use out of it by putting 27.5 rims on it with a longer stem.

Some others here have gone with the Tideace FM-M001, available from multiple sellers. There is a thread in this subforum on a build with this frame. If I did it again, I might go with this frame. That said, my daughter is quite happy with her bike. Built up, it's about 21 lbs, and that is a huge advantage for her over heavier kids bikes which can be north of 30 lbs.

ChrisCarbon

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 02:55:01 AM »
Hey chansen!

Thanks for your reply :D

That is a very nice frame! I am in the same situation as you: I have a lot of bike parts laying around, carbon wheels 26er, bars, seatpost etc.
The plan is to build up a sweet 26er for her, then switch to 27.5er wheels after some years, just like you did. Add a longer stem as she grows. Hopefully she can keep this bike for some years.
She is only 9 at the moment, but the build will be a winter project, so she will get it next spring when she turns 10.
What size crankarms did you go for? I was thinking 155mm, but perhaps 160mm would be better.

bxcc

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
My daughter is now 155cm as well. I would definitely stick with 15” frame or larger. Here is her bike that was last winters project. Even at 4 feet 11 inches, she fit fine.

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1343.0.html

ldavies

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »
My daughter is 11 and the same height. I built up a 26er this spring with this frame:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap-price-stock-frame-2014-cube-frame-mtb-bike-frame-cube-mountian-bike-frame-size-14/32249756705.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1a694c4d4BbChj

Note that it takes a 27.5 fork, and the chainstays are only 5mm shorter than the similar 27.5 frame, so I'm thinking this frame is not really a 26er, but more like a 27.5er. If that appeals to you, go for it, because it was a nice frame to build up and inexpensive.

I wanted a 26er because I had some nice 26" wheels from an old race bike I could use. As she grows, we might get a little more use out of it by putting 27.5 rims on it with a longer stem.

Some others here have gone with the Tideace FM-M001, available from multiple sellers. There is a thread in this subforum on a build with this frame. If I did it again, I might go with this frame. That said, my daughter is quite happy with her bike. Built up, it's about 21 lbs, and that is a huge advantage for her over heavier kids bikes which can be north of 30 lbs.

I would be interested in knowing if you have tried to fit a 27.5" wheel into the rear dropouts with a reasonable sized tire.  Now that you have the bike you can know if it would fit.  That woudl really make this a perfect upgrade frame maybe.

chansen

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 07:36:51 AM »
I would be interested in knowing if you have tried to fit a 27.5" wheel into the rear dropouts with a reasonable sized tire.  Now that you have the bike you can know if it would fit.  That woudl really make this a perfect upgrade frame maybe.
With 26x2.25 Schwalbe tires, there is about 1 3/8" clearance toward the bottom bracket. Could work.

emu26

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 04:57:24 PM »
My 13 yr old son is 150cm and I have just built this for him  http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,1763.0.html

Stand-over height to the top tube at the nose of the saddle is 695 mm and that is with 27.5 rims mounted with 2.2 rubber.  Cranks are 170mm, as that is what was on the small Giant Boulder he was already riding.

He manages with no problems to date. Stand over is tight and will be until he has had his growth spurt but that is just teaching him how to get on and off properly and how to "bail" if needed.

BB height with 27.5 wheels  is 305mm to centre of bb so depending on the length of cranks you use and the types of trails she will be riding you could fit 26" wheels to it.

Communitcation was great with the seller, frame shipped quickly and arrived quickly. Comes with headset, bottom bracket, seat post clamp, two sets of drop outs and spare frame plugs for cable entry / exit.  BB feels reasonable quality but I didn't use it as I got a red one to match the other highlights. Taking into account what is included I think it is pretty good value.

Not many km's on it yet but so far, yes I would buy it again.

Hope that helps.